Pets Adapting to DR

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
I am planning to relocate to Santo Domingo with my dog, a 90 pound Labrador Retriever. I was wondering if anyone else has relocated a lab, and if so, how has the dog(s) adjusted to the weather?

Also, for all those who have dogs in the DR, what is the primary diet you provide for your animals? I currently live in NJ and my dog is on a natural dry food diet, but I'm assuming that there are few options for dry food in SD.....I'm just trying to get an idea of what type of changes I need to prepare for so I can make it as smooth of a change for my pup as possible.

Thanks so much!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You can get sacks of dry dog food in most supermarkets - I'm in Puerto Plata; in Santo Domingo you have a far better choice of dog food outlets, but the SD people can post & tell you exactly where.

We brought a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel from the UK years ago & nature did a lot of the adjusting for us viz. he shed his outer coat here in the heat & just had his soft fluffy undercoat. Can't comment on labs but many expats have them here on the north coast so someone is bound to respond sooner or later.

Obviously you'll make sure he has all his vaccinations current - make sure that includes leptospirosis.

Good luck. As long as he's with you, his human companion, I'm sure he'll be fine, wherever the location is.

You might want to ask the SD people about suitable parks etc for walks. Traffic can be a bit of a nightmare here so he must be on a lead in a town until you get to a safe area.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am planning to relocate to Santo Domingo with my dog, a 90 pound Labrador Retriever. I was wondering if anyone else has relocated a lab, and if so, how has the dog(s) adjusted to the weather?

Also, for all those who have dogs in the DR, what is the primary diet you provide for your animals? I currently live in NJ and my dog is on a natural dry food diet, but I'm assuming that there are few options for dry food in SD.....I'm just trying to get an idea of what type of changes I need to prepare for so I can make it as smooth of a change for my pup as possible.

Thanks so much!!

We brought our 3 black Labrador Retrievers - Mum, Dad and daughter, when we moved to the DR from England in June 2006. Their adjustment was a smooth transition as they quickly adapted to seeking shady spots to avoid the power of the sun. The dry food is readily available everywhere and they do very well on it.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

Thanks so much!!

Just feed your dog "Caco de pollo" (Dominican style) it's cheap, you can buy it at a "matadero", it has a lot of nutrients and your dog will feel like a dog again ;)

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
adjusted, but it took some time

We brought our 100 pound golden retriever / yellow lab mix with us a few years ago. We brought him here in late spring and it was hard for him the first few months. I attribute it to the humidity. We do shave him in the summers. He looks like a golden most of the year and a lab in the summers. Now, three summers later, he is fully adjusted. We have the A/C in the bedroom and he certainly wants to sleep there on a hot night. I don't know how he would handle a winter in most US states if we ever end up back in the states.

I am pretty sure your dog will be fine if s/he is otherwise in good health.

One more thing (and if I recall I gave you this relocation company name in the past)....I was very happy with the work of

LUCKY DOG!, LLC
A Pet Relocation Service
www.LuckyDogTravels.com
1-404-551-5028 1-888-575-5025

They were not cheap but they did take good care of my dog.

Last edited:

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Relocated in 06 with a golden retriever. As stated before we keep him trimmed in the summer. As well I hope you have a pool - ours lives in our pool and even has his lunch sometimes poolside while sitting on the pools stairs. You lab should be fine...good luck...Tom

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
As well I hope you have a pool - ours lives in our pool and even has his lunch sometimes poolside while sitting on the pools stairs.

ahaha! my pup does the same thing here in the summers! - too cute. i'm sure i will not have an in-ground pool, but getting an above ground baby wading pool shouldn't be a problem. thanks for the advice, tom!

-Carey

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
papers

Also, I spoke with Continental airlines yesterday about the paperwork I will need to provide for my dog, and they did mention that I will need certified paperwork describing his breed, state of health, and list of current vaccinations. I was told I can get this directly from my vet, but in the past, I've also had people tell me that I'll need to get it certified in a state office. Is this true?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Correct me if I am wrong please but I was assuming that your dog was a Labrador Retriever and not a Golden Retirever, i.e. with the slightly shorter Lab coat.

SosuaEcua

Dec 31, 2008
you just have to get a certificate from your VET for international travel, costs about $40.. basically claims your dog is rabies free and in good health to travel. Once you get to DR.. Agriculture Officials will stop you and they complete paperwork.. tip them about $10 bucks... and you will be out of there asap.... Brought my Lab thru Santiago airport... we live in Sosua... he did well... as those above... our pool is his... he goes swimming practically everyday.... esp when its really warm....

CWP27rok

Jan 16, 2009
I am hoping to travel with my Service Dog next month (but will be travelling with an aid regardless). Do you know how friendly people are about dogs? It only recently occurred to me that DR is not the US so the Americans with Disabilities Act does not apply there!