What is the deal with WALKING ! In Santo Domingo streets Alone

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
I frequently walk distances of 5-10 kilometers within the city (1-2 miles more or less) round trip, as in 2-3 times a week. I like to have cardio days where I do a good 1 hr walk each direction for a total of 2 hours a day. I have never had *any* problems at all that aren't traffic related. I walk with purpose and like I know exactly where I am going, which I do 90% of the time because I plan out my route before leaving the house. I am careful about taking my phone out when I am near the street because it's easy for someone on a moto to snatch it while driving by.

That said, I have, but make it a point to not, walk in barrios for extended periods of time, I do not walk on any sort of routine that people could follow or become aware of/accustomed to, and I am always dressed without any jewelry and never wear fancy clothes. I do have a phone and headphones that I use in public, and though I must admit it does raise the risk of problems I feel like it's worth it.

I highly recommend NEVER walking around at night, especially in areas you aren't familiar with. I personally only ever walk on large avenues where there is constant foot and vehicular traffic and some public parks. I do not do much walking on small or side streets, and when I do it is in nice neighborhoods -although it only takes a second for someone to ride up on a moto, and you are not safe in these neighborhoods where 9 times out of ten NO ONE is in the street, just you the mugger and their firearm.

A few of my most unsafe moments walking have been almost being hit by a motor (my fault) when not looking and moving from right to left. They get so close to you and basically expect you to remain straight. If you move to one direction or the other on one of those really tight narrow back-alley streets you risk a collision. Some time ago a lady friend of mine and I were accosted by a crazy lady in the street who threw a broken beer bottle at my lady friend's back/neck. It hit her hair/jacket and bounced off.

Cardio is very important. It reduces appetite, burns calories and unless you are covering your skin heavily assists with vitamin D production via the sun. It has been linked with overall well-being, in addition to mental well-being. Being out in the sun is a very powerful mood booster.

I would AVOID AT ALL COSTS walking around in Santo Domingo Este, or near Parque Enriquillo. ANYWHERE north of JFK, West of the Luperon, Anywhere north of 27 de Febrero east of the Maximo Gomez, anywhere north of Avenida Mexico Near Zona Colonial. Also no real reason to be walking around south of Mirador Sur/La Independencia from the Luperon to the Maximo Gomez. Exceptions include the areas DIRECTLY surrounding Agora, Galeria 360, IKEA. I am mostly comfortable walking around in Los Jardines/Jardines Del Norte - the area directly south of Jardín Botanico.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I frequently walk distances of 5-10 kilometers within the city (1-2 miles more or less) round trip, as in 2-3 times a week. I like to have cardio days where I do a good 1 hr walk each direction for a total of 2 hours a day. I have never had *any* problems at all that aren't traffic related. I walk with purpose and like I know exactly where I am going, which I do 90% of the time because I plan out my route before leaving the house. I am careful about taking my phone out when I am near the street because it's easy for someone on a moto to snatch it while driving by.

That said, I have, but make it a point to not, walk in barrios for extended periods of time, I do not walk on any sort of routine that people could follow or become aware of/accustomed to, and I am always dressed without any jewelry and never wear fancy clothes. I do have a phone and headphones that I use in public, and though I must admit it does raise the risk of problems I feel like it's worth it.

I highly recommend NEVER walking around at night, especially in areas you aren't familiar with. I personally only ever walk on large avenues where there is constant foot and vehicular traffic and some public parks. I do not do much walking on small or side streets, and when I do it is in nice neighborhoods -although it only takes a second for someone to ride up on a moto, and you are not safe in these neighborhoods where 9 times out of ten NO ONE is in the street, just you the mugger and their firearm.

A few of my most unsafe moments walking have been almost being hit by a motor (my fault) when not looking and moving from right to left. They get so close to you and basically expect you to remain straight. If you move to one direction or the other on one of those really tight narrow back-alley streets you risk a collision. Some time ago a lady friend of mine and I were accosted by a crazy lady in the street who threw a broken beer bottle at my lady friend's back/neck. It hit her hair/jacket and bounced off.

Cardio is very important. It reduces appetite, burns calories and unless you are covering your skin heavily assists with vitamin D production via the sun. It has been linked with overall well-being, in addition to mental well-being. Being out in the sun is a very powerful mood booster.

