Longer Days

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
yes, the length of daylight will gradually lengthen in the Northern Hemisphere as the sun traverses to its most northerly declination of 23.5 degrees at the Summer Solstice, which this year will occur sometime on June 21st; if you want to calculate sunrise/sunset without just looking at the days WX forecast, you could buy a Nautical Almanac and calculate your exact time of sunrise/set for your geographical position (Lat/Long), as I remember the formula was not that difficult

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You have to excuse the OP. It has been a long time since he was in school. LOL..............

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
When I lived in the US, we had a vacation house in Rangeley, Maine. I'm Jewish and so we light candles on Friday nights, 18 minutes before sundown. And I shall never forget lighting candles at 3.30 in the afternoon.

We spin around the sun & so it goes.

I LOATHE the US thing of daylight saving time. Mercifully, it ends March 12.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
When I lived in the US, we had a vacation house in Rangeley, Maine. I'm Jewish and so we light candles on Friday nights, 18 minutes before sundown. And I shall never forget lighting candles at 3.30 in the afternoon.

We spin around the sun & so it goes.

I LOATHE the US thing of daylight saving time. Mercifully, it ends March 12.

Let's hope it won't be around next year.

Reactions: MikeFisher

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
At this time of year - now - NYC gets 1 hour more daylight than the DR

Sunset at ~8pm vs our 7pm.... touch earlier sunrise too

Remember, if you live on the equator, it never changes - 12hr days.......DR is 13 now

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
According to my weather forecast app, the sun rises at 7:09am these days ---- earlier than the 7:16am reported 10 days or so ago

I don't follow the sunsets but we can assume they too are lengthening our days as we head to June 21st

Might be interesting to start a chart or record to track things
And one of the reasons it's hotter. Longer days because we're tilted more towards the sun

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
And one of the reasons it's hotter. Longer days because we're tilted more towards the sun
Lol. The angle of the earth is constant. In the summer we are further from the sun in the orbit, but since we have more sun face time in these months it is warmer. In the colder months we are closer to the sun in the orbit, but have much less face time. If the Earth's "tilt" changed, we would be blown out of orbit and hurled into the sun.

Adding for better clarity, in the longer end of the ellipse we are tilted toward the sun. In the shorter end we are tilted away. The tilt/angle is always constant however

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Being from Edmonton it does suck in the winter time. I have been as far north as Yellowknife in January and it never really gets light. Very depressing if you live there. On the other side it never really gets dark in the summer. It's rarely hot and the insects will drive you to drink.
Went to visit a friend who lived on the border of Idaho and Canada (Bonners Ferry) . I could do only one day there until the mosquitoes drove me to drive back to California.
Who can live there with mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds? And aggressive too.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Went to visit a friend who lived on the border of Idaho and Canada (Bonners Ferry) . I could do only one day there until the mosquitoes drove me to drive back to California.
Who can live there with mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds? And aggressive too.
Mosquitoes are everywhere and right now her in Jarabacoa they are overwhelming.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Mosquitoes are everywhere and right now her in Jarabacoa they are overwhelming.
Never would have guessed that. I sleep with the windows and grated doors open overlooking Sosua Bay.
Got one mosquito bite the other night.
First in months.
They just don't seem to be a bother me with the breeze here (crossing fingers).
But they are not the Idaho mosquito type of 'hawks'.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Being from Edmonton it does suck in the winter time. I have been as far north as Yellowknife in January and it never really gets light. Very depressing if you live there. On the other side it never really gets dark in the summer. It's rarely hot and the insects will drive you to drink.
Typical mid-winter sunrise around 9:00am. Sunset before 5:00pm.
Summer sunrise 4:00am and sunset about 10-10:30pm.

I don’t miss leaving for work in the dark and getting home in the dark. At all.

Reactions: JD Jones

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
length of days has to do with the declination of the sun, the sun will reach its maximum northerly declination of 23.45 degrees on June 21st (summer solstice), that will be the longest daylight period in the northern hemisphere of the year

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yup..... then the slow withdrawal/reversal........... 2weeks from now..... will be just like this for a month

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I never knew we had so many meteorologist here with us but for me when I wake up I see daylight it's a good day rain or shine