GUN PERMIT IN DR ,

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I would say - yes trust them only if you know where they live, have known them 6 months or more and never ever lend anyone money.
Regardless if they are your friend - becuase you will lose the money and the friend.
Just say "I don't lend money", or "I don't have it to lend"
To be able to live here successfully one has to learn to say "Sorry, No" without thinking twice.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would say - yes trust them only if you know where they live, have known them 6 months or more and never ever lend anyone money.
Regardless if they are your friend - becuase you will lose the money and the friend.
Just say "I don't lend money", or "I don't have it to lend"
My wife only lends to teachers and she takes it back off their salary.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
that's what I tell people I don't lend money and I don't have it...once again it goes back to keeping a low profile here and never tell anyone where you live.... keep it on the low

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
that's what I tell people I don't lend money and I don't have it...once again it goes back to keeping a low profile here and never tell anyone where you live.... keep it on the low
So, how when you invite someone for dinner? They just have to figure it out?
I tried this for a while but my kids kept wondering around town for hours after school.

• Haha
Reactions: Fulano2

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
EU, AU, NZ don't need guns to protect themselves in daily life, strange isn't it?
I'm guessing none of these folks have ever been in a gun fight?
Get shot at a time or two and I guarantee you these same folks will change their minds.
It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
When in the states, carrying a pistol is an absolute must at all times.

That said, I've been living in the Dominican Republic a long time and I've never
felt the need to own a gun even tho I know how easy it is for criminals to get a
hold of one.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I'm guessing none of these folks have ever been in a gun fight?
Get shot at a time or two and I guarantee you these same folks will change their minds.
It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
When in the states, carrying a pistol is an absolute must at all times.

That said, I've been living in the Dominican Republic a long time and I've never
felt the need to own a gun even tho I know how easy it is for criminals to get a
hold of one.
Mr. CristoRey how did you manage to be living in the DOMINCAN republic for so many decades and never ever being a victim of a crime ? What it’s your secret ? Or safety tips ?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Mr. CristoRey how did you manage to be living in the DOMINCAN republic for so many decades and never ever being a victim of a crime ? What it’s your secret ? Or safety tips ?
Years yes. Decades no.
Common sense and street smarts definitely plays a roll.
I have been a victim of a crime but nothing worth crying about.
I've never been a victim of a serious crime probably because I always
dress down, I do not brag about my bank accounts or wealth as a way
to impress people and I never try "exploring" unfamiliar neighborhoods
if I do not know someone who lives there.

I also used good judgement and picked a safe spot to live so my neighbors
take care of the rest.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Reactions: MikeFisher

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi Bob. I think you have to take in consideration that above mentioned gunowners are mostly hunters. I mean it’s about shotguns, not handweapons.
The vast majority of guns in the USA, which has the most per capita are also used for hunting. In Canada almost all guns are for hunting. Criminals of course use their guns for other reasons. I see a fair number of Dominicans carrying pistols. Whether they are illegal or legal I don't know, but I assume most are legal , since they are openly carrying them. I shot both handguns, submachine guns, and rifles almost weekly while in the military. My family had both shotguns and rifles at home. These were duck hunting guns, varmint hunting guns, and protection against bears. My brothers and I used to target shoot our semi-automatic .22 as often as we could afford ammo. As adults none of us own guns of any type, but none of us think that gun ownership should be illegal. my dad had a Luger pistol that his uncle had liberated from a German officer during WW2. As far as I can remember, it was loaded but locked up.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The vast majority of guns in the USA, which has the most per capita are also used for hunting. In Canada almost all guns are for hunting. Criminals of course use their guns for other reasons. I see a fair number of Dominicans carrying pistols. Whether they are illegal or legal I don't know, but I assume most are legal , since they are openly carrying them. I shot both handguns, submachine guns, and rifles almost weekly while in the military. My family had both shotguns and rifles at home. These were duck hunting guns, varmint hunting guns, and protection against bears. My brothers and I used to target shoot our semi-automatic .22 as often as we could afford ammo. As adults none of us own guns of any type, but none of us think that gun ownership should be illegal. my dad had a Luger pistol that his uncle had liberated from a German officer during WW2. As far as I can remember, it was loaded but locked up.
If you "see" a Dominican carrying a pistol, they are carrying it illegally. The only way to carry a pistol legally in the DR legally is to carry in concealed.

Reactions: MikeFisher