Rising Cost of Living

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Matilda is right about the scale and the trends. For example, our housekeeper (a 19 yr old with two kids) and "technically married" to the father of the kids, works for $350RD/day at our house (plus we supply her family with medicines and some food). The husband works as a golf caddy and most days gets NOTHING. They are 100% reliant on tips as caddies yet he won't leave that job for a guarantee of 350-400 RD/day. I say technically married because there isn't a whole lot from my perspective that he does as a husband or father--ie. no $ for household (any he does earn goes to cerveza & chicas) and he NEVER takes care of the kids (if they are sick--she is the one; if they up at night, she is the one.) Yes, this pattern isn't unique to the DR, but OMG is it pronounced.

What I don't understand is how these guys can turn down a guaranteed 350-400RD/Day (once they get on with the same construction site, a lot of the Dominicans get beyond that base 350 relatively quickly--from those I've spoken to, frequent small raises are used to keep them from jumping ship if they are hard workers) in lieu of a CHANCE to maybe earn 400-500RD. It's not like the tips are 1000 RD or anything and that the gamble pays off. Maybe once every 7-10 days they will get a 500 peso bill. Is it the fact that they can think of themselves as "white collar" workers-literally (as in the caddies wear white)? If someone can explain this, I'd love to hear the rationale. TIA!
Paz y salud,
DrChrisHE

because that is what HAITIANS work for... they work for 350 pesos a day. Dominican construction workers get 600 pesos a day. That is what they demand. The presence of close to a million Haitian workers in this country makes it imposible for the Dominicans to organize and form any sort of union. Up in Samana, when the Prinicipie bought the old El Portillio Hotel chain, they brought in their gang of 400 Haitian workers that they transport around the country. They pay them 300 pesos a day. The local Dominican workers were protesting -- saying that they wanted the work but NOT at that price. It is the same argument in the States- when the argument is made for immigrant labor coming in to do jobs that ?mericans ?will not do?-- and the answer is ?not at that price?--- so -- should the Haitians,,, by some miracle, ever leave, by or the Dominicans get ?poor?enough --- they will compete..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
rising food costs

Platanos at 15 pesos-- is this Noel? it must be, right? And despite the complaints about the rising cost of rice, I have not seen a reduction in the amount of the rice being served in the rice and bean dish --- in the colmados...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Certainly from a British point of view a holiday to the DR is good value at the moment, as are most of the long haul destinations because of the weak dollar. The current exchange rate of 65 pesos to the pound is a lot higher than it was 6 - 12 months ago.

Whilst costs of living are rising world wide at least here in the UK there are opportunities for overtime or a second job should income not meet outgoings. For many Dominicans, if they actually have employment, wages seem to be staying the same or even decreasing whilst the cost of living is steadily increasing. A very worrying situation - both for them and for those of us who care about them.

I also wonder how this will affect present retirees to the DR who are on a fixed income i.e a pension - will they at any point consider returning to where they came from originally?

Won?t it still be more expensive back where we came from? Unless we have, shudder shudder, families that we can move in with? Of course, we perhaps would have some government assistance with medical expenses?

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Won?t it still be more expensive back where we came from? Unless we have, shudder shudder, families that we can move in with? Of course, we perhaps would have some government assistance with medical expenses?

That is the sort of thing I was thinking of mountainannie - I can only talk, and apologise for doing so, about the UK, but yes there is the NHS, Social Security benefits in terms of topping up a low income or to meet housing needs, and of course families. I can understand a reluctance to move back but it does serve as a safety net sometimes.

When I think of what my DR friend would be getting in state help for her and the kids if she was a Brit and how she manages her hand to mouth existence at the moment my heart bleeds at the inequality of who we are and where we were born.

