Dominican Republic Working on a Schengen Visa Exemption Proposal for EU

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This would be the greatest thing for the DR ever................

Jan 9, 2004
Potential good news for those seeking to safely leave by means other than through Central America and Yola to Puerto Rico.

Potential bad news for the coyotes and those involved in the human smuggling trade.

In the end however, this may take years, if at all, to come to be approved.

Note the article quoting President Abinader states the DR is one of four countries that need a Schengen visa. Perhaps there was something lost in the translation because there are almost 100 countries that currently need a Schengen tourist visa to enter.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
NEVER GONNA HAPPEN !!!!!
Europe is totally overloaded with Refugees and even the most liberal Countries (like Sweden) making a total U-Turn in their "open border" policies.
Worst Time ever for this proposal.

Reactions: cavok and windeguy

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Potential good news for those seeking to safely leave by means other than through Central America and Yola to Puerto Rico.

Potential bad news for the coyotes and those involved in the human smuggling trade.

In the end however, this may take years, if at all, to come to be approved.

Note the article quoting President Abinader states the DR is one of four countries that need a Schengen visa. Perhaps there was something lost in the translation because there are almost 100 countries that currently need a Schengen tourist visa to enter.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
He's talking about among countries in Latin America.

Reactions: windeguy

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
If a citizen of the Dominican Republic wants to goto Europe they do not have to wait for the visa.
There are visas available right now:

I told a Dominican friend who wanted to goto the United States to apply for a visa to Spain.
Do the time.
Get residency then as a EU resident they are granted access to United States.
They rolled my eyes at me.
(insert the "I dun no" emoji here)

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If a citizen of the Dominican Republic wants to goto Europe they do not have to wait for the visa.

I told a Dominican friend who wanted to goto the United States to apply for a visa to Spain.
Do the time.
You're serious? I can't imagine them not wanting to go.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
My ex who is Dominican just got a one year visitors visa to Spain. They go a group together. I will be joining them in Madrid for a few days in June. Some of her friends was surprised she got it as she is an independent broker and not with a job/fixed income. I think she got it as she comes across as a traveler with US visa and to Panama, Brazil, Colombia and India for instance. I am also glad she got it as its Schengen and she could then fly to Denmark where I live. She might not have gotten a visa if she has apllied in Denmark.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
My ex who is Dominican just got a one year visitors visa to Spain. They go a group together. I will be joining them in Madrid for a few days in June. Some of her friends was surprised she got it as she is an independent broker and not with a job/fixed income. I think she got it as she comes across as a traveler with US visa and to Panama, Brazil, Colombia and India for instance. I am also glad she got it as its Schengen and she could then fly to Denmark where I live. She might not have gotten a visa if she has apllied in Denmark.
But that is just a tourist visa, correct? She can't legally work? Does she want to work there, and if so what would it take?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Generally if you have a US Visa it is a lot easier to get any other Visa. And vice versa with a EU visa......

Reactions: aarhus and cavok

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I currently have a two year visa for Spain. I had first previously been granted six months, and later, one year. My first one was for three months to go to France.
I am also a visa consultant, and when I talk to people about Schengen visas there just not just the same interest. Many people don't think the investment is worth it. People find it disappointing that they they're issued for short periods of time as compared to US visas, which are usually granted for 10 yrs.

You also have to travel sooner and spend more, plane tickets are more expensive, lodging can be more expensive, too. Most people think they need a tour to go. With U.S. visas you can travel a year later. Plane tickets are cheap. Everyone has someone in the U.S. where they could stay if they decided to travel. Another factor is that many people have an uncle/cousin/whatever in the U.S. telling them they can find them work.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I currently have a two year visa for Spain. I had first previously been granted six months, and later, one year. My first one was for three months to go to France.
I am also a visa consultant, and when I talk to people about Schengen visas there just not just the same interest. Many people don't think the investment is worth it. People find it disappointing that they they're issued for short periods of time as compared to US visas, which are usually granted for 10 yrs.

You also have to travel sooner and spend more, plane tickets are more expensive, lodging can be more expensive, too. Most people think they need a tour to go. With U.S. visas you can travel a year later. Plane tickets are cheap. Everyone has someone in the U.S. where they could stay if they decided to travel. Another factor is that many people have an uncle/cousin/whatever in the U.S. telling them they can find them work.
All very good points about the Schengen vs US Visa.

That said, my wife and I have been back to my home country (she has a 10 year US visitors visa and used to live in Germany) enough times that a trip to the EU would be welcome. A visa consultant, (perhaps it was you in Puerto Plata near Bournigal?) , told us that France was the easiest place for a Dominican to apply for a Schengen visitor's visa at this time. What is your understanding of the better country in which to apply for a Schengen visitors visa?

Jan 9, 2004
All very good points about the Schengen vs US Visa.

That said, my wife and I have been back to my home country (she has a 10 year US visitors visa and used to live in Germany) enough times that a trip to the EU would be welcome. A visa consultant, (perhaps it was you in Puerto Plata near Bournigal?) , told us that France was the easiest place for a Dominican to apply for a Schengen visitor's visa at this time. What is your understanding of the better country in which to apply for a Schengen visitors visa?
FYI, the Baltic countries are much easier.

They also have consulates in SD.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: aarhus

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

Do the time.
A student visa to Spain allows them to work if it does not interfere with their studies (up to 20 hours).
After they complete their studies they are allowed to stay for up to an additional year to secure work and that gives them a route to permanent residency.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Spain seems to welcome people from the Spanish speaking countries down here. I have a Venezuelan friend who is currently living in Madrid and one of my neighbors who's from Havanna is in the process of applying for citizenship by decent now.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Perhaps that is what he meant or said, but it is not what the quoted translation stated.

No, that wasn't me. I think France and Spain are the easiest ones.