7 things to know before booking a stay at the Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Lol...I just finishing reading that earlier today. I agree, it is a very nice All-Inclusive.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
The food is above average for an AI I would say. The price point of the resort is rather high. But it is definitely one of the "higher level" AI's. With both sides, Zilara and Ziva there are quite a number of places to eat. etc...

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Now I'm looking at the photos of the room and I know exactly where to buy that wallpaper, that rug, those amenities etc. And that room isn't very upscale at all, at least to my way of thinking. $550 a night is a lot to pay for that room.

These reviews are all so heavily sponsored by the way. Hotels are always bombarded with requests for a free stay in return for a post on a website, and TPG is a very well known site.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Now I'm looking at the photos of the room and I know exactly where to buy that wallpaper, that rug, those amenities etc. And that room isn't very upscale at all, at least to my way of thinking. $550 a night is a lot to pay for that room.

These reviews are all so heavily sponsored by the way. Hotels are always bombarded with requests for a free stay in return for a post on a website, and TPG is a very well known site.
When is the last time you were in an AI in Punta Cana? And not a cheap one................

Jan 9, 2004

I agree with you on the rooms themselves.

However, when I stayed at Ziva, it was not the room I was interested in…….but recognize it may be of more importance to others.

Ziva/Zilara are a cut above all the other AI’s I have stayed at in PC over the years. And yes you pay more for that. It just depends on what you want and are willing to tolerate out of an AI experience.

For a non AI in PC, Tortuga Bay is still my favorite. Laid back serenity is just what I need after two grueling days dealing with the port authorities at Caucedo.

And neither resort compensated me for this review…….

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: keepcoming

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I agree with you on the rooms themselves.

However, when I stayed at Ziva, it was not the room I was interested in…….but recognize it may be of more importance to others.

Ziva/Zilara are a cut above all the other AI’s I have stayed at in PC over the years. And yes you pay more for that. It just depends on what you want and are willing to tolerate out of an AI experience.

For a non AI in PC, Tortuga Bay is still my favorite. Laid back serenity is just what I need after two grueling days dealing with the port authorities at Caucedo.

And neither resort compensated me for this review…….

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I've only stayed in 2, Hard Rock and Riu Palace. Do you know how would Ziva and Tortuga Bay compare to those?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
When is the last time you were in an AI in Punta Cana? And not a cheap one................
I've never been to PC or stayed at in AI in the DR but it sounds like a nice place to visit.

Jan 9, 2004
I've only stayed in 2, Hard Rock and Riu Palace. Do you know how would Ziva and Tortuga Bay compare to those?
Neither of those come close to Ziva...........although they both offer higher end rooms, but the resorts, both Hard Rock and Riu, definitely give you the feel of mass market tourism and little of the exclusivity and higher end vibe created at Ziva.

Tortuga Bay is non pretentious serenity and luxury.......for those so inclined. The restaurants are excellent and Tortuga is a great recommendation for a special occasion..........because it is not inexpensive by AI standards.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Neither of those come close to Ziva...........although they both offer higher end rooms, but the resorts, both Hard Rock and Riu, definitely give you the feel of mass market tourism and little of the exclusivity and higher end vibe created at Ziva.

Tortuga Bay is non pretentious serenity and luxury.......for those so inclined. The restaurants are excellent and Tortuga is a great recommendation for a special occasion..........because it is not inexpensive by AI standards.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
If you stayed here many times as you say you have you know it is NOT All Inclusive. And none of the restaurants are frugal with their prices. But you do get what you pay for. there.

And rooms currently start at $879 US per night. Not inexpensive as you stated............

Jan 9, 2004
If you stayed here many times as you say you have you know it is NOT All Inclusive. And none of the restaurants are frugal with their prices. But you do get what you pay for. there.

Yes it is not AI....................as I said in Post #8 above and prior posts in various other threads..................."For a non AI in PC, Tortuga Bay is still my favorite."
And rooms currently start at $879 US per night. Not inexpensive as you stated............

They are expensive by design to give exclusivity for people looking for it. Interesting that I encountered a fair number of Dominicans staying there.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
My view on this is that, in general, I would struggle to see good value for money in any hotel stay here that costs more than US$ 500 a night. Dominican customer service standards just don't get up to that level. The educational standards, and the concept of customer service that Dominicans grow up with tends to lead to a product that is never going to get up to that level. If you compare the customer service levels, the food and drink quality and overall experience on a cruise ship which runs at say US$ 800 a night, there really is nothing here that can compete. In my opinion.

And when I read that review I see reasonably basic furnishings in those rooms. The guy admits that you have to get up early to reserve a sun bed anywhere decent, that would seriously p'ss me off if I were paying that much. And he also mentions having to line up for drinks and for food, again that would p'ss me off if I was paying that much.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
My view on this is that, in general, I would struggle to see good value for money in any hotel stay here that costs more than US$ 500 a night. Dominican customer service standards just don't get up to that level. The educational standards, and the concept of customer service that Dominicans grow up with tends to lead to a product that is never going to get up to that level. If you compare the customer service levels, the food and drink quality and overall experience on a cruise ship which runs at say US$ 800 a night, there really is nothing here that can compete. In my opinion.

And when I read that review I see reasonably basic furnishings in those rooms. The guy admits that you have to get up early to reserve a sun bed anywhere decent, that would seriously p'ss me off if I were paying that much. And he also mentions having to line up for drinks and for food, again that would p'ss me off if I was paying that much.
Another critique from someone who has NEVER set foot in any AI in Punta Cana..............

• Haha
Reactions: RDKNIGHT

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Excuse me, I have worked in the hotel industry for a number of years and have been to many, many AI's in Punta Cana. Please don't make the mistake of assuming you know anything about anyone who posts on a public forum.
So as someone that worked a number of years in the hotel industry do you think it is professional to knock one of the top hotels in the world that you have NEVER set foot in? I think NOT...........

Reactions: Nadie21

keepcoming

May 25, 2011

Sorry Maria, but have you stayed there? I have and IMO it was worth the price. I am not comparing a cruise ship with a resort because there is no comparison. For what it offers than yes, it is worth the price. You cannot compare a cruise ship with a resort price. While the price point is a bit higher, the value IMO is there. But again, it depends on what you want. The "Dominican customer standards" as you posted, I find way off base with this resort. Very good , if not excellent customer service here.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Sorry Maria, but have you stayed there? I have and IMO it was worth the price. I am not comparing a cruise ship with a resort because there is no comparison. For what it offers than yes, it is worth the price. You cannot compare a cruise ship with a resort price. While the price point is a bit higher, the value IMO is there. But again, it depends on what you want. The "Dominican customer standards" as you posted, I find way off base with this resort. Very good , if not excellent customer service here.

No I haven't stayed there. I definitely wanted to and have talked about it several times. But after seeing the photos and reading the review I am not sure now. I wouldn't want to pay $500 a night and have to line up for anything. Maybe that's pocket change for you but it's quite a lot for me.

I also don't understand why it's wrong to compare the value for money of staying in a resort with going on a cruise. A boyfriend and I are talking about going away for a week and we are looking at options. A cruise is one and a resort is another. Why wouldn't I compare the value for.money and the service?