Papera epedemic?? What is it?????

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
In the last two weeks i have known quite a few children and now a few more of my employees have been suffering with what they call "Papera" here in Higuey.

The symptoms are an extremley swollen gland in the neck sometimes both that cause pain mainy due to the size of the swelling i think, and a fever.

It seems very contagious, but i have not come across this before and dont seem to be able to liken it to a virus/name that i am familiar with in order to research it a bit.

I really would like to know more so i can protect the rest of my workforce, my family and make some of you aware of this problem if it is indeed widespread. I would imagine if it is a virus that effects the glands to swell so much, men in particular would want to stay away from this problem ;)

Has anyone else come in to contact with anyone suffering this problem?

Does anyone know the English name for such an illness?

Any info greatly appreciated, Thank you xx

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Thank you,

A friend just did look it up in her dictionary and yes it is "Paperas" with an "s".

Oh goodness i hope it doesnt spread more, luckily i have had it as a child and i remember it being quite terrible.

My daughter has had her SRP (Sarampion, Rubeola y Papera)/MMR (Measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine, but i presume i did as a child and still contracted it.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Thank you,

My daughter has had her SRP (Sarampion, Rubeola y Papera)/MMR (Measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine, but i presume i did as a child and still contracted it.

You contracted it recently? I thought you were supposed to be immune after vaccination? I think it's more painful as an adult.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Just found my answer -

How effective is this vaccine?

Approximately 80% of individuals become immune to mumps after a single dose of vaccine. The second dose of MMR vaccine is intended to produce immunity in the 20% of persons who did not respond to the first dose. This also ensures that the individual gets another chance to become immune to measles and rubella.

So its not a sure thing then, and may explain why i had it as a child.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
if it really is an "epidemic" the government will start re-vaccinating everyone like they did with the rubeola (german measles) epidemic two years ago.

bill p

Aug 18, 2003
my girlfriend, her 2 kids, 2 nieces and 2 sisters, live in andres .they all have it. she took the boys to the doc and he told her there are 9000 cases in the dom. rep. right now.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
my girlfriend, her 2 kids, 2 nieces and 2 sisters, live in andres .they all have it. she took the boys to the doc and he told her there are 9000 cases in the dom. rep. right now.

My goodness, i thought as i had not heard much more about it the last few days that it must be just an isolated incident, but WOW!

Usually it effects children 2-12 the most, but a few adults i know have suffered in the last few weeks. I think maybe the reason for that is Mr Lj told me that many people his age from poor backgrounds probably never had their vacinations.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Most folks in the campos don't follow up with their vaccines.....government sends reps to vaccinate people to the houses, so I'm sure they miss many.

disciplemckie

Feb 16, 2004
www.dovemissions.com
Mumps

I was suprised to have 2 children in our Youth Development Center have contracted the mumps. They live in Playa Oeste. I was told there are many children from their school who also have it. Just FYI

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I have been feeling sick the last few days, with most of the symptoms of mumps. I just thought that it was normal "gripe".

I am looking at a recent blood work done where I was tested for Mumps AB (IGG) and my results were "Immune". So I may just have a normal "cold" since I am immune from mumps, but who really knows?

Thanks for this thread. I will now slow down on my activities and consider myself to be highly contagious. :surprised

I guess I am not available for the expat meeting SDQ.

XtremeCycles

Jan 27, 2010
I think i just had this about 2 weeks ago and I thought it was the flu or a cold the i got a fever for like a week and at times i was cold and shivering then my throat swelled up and my tongue and i couldnt eat anything along with that my ears fely like i was at altitude but it was bad im better now but it was a hard few days