Sosúa Beach Renovations

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
There are thousands of snowbirds right here on the north coast that stay in their vacation condos here. Thousands of rentals, too. There's a lot of people that don't want to stay at a resort.
A few thousand. How many go to resorts? The masses are going to resorts. What were there, 8.5 million tourists last year...what percentage stay off resort from that number? Maybe I am wrong?

I am one that hates resorts. All my friends think I am nuts staying off resort. I am a real minority.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I never said they were thinking of turning the beach into an AI, I said they would be smart to, as that is what the DR does well when it comes to tourism. Very few people I know would consider the DR for a off resort vacation.
I think this is starting to change, especially (for better or worse) with all of the local YouTube vloggers promoting other parts of the country worth visiting.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I think this is starting to change, especially (for better or worse) with all of the local YouTube vloggers promoting other parts of the country worth visiting.
I work with hundreds of people. Many of these people take vacations every year. Many, many vacation in the DR. I have yet to talk to any of them that think it is safe enough to leave the resort other than on a tour. I am only passing on what I see and hear.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I work with hundreds of people. Many of these people take vacations every year. Many, many vacation in the DR. I have yet to talk to any of them that think it is safe enough to leave the resort other than on a tour. I am only passing on what I see and hear.
North coast tons of snowbirds and part timers …it’s all where your talking about example ,Punta Cana Belly up to the trough and flip me on the beach while I Drink crowd ..Sosua for example in government vision was retirement living and snowbirds not AI .

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
As far as an AI resort being built? Obvisoiusly I have no more information about their plans than the rest of you but if I had to guess...
I think they will probably end up building medium sized hotel surrounded by upscale condominiums.
I agree that none of us has certain information, except for one poster who seems to think he has. Your idea sounds quite likely and I guess the condos will end up in the hands of the rich of Santiago.

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I suspect the owner of the land is waiting for the govt. to pay off the squatters and bulldoze the shacks so they can start building.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If "big" money is at work why is development and change taking 15 plus years to reach fruition. I will be happy if they just fill the potholes on the road in front of Sea Horse Ranch. If this "big" money is at work, why is it possible to buy a hotel for 500.000 U.S
The Big money discussions started in earnest only after Abinader took office. The previous ladrone PLD government had little interest in the north coast, but some conversations were started even during their miserable administration. The previous administration tried mostly in vain to minimize the harmful effects of whoremongers, and that is about it.

If you don't think the cruise ports and the project at Playa Bergantin are big money, then I can't help you.

If you don't think the project by the Scientologists called Dream City that Lindsay has discussed as being in the stages of getting all the T's crossed and I's dotted is not a huge undertaking, then I cannot help you.

It remains to be seen how much Sosua beach will be changed. One plaza is only under way and the government has to dance around not causing a huge scene with the soon to be displaced vendors.

The area between Cabarete Center and Sosua has MANY small to medium size projects under way which also add up to a fair amount of money.

Take a trip from Star Hills to El Cupey and see what is going on. Condos and housing...

A little thing called Covid caused delays in some projects and accelerated others.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I never said they were thinking of turning the beach into an AI, I said they would be smart to, as that is what the DR does well when it comes to tourism. Very few people I know would consider the DR for a off resort vacation.
I fully understood your point. I just said it will never happen with respect to Sosua Beach. Such an idea is a fantasy for Sosua Beach.
Maybe they will have 1 to 3 plazas and condos behind them. Time will tell.

Perhaps the project Abinader started between Sea Horse Ranch and Perla Marina will eventually be done. That is one of the few places between Sosua and Cabarete that has the space for an AI resort since it had one before. Another place is the ruins of the resort in the Puerto Chiquita area at the west end of Sosua, but that might already be part of Dream City's plans.

The part of the north coast between Sosua and Cabarete out to Gaspar Hernandez does not have great locations available for sandy beach front AI resort where it would be safe to enter the water.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Please describe the inaccuracies you see in that post.
we clearly see most things differently., which is fine. You say you see big changes in Sosua, every time I go, I see the same town with the same people. You make it sound as if sky cranes are building the skyline as if it were Santo Domingo. Cabarete? Every single time I go the traffic is backed up do to a single coca cola truck making a delivery shutting down the entire town. The entire "beach" conversation has been going on for a decade. I have worn out 3 vehicles and 24 pairs of running shoes in that period of time.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
You ommitted one small detail and that would be the 16 year run of the do nothing PLD has come to end.
It does not take "big money" to make money or changes.
It does not even take money.