I would AVOID AT ALL COSTS walking around in Santo Domingo Este, or near Parque Enriquillo. ANYWHERE north of JFK, West of the Luperon, Anywhere north of 27 de Febrero east of the Maximo Gomez, anywhere north of Avenida Mexico Near Zona Colonial. Also no real reason to be walking around south of Mirador Sur/La Independencia from the Luperon to the Maximo Gomez. Exceptions include the areas DIRECTLY surrounding Agora, Galeria 360, IKEA. I am mostly comfortable walking around in Los Jardines/Jardines Del Norte - the area directly south of Jardín Botanico.

Best reply EVER !

Dec 24, 2022
Santo Domingo
I just got here but I made the mistake of walking a few times (very short distances) and every time I did it people looked at me like I was crazy. For what it's worth though, I think they're right.

1) My dad just recently showed me a video of this motorcycle going like 35 mph, sees I think it was a women opening a gate to let a car go through? and circles back to then shoot them to steal their vehicle. The only reason they were saved is because the man was still in the car, had the door protecting him a bit and he had a gun as well. And they weren't even doing the type of walking you're describing.. heck, I wouldn't even call what they did even 'walking'

2) Had 3 separate interactions with 3 different folks, all on the same day, and something I've realized on that day was.. a lot of people here on the island have a very hard time... expressing themselves. I mean I could have swore they were angry or trying to start an argument... but it's just the way they spoke. If someone can't even express themselves properly.... Idek..

3) I was taking an Uber from somewhere in a very safe area to another safe area, and as soon as the guy finds out I'm American via my accent, he literally completely changes tone, and the vibe felt SO scary, almost like he was extremely envious or even considered me his prey.

So I know these are not direct reasons for why you wouldn't want to walk in SD, but it kind of shows you the kind of environment you're playing games with. I just don't think it's worth it to put yourself in unnecessary situations(But I'm still buying my super car mind you..).

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
I wouldn't say walking around is "crazy" but as with anything you should be alert/aware of potential risks.

1. Sounds more like Brazil or Venezuela than here. I'd say an event like that is exceedingly rare here, especially in el Distrito Nacional.

2. I agree that emotional intelligence and ability to express oneself properly is lacking here in some individuals. Others are very warm and generous. I find that the average IQ & EQ here is, well....

3. I'm not a Dominican raised in America so I can't comment. I've had some uber drivers that are jerks, or curt/short. I've had some really great conversations and met some awesome people as well. I try to always give people the benefit of the doubt as you never know what sort of day/month/year someone is having. You may also be oblivious to something you did to antagonize the driver/ruffle their feathers. Did you slam the door? Were you waiting on the driver or did they have to wait on you to get in? Are you smelly from working out or excess cologne/perfume? Did you greet them cordially upon entering? In general my uber rides are uneventful. I almost always tip and usually use it as an opportunity to have the driver break a large bill for me.

I've had very few problems interacting with random people here in the city. One should however always be aware and alert and avoid bad situations/complicated individuals.

Reactions: 945463531

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I wouldn't say walking around is "crazy" but as with anything you should be alert/aware of potential risks.

1. Sounds more like Brazil or Venezuela than here. I'd say an event like that is exceedingly rare here, especially in el Distrito Nacional.

2. I agree that emotional intelligence and ability to express oneself properly is lacking here in some individuals. Others are very warm and generous. I find that the average IQ & EQ here is, well....

3. I'm not a Dominican raised in America so I can't comment. I've had some uber drivers that are jerks, or curt/short. I've had some really great conversations and met some awesome people as well. I try to always give people the benefit of the doubt as you never know what sort of day/month/year someone is having. You may also be oblivious to something you did to antagonize the driver/ruffle their feathers. Did you slam the door? Were you waiting on the driver or did they have to wait on you to get in? Are you smelly from working out or excess cologne/perfume? Did you greet them cordially upon entering? In general my uber rides are uneventful. I almost always tip and usually use it as an opportunity to have the driver break a large bill for me.

I've had very few problems interacting with random people here in the city. One should however always be aware and alert and avoid bad situations/complicated individuals.
I'm old school I don't talk with people I don't know unless I am introduced to them from another friend ,you can call me un sociable but my friends would disagree

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
But I'm still buying my super car mind you...

Just don't drive fast. I have seen quite a few accidents here caused by supercars speeding. In virtually all of them the drivers didn't survive.

In a country where hardly anyone respects your "right of way", driving fast means you have a death wish.

