Former President Medina has prostate cancer

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It has been reported widely that the former president has been dealing with prostate cancer for some months and that his medical advisors in the DR have advised him to have advanced treatment in the USA. I would like to make several remarks . The first obvious one is to wish the former president success in his treatment and the second point is that this again a wake up call to all men over the age of 50 to have regular checks for this particular type of cancer. A blood test can be made easily or a one minute physical test but early diagnosis may save your life.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
C68C2105-6D6B-4E6A-A777-31C9C9891B34.jpeg

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I guess it's a big deal because it's a former president, but it's one of the most common cancers. I'm guessing he doesn't want to go the surgical route.
I had it as well but had it taken care of by getting a HIFU treatment. (non surgical)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I know that it is usually not a major issue. However, I had an acquaintance diagnosed with it who died within four months.

That was a shock since the perception is that it is very treatable.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes it all depends when you detect this prostate cancer. Most of these cancers develop in the glands that produce semen and start growing slowly and then gather speed . Normally a test takes less than 2 minutes . You lie on your side and the doctor places a gloved finger inside the anus and can quickly feel the size of the prostate . Then he tells you if the prostate is enlarged or not . If the doctor suspects that you have cancer he will do some screening and tell you whether he prefers a surgical procedure or chemotherapy . If the grow is small the best course is often just to do nothing . Like Yourmaninvegas ,I have lost several friends from this cancer. As far as ex President Danilo is concerned, it would seem that he caught his cancer a little late . The sad thing is that during his Presidency he was at the opening of robotic surgery to treat this cancer ,I think in Santo Domingo .

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
There is also the PSA test. Where they draw your blood.
As my doctor explained it to me...
It is best that you get the test before you have any problems.
That establishes your baseline.
Then each year there after. Along with the physical exam.
Serves as an early warning system.

And not make light of a very serious subject...
It is important to me to keep things working well down there (insert tongue-in-cheek emoji here)

I am sorry for your losses @Kipling333
I also know many people in my life that have been diagnosed with this type of cancer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My thought is that the sonogram is better than the 'feel' test..... to determine the prostate size

I do the PSA regularly and have low numbers

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I wonder if he's up to date with his Covid boosters? I guess we'll find out soon. This is not about Covid as it specifically relates to prostate cancer. Take a minute and read the article before spewing a bunch of nonsense.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
My thought is that the sonogram is better than the 'feel' test..... to determine the prostate size

I do the PSA regularly and have low numbers
That was my warning sign. My number was slightly increasing so my doctor was on top of it the whole time. I was really starting to look forward to our meetings.. lol (JK)
After a few years, my PSA started increasing by leaps and bounds. They did a biopsy, and the rest is history.
I actually went to Miami to get the HIFU procedure done. The doctor there asked me why I wasn't doing it here in the
DR, and I was surprised when he told me who and where, and mentioned it would be a lot cheaper in the DR.
I should have told the doctor in Miami I was flying up from the DR - it would have saved me a round trip.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Maybe not prostate cancer but prostate enlargement...Of course if you have prostate enlargement but are without pain , more often than not the bestthing is to do nothing . Who wants to have un necessary chemo therapy or a nasty operation with various degrees of success!

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Maybe not prostate cancer but prostate enlargement...Of course if you have prostate enlargement but are without pain , more often than not the bestthing is to do nothing . Who wants to have un necessary chemo therapy or a nasty operation with various degrees of success!
When I was at the home for ancianos in the Monti Christi batey, over half the men had cathethers and carried around piss bottles. I would hate that but they never comlained.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
When I was at the home for ancianos in the Monti Christi batey, over half the men had cathethers and carried around piss bottles. I would hate that but they never comlained.

I don't think that has any thing to do with prostate cancer. Probably from other health problems.