Just took this photo a few minutes ago.

What is this????

EB4B5711-D9F4-4B8A-88AB-56A6A754D1D7.jpeg

Reactions: CristoRey

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Yikes.
The ISS is supposed to be viewable in the early evening sky, in Santo Domingo, starting in Feb. and through Mar....
But that thing looks to be enormous and traveling at a great speed.
Whatever it is, it sure isn't a Chinese spy balloon.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Great photo looks like a meteor or Dominican test rocket. maybe submit to news media ?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It was visible from the NC, a week or so ago .

I guessed ISS....... mainly to not alarm my wife, as I have no idea really.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I myself thought it was one of those errant ballenas in Sosua doing a mega leap, but alas, conspiracy theorists: Science tells us it is a Space X Falcon 9 launched from FL. Of course, knowing the audience here, I am sure most of you believe it's Hilary Clinton launching the damning proof of her pizza-parlor basement child killing cabal into space. Science, feh. I myself believe it may be...an actual Space X Falcon 9 launched from Florida.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just wanted to point out that we’re on the southern coast. Whatever this was, it was headed west. Kind of negates the possibility of it coming from Florida, no?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Just wanted to point out that we’re on the southern coast. Whatever this was, it was headed west. Kind of negates the possibility of it coming from Florida, no?
In the new age of "space exploration", which is all brand new , I wouldn't negate anything until we build up our knowledge of what's going on "up there". It's fascinating. BTW the link that someone posted on ISS is fantastic! I put myself of the subscriber list and I'm eady to fly. lol.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have the answer. There was a Falcon 9 launch from St Croix yesterday, according to our niece who lives there. Mystery solved. No aliens in DR. 😊

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I'm no expert on space but...
I am a fully paid up member in good standing of the dr1 lap top cop society.

Landing of the first stage on Monday’s mission occurred just as the Falcon 9’s second stage engine cut off to deliver the Starlink satellites into a preliminary parking orbit. Another upper stage burn 54 minutes into the mission reshaped the orbit at a higher altitude ahead of payload separation.

Separation of the 21 Starlink spacecraft, built by SpaceX in Redmond, Washington, from the Falcon 9 rocket was confirmed 64 minutes after liftoff.

It may have been the rocket or it may have been one of the satellites moving into position.
Whichever it is, it seems to be a foregone conclusion that that flare in the sky is related to Uncle Elon's rocket launch.