How can someone consider themselves educated and leave out the most basic part about market conditions?
(insert the Economics 101 emoji here).
For the most part since AI's are the spot...visitor travel and therefore investment away from the AI spots is less. Much less.
That explains the reason why prices (of real estate) are the way they are...market conditions.
And you don't need to be educated to figure that out.

Sosua Beach and many other areas in this country are being developed for the big pictures changes coming to this country.
I have seen path of progress real estate investment moves pay off from 30% to 300% during my time here.
The university professor was my advisor told me that "you might not always be able to do anything about the changes are coming...but you should always recognize and be aware of they are going to affect you".

In my opinion, "why" and "why so long" are questions that are irrelevant.
What is happening on the ground right now...that is relevant.

Reactions: windeguy

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It does not take "big money" to make money or changes.
It does not even take money.

How can someone consider themselves educated and leave out the most basic part about market conditions?

(insert the Economics 101 emoji here).
For the most part since AI's are the spot...visitor travel and therefore investment away from the AI spots is less. Much less.
That explains the reason why prices (of real estate) are the way they are...market conditions.
And you don't need to be educated to figure that out.

Sosua Beach and many other areas in this country are being developed for the big pictures changes coming to this country.
I have seen path of progress real estate investment moves pay off from 30% to 300% during my time here.
The university professor was my advisor told me that "you might not always be able to do anything about the changes are coming...but you should always recognize and be aware of they are going to affect you".

In my opinion, "why" and "why so long" are questions that are irrelevant.
What is happening on the ground right now...that is relevant.
You are 100% correct. It doesn't take big money to make changes. Not sure how this relates to my previous comment? What I said has to do with all of the broken promises the PLD made in the past to the folks who live in those communities on the north coast.

As far as considering one's self educated is concerned? I've no idea why ya thru that jab at me but while we're on the topic...
put ya money up bruh -

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
You are 100% correct. It doesn't take big money to make changes. Not sure how this relates to my previous comment? What I said has to do with all of the broken promises the PLD made in the past to the folks who live in those communities on the north coast.
Understood.
As far as considering one's self educated is concerned? I've no idea why ya thru that jab at me but while we're on the topic...
put ya money up bruh -
(I came across this last year when digging thru old boxes at mom's house. personal details redacted)
Not everything I write in response to a post is aimed at the poster that wrote it.
In this case the comment about education was directed at individuals who have written that they are educated but cannot understand what I write.
YA have never made a comment like that.
So, there was no reason for you to feel like it was directed at ya.
Therefore I did not throw a jab at ya and have never felt the need too.

Sent you my educational creds via PM.
Share it with those who need to know.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
we clearly see most things differently., which is fine. You say you see big changes in Sosua, every time I go, I see the same town with the same people. You make it sound as if sky cranes are building the skyline as if it were Santo Domingo. Cabarete? Every single time I go the traffic is backed up do to a single coca cola truck making a delivery shutting down the entire town. The entire "beach" conversation has been going on for a decade. I have worn out 3 vehicles and 24 pairs of running shoes in that period of time.
No I don't say I see big changes "in Sosua". I say I am seeing changes on the north coast. The north coast is not one street in Sosua.

Get off that one street and get off the main highway and there is a lot of construction.

Note that my posts did not concentrate on just Sosua Beach, but on the many projects that are related to things finally happening even on that beach that people said would never happen.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
No I don't say I see big changes "in Sosua". I say I am seeing changes on the north coast. The north coast is not one street in Sosua.

Get off that one street and get off the main highway and there is a lot of construction.

Note that my posts did not concentrate on just Sosua Beach, but on the many projects that are related to things finally happening even on that beach that people said would never happen.
I don't live on the North Coast, never have never will. I enjoy visiting the area you describe as a massive megalopolis.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Dream City seems to be more dream than city.
And I would agree with the exception that someone I personally know and who is very reliable has spoken to people working on that revived project post Covid restrictions and posted about that very issue here on DR1. This was already previously mentioned. Anything else?

Even the beach renovation may not end up with more than on plaza while the government said 2 or 3, so only time will tell

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Sosua beach is the most degrading place in DR could you imagine a normal family walking through the venders to get to the beach and when they get back to their homeland what they have to say about Sosua.... SOSUA BEACH (n)👎 :poop::poop::poop:

Reactions: Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't live on the North Coast, never have never will. I enjoy visiting the area you describe as a massive megalopolis.
I have never said that.

The North Coast is nothing of the kind and it is very unlikely it ever will be even a micro megalopolis. Since you don't live here and
likely only see a few locations when you visit, you clearly don't understand the points I am making.