Rio

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Just got back from Supermercado Jose Luis in POP
Here some prices
Chickenlegs- 44.50/lb
Loaf of german white bread -86.00
Cooked ham Campo frio- 146.00/lb
Eggs(18)- 87.95
Chickenbreast -103.95/lb
Bacon -84.50
Bell peppers- 36.50/lb
Barilla Spaghetti- 57.95/lb
Corn oil 48oz 178.95
Limes- 49.00/lb
Pork tenderloin- 97.50/lb
Nacional Cigarettes- 650.00
Onions- 19.00/lb
Potatoes- 18.95/lb
Chicken wings- 48.95/lb

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Next trip to Jumbo, we'll post some of our items. I know things have gone up substantially in the past two years but does anyone have a list from say 5 years ago or 10 years ago for comparison? If there is a chart showing the prices over time, that would be a great link to have here. TIA!

Last edited:

domingodeb

Feb 18, 2008
And the same all over the world

In Canada, where I live which is in Southern Ontario, we have what they call the Holland Marsh. This is where the carrots and onions for 'probably half of the free world' are grown. We cannot find a Canadian to work those fields. Workers are brought in from Mexico and whereever to do the work. Canadian's would rather sit at home and collect welfare cheques than actually work. My beef with the system is why we can't bring in Dominicans to do the work. I know a lot of people in the DR that would be happy to come and do it but visa restrictions etc. don't allow it. And yes, DrChris is right---what is the matter with Domincan men who think they have no responsibility to provide for anyone but themselves when they have a family that they have 'made'? I know Dominican men who are raising their children on their own and trying to provide----with pride!!!! Why do the men who have a woman taking care of the children think they owe nothing?
because that is what HAITIANS work for... they work for 350 pesos a day. Dominican construction workers get 600 pesos a day. That is what they demand. The presence of close to a million Haitian workers in this country makes it imposible for the Dominicans to organize and form any sort of union. Up in Samana, when the Prinicipie bought the old El Portillio Hotel chain, they brought in their gang of 400 Haitian workers that they transport around the country. They pay them 300 pesos a day. The local Dominican workers were protesting -- saying that they wanted the work but NOT at that price. It is the same argument in the States- when the argument is made for immigrant labor coming in to do jobs that ?mericans ?will not do?-- and the answer is ?not at that price?--- so -- should the Haitians,,, by some miracle, ever leave, by or the Dominicans get ?poor?enough --- they will compete..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Here is a list that Robert posted in February 2003 ..

Just thought I'd post a list of a few items I just brought at Multi-Centro. Not sure how these compare to USA prices?

I'll have to do this more often so people can see the prices here.

6 x chicken fillets - RD$67.55 (US$2.70)
Small cream cheese - RD$58.62 (US$2.34)
Oral B tooth brush - RD$60.84 (US$2.43)
4 x toilet rolls (soft) - RD$97.37 (US$3.89)
4 x Onions RD$25.39 (US$1.01)
Medium tube of Colgate - RD$42.95 (US$1.71)
Medium Scope mouth wash - RD$91.84 (US$3.67)
Small tub of butter - RD$24.95 (US$0.99)

Going to the bathroom is getting expensive!

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Interesting Chris (Thanks for reposting that)--it appears as though food increases have seriously outstripped other items (and I thought the hygiene category was on the high end when we moved here.) Robert is right though...trips to the bathroom are expensive here--which explains why toilet paper is commonly stolen from restrooms.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
With the value of the dollar tanking a little every day and crude oil hitting 112 dollars yesterday, are people planning any lifestyle changes to hedge against possibly lower incomes?
Is DR property still a good bet?
Are new prospective DR expats taking the changing cost structure into account when planning to move to the DR?

1. My guess would be that most people (pick the country) are changing their consumption patterns (ie. they are focusing their expenses more on basic goods/services and less on the discretionary types). However, to properly hedge against a potential loss of wealth, the proper action right now would be to invest in commodities. In fact, that is a major reason why all sorts of foods have skyrocketed in price lately in the global commodities exchange markets as well as other types such as gold, silver, etc. People are now moving their wealth away from currencies and (in the US anyway) real estate towards commodities.

The oil crisis certainly doesn't help since an increase in the price of oil affects the price of everything that needs transportation, energy, etc.

2. I think it is, but it is highly localized. Depending on what type of real estate, the location of such and a few other issues; Dominican property is likely to still be a good bet. But again, one needs to be careful where they put their money because, and I think everyone knows this already, everything that shines in the DR is not necessarily gold, it could be one big pile of pyrite instead. :paranoid:

3. Doesn't pertain to me so....

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Above all in a country known as the one showing the biggest differences in income between the rich and the poor in Latin America.
Says who? :surprised

The DR's gini coefficient is much closer to that of the U.S. than is the case with most other Latin American countries, and there are many countries in Latin America that have a much greater gini coefficient rate.

Thus, I must ask:

Where did you read that the DR has the widest gap between the rich and poor in Latin America? :ermm:

-NALs

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
That is the sort of thing I was thinking of mountainannie - I can only talk, and apologise for doing so, about the UK, but yes there is the NHS, Social Security benefits in terms of topping up a low income or to meet housing needs, and of course families. I can understand a reluctance to move back but it does serve as a safety net sometimes.

When I think of what my DR friend would be getting in state help for her and the kids if she was a Brit and how she manages her hand to mouth existence at the moment my heart bleeds at the inequality of who we are and where we were born.

Rio

well, I am not yet eligible for Medicare in the States, and I am not a traditional medicine consumer but more of an alternative type which is not covered by Medicare so I don't see the States as a good alternative for me.

Here I have cheaper housing than I will ever find in the States, if I need a doctor, I get an office visit right away, and his cell phone number, and whatever medicines I need at close to Canadian prices, plus I have household help which I could never ever in a hundred million years afford in the States, when and if I am ever really sick - which I was for a time, I just ask her to come in extra days, and she cooks me la bandera and changes the sheets, and then I call the pharmacy and then come right over with more meds.

When I am feeling better, I walk next door to the health club for a steam bath and a massage at the health club or a swim in outdoor pool at the resort hotel next door..... so those of us who have leveraged "our privelge" have probably done the very best that we we can do with what we have. At least I think that I certainly have. I know that I live a much more comfortable life here than I ever did in the States - much less stress, much more ease.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
...... have probably done the very best that we we can do with what we have. At least I think that I certainly have. I know that I live a much more comfortable life here than I ever did in the States - much less stress, much more ease.

Hi mountainannie,

I envy you, really I do.

Rio

Nov 3, 2007
i heard that out of the current price in gas (170 i believe for cheap gas) 90 pesos of that is taxes. If thats true thats outrageous.

Leonel wanted to leave a legacy for himself with spending so much money we dont have on making this stupid train, that by the way still wont fix the traffic problem, and which will cost more to maintain that it did to build. Just so he can say "hey, i was that president that build a train system like new york city for dr!"

why not be the president that can say "hey, i was that president that fixed the electricity problem in dr!"

hes a good president, but the 2 dumbest decisions was that stupid train, and the money he blew on those airplanes!

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
One thing I am very fortunate of, as prices rise on most commodities is the price of drinking water. In the states you get a liter of purified water for the same price as a 5 gallon jug here. What will happen when the price of drinking water starts sky-rocketing?
Is this a monopoly that we will all face soon?
Today in the world "dirt" is no longer cheap, nor water free.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
One thing I am very fortunate of, as prices rise on most commodities is the price of drinking water. In the states you get a liter of purified water for the same price as a 5 gallon jug here. What will happen when the price of drinking water starts sky-rocketing?

In most places in the States, buying purified water is a luxury. In the DR, it is a daily necessity. The prices of water jugs always lag other items because there would be a revolt if it went up much.

A question I have never gotten a satisfactory answer to is just how "purified" the water in those jugs sold in the DR really is....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In Jarabacoa there is a large reverse osmosis plant, and also an Artesian well(spring) Other parts of the DR I can't vouch for.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Is this a monopoly that we will all face soon?
Today in the world "dirt" is no longer cheap, nor water free.

Obviously you must know it doesn't cost that much to make purified water in the States. The majority of that cost is markup and the bottle. In fact, some bottled water makers take their water right from the tap of the local municipal supply.

I would suspect that most of the bottled water here comes from a municipal source that is then is further purified. Water is still relatively cheap here to. Most people here pay around 10 to 15 US a month for water and sewer service, and I would estimate that to be around 4-6000 gallons a month.