Changan Vehicles

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
After looking at the prices of new Hyundai’s in DR the Changan’s are certainly starting to look pretty good as far as bang for the buck. When I come back in March I will certainly be going to the Changan dealer to get a better look at them. I really like the CS85 coupe and the UNI-T seems to be very hard to find a long term review on these vehicles but from the research I have done the major components of these vehicles are from very good suppliers so hopefully they will have some longevity to them.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
They look really good, in fact some of the nicest looking SUV's from Asia, but if there are no air bags then forget about it, especially in this country.

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
They look really good, in fact some of the nicest looking SUV's from Asia, but if there are no air bags then forget about it, especially in this country.
I think the post that mentioned airbags meant that Changan vehicles do not have as many airbags as say a U.S. certified vehicle. At the very least Changan vehicles have driver and passenger airbags, with the higher end models coming with a full array of airbags.

Reactions: tee
Jan 9, 2004
I think the post that mentioned airbags meant that Changan vehicles do not have as many airbags as say a U.S. certified vehicle. At the very least Changan vehicles have driver and passenger airbags, with the higher end models coming with a full array of airbags.
US vehicles are currently only required to have driver and passenger airbags.

That being said, to stay competitive, manufacturers have voluntarily added side curtain airbags, rear airbags, and the like.

I am not sure if they are compulsory in the DR. Years ago those imported yellow Hyundai passenger vans used as taxis were nothing but a stripped chassis with wheels. No airbags, no rugs, spartan interiors etc......but they met a price point that worked for the government who subsidized their purchase.

Even today, few consumers rarely bother to inquire about safety features when purchasing a vehicle.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I think ii's a gamble. After 2-3 years you might find out if it was worth it or not. Also to consider is the re-sale value after a few years.
If this cars turn out to be good, re-sale value will be high. If this cars get a bad reputation, you might have to give them away almost for free.

Jan 9, 2004
I think ii's a gamble. After 2-3 years you might find out if it was worth it or not. Also to consider is the re-sale value after a few years.
If this cars turn out to be good, re-sale value will be high. If this cars get a bad reputation, you might have to give them away almost for free.
Ahh yes.........remember the Yugo?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
I was just discussing the resale issue with my wife. I certainly don’t want to be stuck with something that is only going to be worth pennies on the dollar in a short time. I have searched extensively for a long term report on Changan and have come up empty. On paper the Changan certainly has some notable attributes as far as (mazda)motor, (Aisin) transmission and I would assume some various Ford parts. But in the end as you say time will tell how Changan holds up in the DR.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
One of the best things ever to come out of the old Czech Republic
IMO it kicked the Lada's ass (which is not saying much ;))
Rode in one Yugo in Costa Rica. It was fairly new then and was a taxi in the countryside.
I rode in the front seat. As I closed the door the handle came off in my hand, oops.
As we came to a hill (not to steep as I recall), the car bucked and sputtered.
I got out 1/2 mile from my destination because the driver felt he could not continue going up.
You won't see Yugos being restored on Bitchin' Rides.