North Coast Temperatures

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Been a a bit chilly here lately. Morning temps in the 60's a few times.
Daytime staying around 80F

The other day I saw the wind change , coming from the north.
Usually, that means a storm.
Nope, no storm but the coolest morning yet - and the daytime hi didn't get to 80

There doesn't seem to be a change coming for bit --- cool weather in store for us

Quite comfy, I'm not complaining but I can't remember times like this for years

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Likewise I can not remember a year or 6 months quite like this. In the East of the DR ,the strong winds have been a constant feature since November normally coming from the East or South East. Nasty winds full of grit and after sunset quite cold. The wind reminds me of The Mistral , the horrid wind that blows across the South west of France and sends people mad. Campanese will know of The Mistral . Everything now is bone dry in the East but this condition is reasonably common in March and April. My Dominican friends are rugging up in the early morning as if it is about to snow.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
South coast is the same. Yesterday was 60s in morning but hit 91 by afternoon. I am cold this morning, but we get a breeze off the Caribbean. This year it’s definitely cooler overall. I like it

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, windy I forgot to add.... makes it all the cooler

Peter J
Canada switched to Celsius when I was too old to change..... I grew in Canada with F and continue to use it
I'm not so good with metric either

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes, windy I forgot to add.... makes it all the cooler

Peter J
Canada switched to Celsius when I was too old to change..... I grew in Canada with F and continue to use it
I'm not so good with metric either
Use what you want - Every mother and her brother can covert on a phone.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
South coast is the same. Yesterday was 60s in morning but hit 91 by afternoon. I am cold this morning, but we get a breeze off the Caribbean. This year it’s definitely cooler overall. I like it
Global Warming has ended.................I'll drink to that

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
easy to convert Peterj. I have been doing it in my head for years. I grew up in Fahrenheit until about age 15, then Canada switched. My parents were constantly asking, but what is that in Fahrenheit.
Totally agree. I'm an American who has never switched officially, but I enjoy doing the arithmetical conversions in my alleged brain.

Reactions: cavok

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
easy to convert Peterj. I have been doing it in my head for years. I grew up in Fahrenheit until about age 15, then Canada switched. My parents were constantly asking, but what is that in Fahrenheit.
What is the formula?

lol.
The formula is as follows:

The conversion formulas we use are the standard ones that are used in most textbooks. To convert temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit to Celsius, subtract 32 and multiply by .5556 (or 5/9). To convert temperatures in degrees Celsius to Fahrenheit, multiply by 1.8 (or 9/5) and add 32.

As you can see a person can choose to use either the fraction or the decimal to complete the conversion...o_O

For me it was never really much about the conversion. It was just a matter of getting used to the new values and taking them for what they were.
Kilometers/miles happened pretty fast as all the road signs were changed.
Celsius/fahrenheit came a little slower. Gradually a person came to understand that 30c was hot and minus10c was pretty cold.
If for some reason I needed to be more precise...then I would look for a conversion.
Don't ask me though how much I weigh in kgs or how tall I am in cms. I wouldn't have a clue.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Going from C to F is fairly easy to do in your head. Suppose it's 30C. Double the temp in C = 60. Subtract 10% of that: 60 minus 6 =54. Add 32.
54 +32 = 86F.

Going from F to C is a little harder. You can do a reverse iteration if you're good at the above, or just use Google. Google knows all.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
multiply the temperature in degrees Celsius by 2, and then add 30 = Fahrenheit
If you want to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, do the opposite: subtract 30 from the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, and then divide by 2 to get the temperature in degrees Celsius. These will be estimates, not exact but close enough.

Reactions: melphis

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
multiply the temperature in degrees Celsius by 2, and then add 30 = Fahrenheit
If you want to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, do the opposite: subtract 30 from the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, and then divide by 2 to get the temperature in degrees Celsius. These will be estimates, not exact but close enough.
Well, I guess it depends on what you consider close enough. Take 35C for example. Using your formula you get 100F. It's actually 95F.