Annoying Dominican Habits

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Here's another annoying Dominican habbit I dislike.
Grown men turning kids into mother's and leaving them by themselves to deal with the pregnancy and child care afterwards. It's far more common than I think most people are aware of.
Lack of opportunities for kids to be around positive male role models is an annoying habit.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not sure if this annoying or just odd.........

A fairly new house me has everything up-side down

The door handle..... I've seen it before....
The outside lights..... which should be mounted with the glass and bulb pointed down..... point UP !!

I just don't get it............

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

The outside lights..... which should be mounted with the glass and bulb pointed down..... point UP !!

Don't get me started on that sort of thing. Folks like me with OCD can go nuts in this country.

phxbrian

Nov 8, 2012
This is the greatest topic ever, I’ve had hours of Entertainment thanks

when gettin on an elevator Dominicans get right up next to the door and rush in before people on the elevator have had a chance to get off

The service at nice restaurants is sucks, don’t they know to pick up a plate when you’re finished, bring a check with out asking ? They take your order and disappear

Dominicans cut in front of you in line and generally let you know your a foreigner and this is not your home

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Water faucets turning backwards for on and off. This one got me into a big mess soon after hurricane George. In the morning I had electricity and water. Soon after starting a wash in the kitchen sink the power and water went off. I knew it would be off for several hours so went to the mall where they had power and AC. I returned home about 5 hours later, and my apartment was totally flooded. I thought I turned the faucet off. I had turned it on all the way. DIABLO!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Maybe this was listed and I missed it but, eating inside the supermarket. They have so little self control that they can't even wait until they pay for it and leave the store before stuffing their faces with chips, cookies, or whatever other snack catches their eye. Most of the supermarkets do have signs saying "do not eat food inside store".

• Haha
Reactions: nanita

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Maybe this was listed and I missed it but, eating inside the supermarket. They have so little self control that they can't even wait until they pay for it and leave the store before stuffing their faces with chips, cookies, or whatever other snack catches their eye. Most of the supermarkets do have signs saying "do not eat food inside store".
And leave the wrappers on the shelves without paying.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Talking WHILE the movie is being shown.

Talking in cell phones while in church (yes, I do go to church sometimes, if invited for weddings, baptisms, etc...).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
And leaving refrigerated items on random shelves throughout the store instead of returning it to where they got it
I don't do that with refrigerated items, but I'm really tired of having to go look for a scanner because so many things don't have the price on them. If it's overpriced, I'll leave it right there at the scanner. Let the help put it back - or put prices on everything. Or more scanners.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The worse Dominican habits ever are... Same un minuto en tu celular, or when people beeping you so that you return the call.

JJ

Reactions: Lucifer

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is the greatest topic ever, I’ve had hours of Entertainment thanks

when gettin on an elevator Dominicans get right up next to the door and rush in before people on the elevator have had a chance to get off

The service at nice restaurants is sucks, don’t they know to pick up a plate when you’re finished, bring a check with out asking ? They take your order and disappear

Dominicans cut in front of you in line and generally let you know your a foreigner and this is not your home
LOL. We went to wedding last night at Pino Dorado in Jarabacoa. Service was top notch, food was excellent, and the music was incredible. Not that I noticed but there were a lot of very curvy women there as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
The worse Dominican habits ever are... Same un minuto en tu celular, or when people beeping you so that you return the call.

JJ
Exactly!

<<Oye, manito, ¿tú tienes minutos? Tengo que hacer una llamada, pero se me acabó el paquetico. Ayúdame ahí>>.

• Love
Reactions: bachata

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
VERY VERY VERY VERY....VERY Sensitive. Have no problem telling you about yourself but as soon as you tell them about themselves. It's like you threw a grenade...complete meltdown, offended, hurt, victim and much more.
Absolutely!
Many Dominicans are quick to criticize you:

<<Oye, Joseito, tú si 'tá flaco. ¿Ké lo ké contigo?>>
"Well, I watch what I eat and exercise, too."

"Hey, José, how come you don't have and iPhone 14?"
"Well, when I called you last week, could you tell I used an old rotary dial phone?"

• Haha
Reactions: SNH

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
VERY VERY VERY VERY....VERY Sensitive. Have no problem telling you about yourself but as soon as you tell them about themselves. It's like you threw a grenade...complete meltdown, offended, hurt, victim and much more.
I am convinced that this is a result of general low IQ. Nothing against Dominicans as this is something that all sorts of people do - but people in general who do this genuinely and not as a part of a more elaborate ploy are very out of touch with reality and are even a bit solipsistic. "Entitled" but in a fundamental philosophical way. The way some dominicans will tell you they are "offended" or behave as such when you present them with genuine, respectful criticism or grievances is absolutely irresponsible and juvenile. In general you need to be careful of people like that as they are untrustworthy on a social level. They are basically telling you that they cannot fathom being wrong and that they refuse to undergo the process of self-review. It is a self-limiting and dangerous perspective/ way of thinking.