Spanish speakers recommend me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
.. a good forum(s) in Spanish. It doesn't have to be for Dominicans and my goal for joining is to improve my Spanish just like many of you joined DR1.

Gracias

PS I you have any advice on getting rid of my gringo accent it would be much appreciated. :)

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
PS I you have any advice on getting rid of my gringo accent it would be much appreciated. :)

Sorry Chip...that accent will never go away. It's part of you. It's jut like my English. Speak it like an American MOST of the times but once in a while that "Latino" accent comes out.

And like the saying goes...practice makes perfect so keep on practicing my friend.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sorry Chip...that accent will never go away. It's part of you. It's jut like my English. Speak it like an American MOST of the times but once in a while that "Latino" accent comes out.

And like the saying goes...practice makes perfect so keep on practicing my friend.

Nooooooooo!!!! :)

Seriously, I can actually recognize my accent in addition to the regional ones here in the DR and from other countries as well and people here say my accent is fairly good but it still bothers me because it doesn't sound pure for all of the words. I have gotten this far by imitating but this method probably has it's limitations and was thinking maybe I need to get a Spanish tutor and wanted to hear if one of you guys who learned English ever went this route to refine your English?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
what sort of accent are you aiming for - virtually everyone has some form of accent even (or especially) in their native tongue

I suppose in theory English should be spoken without an American accent - lol Im opening a can of worms here lol

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Chip,

I don't know if getting an actual tutor will help. I can already see the tutor showing you how to pronounce things and you pronouncing after the tutor. I think you are on the right path when you said you listen and try to immitate. Good approach! And just keep watching Dominican television and talking to the people around you.

?

? bient?t

El Chip-Oh! Judging from some of your posts in Spanish, it appears you are a quick learner.

So, here's today's lesson, which you may already know: In English, the 'T' sound is sharp and explosive, pero suavecita en espa?ol. Make a conscious effort until it becomes a habit. E' duro, compadre, pero to' e' posible.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
what sort of accent are you aiming for - virtually everyone has some form of accent even (or especially) in their native tongue

I suppose in theory English should be spoken without an American accent - lol Im opening a can of worms here lol

touche :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
El Chip-Oh! Judging from some of your posts in Spanish, it appears you are a quick learner.

So, here's today's lesson, which you may already know: In English, the 'T' sound is sharp and explosive, pero suavecita en espa?ol. Make a conscious effort until it becomes a habit. E' duro, compadre, pero to' e' posible.

Thanks, and for that matter the Spanish "d" is also much softer, almost like a hard English "th". I learned that my first week in the DR back in 2000 when a young lady friend of my wife corrected my version of "todo bien". As you can imagine saying "todo bien" with a hard "d" doesn't sound well to most Dominicans, especially women. :)

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Pronunciation was very good, just need to be a little more "relaxed" in front of the camera so the words just flow.

.. a good forum(s) in Spanish. It doesn't have to be for Dominicans and my goal for joining is to improve my Spanish just like many of you joined DR1.

Gracias

Chip, I would advise you to start meeting some women on Badoo.com or hi5.com and start conversating with them on MSN messenger and you will be learning to write and speak Dominican Spanish at light speed, but I believe your a married man and that would open a whole other can of worms. ;)

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Nooooooooo!!!! :)

Seriously, I can actually recognize my accent in addition to the regional ones here in the DR and from other countries as well and people here say my accent is fairly good but it still bothers me because it doesn't sound pure for all of the words. I have gotten this far by imitating but this method probably has it's limitations and was thinking maybe I need to get a Spanish tutor and wanted to hear if one of you guys who learned English ever went this route to refine your English?

Chip why don't you try studying something in DR?, some extracurricular activities that will allow you to speak abundantly and get you in contact with Dominicans who speak properly.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, I would advise you to start meeting some women on Badoo.com or hi5.com and start conversating with them on MSN messenger and you will be learning to write and speak Dominican Spanish at light speed, but I believe your a married man and that would open a whole other can of worms. ;)

uh yeah... I mean no. :surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.