Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure

Paxter

Apr 27, 2022
Dominican republic
Not that I know of(?). I was a couple weeks late last summer but didn't pay anything extra.
Can cedula be renewed without going all the way to santo domingo? That bus ride allmost killed me for my temp residency. 4 hrs there 4hrs at migration 4hrs back. Getting too old for all in one day. Got Temp residency thanks to cavok and all that helped me here. Dont trust hotels so ill make second trip if i must :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can cedula be renewed without going all the way to santo domingo? That bus ride allmost killed me for my temp residency. 4 hrs there 4hrs at migration 4hrs back. Getting too old for all in one day. Got Temp residency thanks to cavok and all that helped me here. Dont trust hotels so ill make second trip if i must :)
Unless something changed recently the only location for cedulas for legal residents is Santo Domingo. You can check at your local JCE office if they have the proper color plastic for such cedulas, but I doubt it. They really should make it easier for residents and allow them to get a replacement cedula at the local JCE. I suspect they don't want the corruption that could entail, hence, only in Santo Domingo.

When I was a legal resident, I always got a new cedula when I got a new residency card, all done in one day in Santo Domingo. Are you trying to renew a cedula without getting a new residency renewal? I see no reason for that, but perhaps you have a special situation I did not face when I had residency.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Is there a late fee for cedula renewal also?
Yes, there is. When I went from Temporary to "Permanent" Residency, the process took a long time, and you can't renew your cedula until you have up-to-date Residency, meaning that my cedula renewal was late. Despite it no being my fault, I was fined for the late Cedula renewal.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Things are changing and I sure hope that will be the case some day soon, but as far as I know you still have to go to SD for your cedula. Or. you could move to Punta Cana. For whatever reason, I hear residents can renew their cedulas there.

Reactions: Paxter

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Things are changing and I sure hope that will be the case some day soon, but as far as I know you still have to go to SD for your cedula. Or. you could move to Punta Cana. For whatever reason, I hear residents can renew their cedulas there.
The Cedula office is actually in Veron. Close by though..............

Reactions: Paxter

Paxter

Apr 27, 2022
Dominican republic
Looks like another trip :) gonna take a coat bus froze my but off. im coming from puerto plata. Thanks

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Looks like another trip :) gonna take a coat bus froze my but off. im coming from puerto plata. Thanks
Try and get a seat closer to the front. It's not as cold up there.

Always renew your cedula when you're renewing your residency. Take Uber. Plan your appointments to do it all in one day. i always spend the night and renew the cedula the next day. Too much travelling in one day for me and no way I want to go back there again.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Try and get a seat closer to the front. It's not as cold up there.

Always renew your cedula when you're renewing your residency. Take Uber. Plan your appointments to do it all in one day. i always spend the night and renew the cedula the next day. Too much travelling in one day for me and no way I want to go back there again.
Just to make it clear, you don't need an appointment to renew your cedula.

gicamuci

Apr 15, 2014
Anyone applied very recently for a residency renewal ?

There is no "Respaldo Migratorio" (insurance) available at any sites that I know. DGM doesn't list any other new insurance company.
Patria I know is not agreed anymore by DGM.
Seguros Reservas doesn't offer this service anymore. Nor does Dominicana de Seguros.

What insurance company did you use ?

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
What is the procedure to renew residency/cedula if it's already expired? Can it still all be done in one day?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Anyone applied very recently for a residency renewal ?

There is no "Respaldo Migratorio" (insurance) available at any sites that I know. DGM doesn't list any other new insurance company.
Patria I know is not agreed anymore by DGM.
Seguros Reservas doesn't offer this service anymore. Nor does Dominicana de Seguros.

What insurance company did you use ?
It appears that this is the new insurance company. This is now at least the 4th company they've used. They seem to change companies evry year or two: