Happy St. Patrick's Day

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
For those who like to sing there is a wonderful hymn called St Patrick s Breastplate . If you are going to google it ,it starts I bind unto myself today.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wherever you go, whatever you do, may the luck of the Irish be there with you!” May you be half an hour in heaven before the devil knows your dead. My English grandmother who married an Irish man, my Grandfather, always said Irish luck was just dumb luck.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Wherever you go, whatever you do, may the luck of the Irish be there with you!” May you be half an hour in heaven before the devil knows your dead. My English grandmother who married an Irish man, my Grandfather, always said Irish luck was just dumb luck.
Was that an Irish insult ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Saint Patrick himself would have to deal with pinching on his feast day. Though we've come to associate kelly green with the Irish and the holiday, the 5th-century saint’s official color was “Saint Patrick’s blue,” a light shade of sky blue. The color green only became associated with the big day after it was linked to the Irish independence movement in the late 18th century.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

This Friday it's party time again during St.Patrick's Day. Owner Marco will perform on this evening together with the Island Breeze Band.​

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Oh, I love that song! lol

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
I remember this day years ago in South Boston (aka 'Southie'), the police would turn a blind eye to the bars and taverns opening as early as 6am, the public urination and vomiting would be in full swing by 10am

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My grandmother is from County Clare so we grew up eating many of her Irish specialties. I know we have some bread makers here, has anyone tried to make soda bread?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My mom made soda bread all the time. Her mother is from Sheffield England, and they eat it there as well, Her Dad was born in North Dakota, but both is parents were from Northern Ireland (Londonderry, Donegal. , Boyds, McGinnis and Graves. I have been do my family tree at Ancestry.com and all my family is English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Dutch and Danish and a little native Canadian Indian. My sons have a lot of Italian and German in them.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Isn't it odd?
All those fish in the sea and the country was starving...... no fishing.... unbelievable but true
my relatives didn't leave because of the famine. They took the opportunity to get homestead land in Canada. My Welsh ancestors founded Carnighan New Brunswick, and I am still related to most of the town. 250 acres for a married man, 100 acres for a single man.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
My mom made soda bread all the time. Her mother is from Sheffield England, and they eat it there as well, Her Dad was born in North Dakota, but both is parents were from Northern Ireland (Londonderry, Donegal. , Boyds, McGinnis and Graves. I have been do my family tree at Ancestry.com and all my family is English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Dutch and Danish and a little native Canadian Indian. My sons have a lot of Italian and German in them.
Bob it is called ....Derry .....only the orangemen call it Londonderry