Reactions: 945463531

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Thanks for the input …

I have a question for you BIG , you said you walk from the embajador to the museum ; WHAT time was this ? was it morning or day time ? And also would you dare to do the same exact walk at nighttime say after 8:00pm ?

Thanks
Daytime of course

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
What’s the deal with my doorman , barber , security guards in the streets , street food vendors , and my Dominican “girlfriends” asking me WHY ARE YOU WALKING in the Santo Domingo streets ?

Every other day when I get out my house and decide to take a WALK in the streets either all the way to me barber shop , or the MALL or the supermarket or bodega or restaurant I have everyone who I interact asking me the the same question on a way that SEEMS as if am committing suicide or at least something incredibly stupid…..

Any suggestions why they keeps asking me “PERO NO SEÑOR NO HAGA ESO ! , NO CAMINE EN LA CALLE” **** “ HAY SEÑOR USTED NO SABE DONDE ESTÁ ? Esta en SANTO DOMINGO” ****** “ MI AMOR TU ERES AMERICANO 🇺🇸 TU NO PUEDE CAMINAR “ ***** “ USTED SE ESTÁ BUSCANDO UN PROBLEMA “ ******* “ TU ERE UN HOMBRE BLANCO”

It’s really getting annoying , can y’all tell me if they are just PARANOID or is it that Americans are a TARGET ? or is it that am wearing AIR JORDAN sneakers jajajaja 🤣…. It’s getting ridiculous

may I ask y’all opinion about why this situation it’s happening ? Is it because they know am “AMERICANO” ? Or what

Thanks
From the point of view of personal security which, to me, is the tantamount concern (I mean if you are injured or killed that kind of renders moots your choice to select the D.R. as a place to live: For one year I lived on Benito Gonzalez in San Carlos, Sto. Dom. If you want to see a Dominican's jaw drop, tell him you live there, a place notorioius for drugs and crime which also includes the Haitian Market and even a T community! That being said, the general rule is that walking during the day is safe as long as you are dressed down, know your way about (must appear to even if you don't), speak enough Spanish and Kreyòl to fend off anyone with some sharp words who might want to "get over" on you. Exceptions to "walking is safe during the day" includes sectores (barrios) notorious for crime and walking on Sundays and holidays when the streets are "solitaria." After sunset, the situation flips: mandatory to take an Uber or taxi to your door, from the point of view of maximizing your safety.

Reactions: CristoRey

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
From the point of view of personal security which, to me, is the tantamount concern (I mean if you are injured or killed that kind of renders moots your choice to select the D.R. as a place to live: For one year I lived on Benito Gonzalez in San Carlos, Sto. Dom. If you want to see a Dominican's jaw drop, tell him you live there, a place notorioius for drugs and crime which also includes the Haitian Market and even a T community! That being said, the general rule is that walking during the day is safe as long as you are dressed down, know your way about (must appear to even if you don't), speak enough Spanish and Kreyòl to fend off anyone with some sharp words who might want to "get over" on you. Exceptions to "walking is safe during the day" includes sectores (barrios) notorious for crime and walking on Sundays and holidays when the streets are "solitaria." After sunset, the situation flips: mandatory to take an Uber or taxi to your door, from the point of view of maximizing your safety.
What is a T community?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife's cousin lived on Calle Ravelo ( San Carlos) just a five-minute walk from Plaza Lama, and yes, no problems during the day, but at night not a chance I would walk that area.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I thought that but it wasn't obvious, at least to me. :sick:
After seeing LGBTHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ reduced to just one letter, yeah… I can see how that leads to confusion. lol

Lucas is more sensible than the people that every now and then add a new letter. Apparently, the only acronym that grow with time.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
When walking in SD/ SDE during the day I suggest you dress and don't stray off along the side streets. At night if I were a tourist I wouldn't walk anywhere outside of Zona Colonial. Do yourself a favor and take a taxi or uber because, if given the opportunity, both the police (shake downs) and the criminals will rob you.

Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
To be clear, when I say "I would avoid at all costs..." I am specifically referring to Rey, or newcomers to the country. They don't have acquaintances or friends or interests or any reason really to be outside of DN. It can be quite safe to walk in these areas where I stated one should not walk but there are unsafe streets, pockets, neighborhoods and individuals who roam around looking to rob. I would say 8/10, maybe more of the women I've spoken to in this country say they have been robbed at one time or another. It isn't like if you walk outside of DN you will automatically explode, it's just the risk vs reward isn't worth it.