Daylight robbery goes very wrong for the thieves

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Asalto-Joyeria-Baticueva-Diario-Libre-e1675684851749.png

A Saturday, 4 February 2023 armed robbery at a jewelery store in East Santo Domingo went horribly wrong for at lest two of the alleged thieves. This happened after the getaway vehicle crashed and the thieves tried to make their escape on foot. A video on the Diario Libre website shows the lifeless body of one of the men on a sidewalk on Las Americas Avenue in East Santo Domingo after an exchange of gunfire with the police. Another of the alleged thieves was also wounded and later died of his wounds. Two other members of the assault team are now being pursued by the police.

According to the store owner, the robbers took over 7000 grams of gold. The jewelry store with the interesting name of Baticueva, or Batcave, enjoys over 46000 followers on Instagram.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
What clever store owners to mention that a large quantity of gold was stolen (worth US$ 420,000 or RD$ 23M by the way). That will definitely discourage other people from trying to steal from them.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
What clever store owners to mention that a large quantity of gold was stolen (worth US$ 420,000 or RD$ 23M by the way). That will definitely discourage other people from trying to steal from them.
Well it was a jewelry store..you would think it had that in stock at least…

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Another number pulled from the air. When they catch the guy with the gold, he'll probably only have a few grams leading to claims starting that some agency (ahem) stole the rest.

Reactions: irishpaddy
Jan 9, 2004
Another number pulled from the air. When they catch the guy with the gold, he'll probably only have a few grams, at which time the claims will start that some agency (ahem) stole the rest.
I do not know the size of the store, but what is not known is the purity of that gold. If it in in product, i.e., chains, necklaces and the like it is more likely to be 10/14/18 carat, as opposed to 24k pure gold.

In that case, the value of just the gold (7000 grams) content falls significantly.

Still, if accurate, it is quite the haul............by DR standards.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Big

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Does anyone remember that mad guy (German I think) who had the villa in Sosua and was creating an army with military grade weapons. And the police raided him and found about 5 million dollars in a safe, from memory, and then every time they gave a subsequent press conference the amount fell - strangely, "what a surprise" - and eventually it was evidently buttons that they found. I imagine it will be the same with this gold, there were 7000 grams, sorry 7000 milligrams, ahem 700 milligrams, practically nothing. And Mrs Policewoman does have a beautiful set of new earrings doesn't she.

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
I read on Somos Pueblo the first report was that one guy was killed by DICRIM and the other one when realized he was surrounded "se suicido". Suuuuuuuurrreee 😂

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Does anyone remember that mad guy (German I think) who had the villa in Sosua and was creating an army with military grade weapons. And the police raided him and found about 5 million dollars in a safe, from memory, and then every time they gave a subsequent press conference the amount fell - strangely, "what a surprise" - and eventually it was evidently buttons that they found. I imagine it will be the same with this gold, there were 7000 grams, sorry 7000 milligrams, ahem 700 milligrams, practically nothing. And Mrs Policewoman does have a beautiful set of new earrings doesn't she.
I remember this well as I lived in La Mulata then. That is where he lived. The money part is total BS,,,,

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Remind me what this is about, Luis gave the green light for what?
To rid the streets of criminals.
Have you not been following the news?
Since November their body count is up..
way up. So much so that dozens of wanted criminals have turned themselves in the last 3 months out of fear of being executed by the PN in the street. They've also shot dead several high profile criminals inside of jail cells. They mean business and they have the backing of the current administration.