Stomping their feet.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The DR hosting a WBC anytime soon? Why?
Let's cut to the grain here:

The WBC was the brainchild of MLB to export the franchise to other countries and gain new would be spenders to the label. The DR is beisbol crazy already and I doubt it can get any hotter than that.

Santiago or Santo Domingo as a host to an initial phase of the elimination is not something we're ready for yet as cities. Santiago lacks too much in that field to accommodate a heavy influx of foreigners for such event (if in fact it was to be a commercial success) in any category as of now...

Santo Domingo is way too congested to have any better luck as well; I think that the DR can still play great baseball and export our image to other countries more effectively than hosting and becoming a disaster.

Down the road? A rotund "Aye" will be expected to serve as hosts, but for now we're not in any shape to host yet.

As expected MLB will "consider" the DR as a host for the 2013 classic, if we can shape up until then. Better get that new metro line to nick the Quisqueya stadium and have Santiago's Estadio Cibao on par to a MLB field and seating. Much work needs to be completed to get there...

Btw: The local beisbol big shots representing the DR to MLB already gave their OK to attend the 2009 classic...

el fino

Jan 14, 2008
There was all this Fuss for nothing, If I would have known that they would give in so easily I wouldn't have even bothered posting on this thread.

Opusculum

Joseito - Sad Pathetic Sock Puppet
Jan 14, 2008
If I would have known that they would give in so easily I wouldn't have even bothered posting on this thread.

So, had you known in advance what they would do, you wouldn't have done what you did.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There was all this Fuss for nothing, If I would have known that they would give in so easily I wouldn't have even bothered posting on this thread.

I wonder why they gave in so easily - however, if they were somehow going to be paid, well that would explain it, eses tigueres.

el fino

Jan 14, 2008
I wonder why they gave in so easily - however, if they were somehow going to be paid, well that would explain it, eses tigueres.

Thats what I think happened, the right people got paid (or were promised to get paid) and everybody falls in line. It just makes them look like pushovers.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
It's all their OWN doing...they are pushovers...and they just wanted MONEY...

They got what they deserved...but I sure hope it wasn't MONEY...maybe just a promise of 'next time'... ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think I should reword it, "they were going to lose money if they took the stance". It would seem only proper that mlb would make some contribution to the participating countrie's teams.

Given that the DR team owners were going to lose money the decision was made easy for them, btw how else are they going to pay for that new house in Windermere, haha???

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Sunny Northern Cal

Thanks MQ. There are very few things that would draw me to Florida, but sipping - or gulping - Mojitos and catching a game with you would be one.

I'm not sure if I understand a few of the previous posts.

Is there a belief that baseball officials were paid off to quiet down about the subject of the DR being a future host?

I don't see how the DR officials would have a leg to stand on in any protest.

If MLB is paying the bills, how could - or would - the DR baseball officials have any say in that whatsoever? If anything was exchanged between MLB and the DR consigliere it was this: "shut up, stand down".

Based on the history of organized baseball in the DR - the most recent Caribbean Series event for example - what ability has been demonstrated that would entice MLB to stage a major event there?

There isn't a market - a large enough one - in the DR that could or would pay the price to go to a MLB game. Take the Sox and A's in Tokyo for example. That's an 18 hour flight for teams in Florida, yet MLB has been there twice this decade. It's a huge (and wealthy) market for baseball - Japanese are fanatical about whatever it is they're interested in (ping pong, snowboarding or baseball).

There's no shortage of fanatics of baseball in the DR, but the vast majority are low-income households that simply can't afford such an event and would be just as happy listening to it on the radio or watching it at the local colmado.

In fact, if I was still living in SD that's where I'd rather entertain myself as well. Or at the banca de portiva watching some highly spirited games of dominoes during the commercial breaks - that seem to get longer and longer every season.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There's no shortage of fanatics of baseball in the DR, but the vast majority are low-income households that simply can't afford such an event and would be just as happy listening to it on the radio or watching it at the local colmado.

Totally true.

I am going to Cap Cana this week and I will be looking to see just how many people will show up to watch these PGA Seniors play for $2,000,000.....at RD$1000 a ticket!! In Punta Cana!

I am betting that a couple of hundred of the very wealthy will show up with their children in their Crocs?, and Dockers....we'll see.

The Caribbean Series was a great series, not 100% supported by the fans...

HB

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
But HB...the fans COULD NOT support the series with tickets prices being what they were!!!

I would have LOVED to have had GOOD SEATS for the game that we attended, but I DID NOT and WOULD NOT give a scalper OR the ticket office $120 of my hard earned dollars!!!!