Starlink Arrived in the DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not really. Installed one at Orchid Bay in Cabrera. Points at approx 45 degree angle towards the ocean/north. Same true for most places on the North Coast. Close tree or a building will cause obstruction.
about 45 degrees up...... that's right

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Anyone got any experience with purchasing Starlink kits from local folks? I see some cell phone shops in Santiago sell new kits for 11-12k Pesos vs 28.840 Pesos on starlink.com web site. How can they do that and have profit? Purchased with stolen credit cards??? They say they've got a bulk price from Starlink when they buy in quantities. I find it hard to believe.

Reactions: Peterj

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Anyone got any experience with purchasing Starlink kits from local folks? I see some cell phone shops in Santiago sell new kits for 11-12k Pesos vs 28.840 Pesos on starlink.com web site. How can they do that and have profit? Purchased with stolen credit cards??? They say they've got a bulk price from Starlink when they buy in quantities. I find it hard to believe.
I've seen them as low as 10K. I'm guessing they are just selling the antenna and the electronics are extra.

Aug 21, 2007
I would like to buy one, too. There was a store in Moca that sold them for about $700 USD, but when we went they were out.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Lindsey, go on FB Marketplace and do a search for Starlink. There are dozens of sellers.
I have been told that these are "seconds",same as the stores that have them for sale. I can't confirm that they are but it makes some sense as Starlink only sells direct to the consumer so where are these coming from??

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
I have been told that these are "seconds",same as the stores that have them for sale. I can't confirm that they are but it makes some sense as Starlink only sells direct to the consumer so where are these coming from??
I have 2 starlinks -- one I bought online directly from starlink, the other I got from a local for 10kRD-- they both work exactly the same. Both have the wifi and adapters for network cable. Buying local you can have it up and running the same day, no waiting.

Reactions: chico bill

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have 2 starlinks -- one I bought online directly from starlink, the other I got from a local for 10kRD-- they both work exactly the same. Both have the wifi and adapters for network cable. Buying local you can have it up and running the same day, no waiting.
Can you give us some average speeds? Just out of curiosity. I saw a post from another user yesterday who was getting something like 4K Mbps. That's pretty insane.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
? do you stream for your tv's.also 10K than you still pay for a monthly service fee

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
? do you stream for your tv's.also 10K than you still pay for a monthly service fee
2900Rd monthly. Lowest speeds I've seen are around 60mb , highest 260mb- average daytime 70-100. Evenings or early mornings 125-200

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
Yes our school has a 4k tv and sometimes we stream to it. Speed does vary, it is not a constant 150mb connection.