Internet cafe in las terrenas?

MisterDom

Dec 11, 2022
USA
Looking for an internet cafe or a place to rent a laptop in las terrenas. I'm traveling there soon and I was hoping to not have to lug my laptop with me on my travels. Does Las Terrenas have anything like that?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I don’t think internet cafes really exist anymore. That was fun. Paying to use a desktop for an hour. I think you are going to have to bring that laptop. Or buy a cheaper smaller one. Or what about a tablet. Or just write on your phone.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
OP, spoil yourself and buy a laptop that is very light and doesn't need any lugging. Mine fits in my handbag and weighs about the same as a lipstick. I suspect with a name like MisterDom you probably don't own a handbag nor lipstick (then again you never know), but you get the idea.

Now you've made me think about it, there aren't any internet cafes anywhere any more are there? There was one on every corner when I first came here and now I can't think of where there is one. I was in LT a couple of weeks ago and can't remember seeing one.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
We have them in Boca Chica, but they tend to be a bit more than just internet cafes. You can print and buy office supplies as well. I use them on the rare occasion I need to print something.
Boca Chica sounds like it’s 20 years behind.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Maybe that is what Boca Chica is about. You get to go back in time. Internet cafés with big desktops. Fat “working girls”. Drinking beer Presidente in plastic cups from large bottles on the beach. Sitting in plastic chairs.

MisterDom

Dec 11, 2022
USA
OP, spoil yourself and buy a laptop that is very light and doesn't need any lugging. Mine fits in my handbag and weighs about the same as a lipstick. I suspect with a name like MisterDom you probably don't own a handbag nor lipstick (then again you never know), but you get the idea.

Now you've made me think about it, there aren't any internet cafes anywhere any more are there? There was one on every corner when I first came here and now I can't think of where there is one. I was in LT a couple of weeks ago and can't remember seeing one.
Yeah, definitely considering a netbook or something similar. They're not too terribly expensive

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Maybe that is what Boca Chica is about. You get to go back in time. Internet cafés with big desktops. Fat “working girls”. Drinking beer Presidente in plastic cups from large bottles on the beach. Sitting in plastic chairs.

100,000 people coming up to you trying to sell you things, like every few seconds. Badly cooked food at overinflated prices. And something in the sea which seems to give you a rash. Other than that it's wonderful there.

• Haha
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Thanks everyone! I'll plan for not having access to an internet Cafe. I may just buy a cheap netbook

Also bear in mind that internet in AirBnBs and hotels is usually not the best, I wouldn't plan on doing anything like video conferencing there, or if that's a must then make sure the place you're staying knows that you must must must have decent internet. Maybe worth getting a local SIM card as well, that way you can hook up your netbook to your cellphone if the internet isn't good.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
100,000 people coming up to you trying to sell you things, like every few seconds. Badly cooked food at overinflated prices. And something in the sea which seems to give you a rash. Other than that it's wonderful there.
Boca Chica is right at a city of 3-4 million people with lots of poverty.

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
Internet cafes were fun. Always full of chapiadoras on video calls with their Western Union novios 😁

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Internet cafes were fun. Always full of chapiadoras on video calls with their Western Union novios 😁
You found a good pickup place there ah. But it’s true. It’s WhatsApp now. And IG seems to be the platform.

Reactions: MariaRubia and FF1

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
In Las Terrenas I did hear of a type coworking place that opened. Not sure if it is still in business. Would only work I think if they could provide fast internet.

Britboy

Oct 30, 2021
Samana
In Las Terrenas there is an internet cafe. Go down by the cemetery by the beach there is a motoconcho stand the cafe is 30 meters up on the same side. There is a minimarket on the opposite side ask them to show you they speak English..ask for Manuel

• Wow
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme