When to send additional proof of relationship - Immigration Canada

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Hi Everyone,

These questions has been sent to me by PM a few times lately and I was wondering what each of you has done in this situation or if you have any opinions or words of advice.

1) If/When is the right time to send in additional proof of relationship?

2) Can you send additional proof of relationship with only a client id number or should you wait until you have the immigration "B" file number?

3) Will immigration look down on our application if we sent it right after we got married and don't have any proof of relationship from after our wedding?

4) If you feel you should send additional proof, what are the most important things to send?

Thanks!
Sangria

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Our Experience

In our situation, we knew we had to send a 2nd package of documents midway through the process.

We had to send in my husbands updated cedula as it was not valid and very out of date. We also had to send the RPRF receipt and our daughters statement of birth.

As we were sending these documents, I also included additional phone bills, emails, photos, trip tickets etc to provide additional proof of our relationship since our wedding.

We applied in July and sent this package at the beginning of January.

Had we not needed to send in the required documents I am not sure if I would have sent the additional proof of relationship.

I don't know if it helped us but I am sure that it didnt hurt us.

Some will say that if immigration wants more proof since your wedding they will ask for it and that you should wait for further instruction from them.

My advice to anyone who feels that they need/want to send additional things is to send quality items.

Make sure you have each page labelled with your spouses name, dob, B file number so that they don't get lost or put in the wrong file.

Sangria

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
I recently added some additional documents - I did this because a great deal of time had passed and we did not yet even have a file number - I thought this was one way to see what was up without calling and asking - since they don't like that. I added copies of identification and passport etc showing I had taken my husband's name and a receipt for a trip taken after our application had been submitted. I"m glad I did because the next day they informed us they were ready to interview my husband -and that they'd sent him a letter in July - had I not done this we would have never got our interview date as we still don't have the letter. Important to note - never in the email did I ask the status of our file - I simply stated I wanted the following information added to our file and included my husband's name and date of birth - they replied with his file number (which we didn't have yet) and his interview.

Sangria is completely right though - make sure its quality information - otherwise they'll get frustrated if they think you're wasting their time.
I'm going to the interview and will be taking more additional proof with me to make sure we have it available should we be requested for it. I made sure in our original applciation to include things to show we have combined our life - such as his name being added to my RRSP's and my life insurance policies. And I made sure my husband new about these things too - in case they ask him. I enquired about adding him to my bank account but the bank said he has to be there in person for that to happen - I have that response in email format so I can include it as well.

I don't think they look down on your application for applying soon after marriage - don't most people want to start this process as soon as possible? I wouldn't worry about that - and I wouldn't stress about sending them additional information if they haven't requested it - we simply did it in the hopes we could find out something about the status of our application - but now - we'll take the additional proof to the interview and if its needed - submit it at that time. the proof leading up to your marriage is just as essential as the proof following.

Good luck to all!

Reactions: sangria

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Email or Snail Mail?

Hi Kacy,

Did you send additional information via email or regular mail? Sounds like email? I did not know you could do that... + how long was this after your application had been submitted?

Thanks,
Tig

I recently added some additional documents - I did this because a great deal of time had passed and we did not yet even have a file number - I thought this was one way to see what was up without calling and asking - since they don't like that. I added copies of identification and passport etc showing I had taken my husband's name and a receipt for a trip taken after our application had been submitted. I"m glad I did because the next day they informed us they were ready to interview my husband -and that they'd sent him a letter in July - had I not done this we would have never got our interview date as we still don't have the letter. Important to note - never in the email did I ask the status of our file - I simply stated I wanted the following information added to our file and included my husband's name and date of birth - they replied with his file number (which we didn't have yet) and his interview.

Sangria is completely right though - make sure its quality information - otherwise they'll get frustrated if they think you're wasting their time.
I'm going to the interview and will be taking more additional proof with me to make sure we have it available should we be requested for it. I made sure in our original applciation to include things to show we have combined our life - such as his name being added to my RRSP's and my life insurance policies. And I made sure my husband new about these things too - in case they ask him. I enquired about adding him to my bank account but the bank said he has to be there in person for that to happen - I have that response in email format so I can include it as well.

I don't think they look down on your application for applying soon after marriage - don't most people want to start this process as soon as possible? I wouldn't worry about that - and I wouldn't stress about sending them additional information if they haven't requested it - we simply did it in the hopes we could find out something about the status of our application - but now - we'll take the additional proof to the interview and if its needed - submit it at that time. the proof leading up to your marriage is just as essential as the proof following.

Good luck to all!

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Kacy,

If you submitted your info by email. Did you use a scanner to scan the boarding passes and that kind of stuff?

Thanks.

Jess

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Yes - I scanned my information and sent it - our file had been in process for 6 months. I don't reccommend doing this unless you haven't heard anything at all (we didn't even have a file number and I saw here that others did) as I know that they do indicate just to stick with your original submission and they will request additional documents if they require them. If you do do it - just do it one time - the embassy is quite clear that Haiti recieves a large volume of requests - so too many emails and phone calls - keep them from processing claims - which no one wants to make it harder for them to concetrate on getting our loved ones through the process.

In our case we got lucky and found out there was a letter out there we hadn't received and now we have our interview - but I know they don't like to receive constant emails - as they have to go through them - plus - remember that they only respond to your newest one - so if you send multiple emails they won't look at the ones before your last one. You have to be patient.

We applied quickly after marrying and I was delayed on changing my name as I knew I was going back soon after and so I didn't have time to change my passport - so I waited to change my name until we had finished that vacation. I thought it was important that they knew I had taken my husband's name and that I had returned after our marriage - but mostly - I wanted to know what was going on but knew I couldn't ask what was going on. I don't regret it - but if things are progressing at a regular rate I wouldn't reccommend it - just take it with you to the interview in the event it is requested you will have it on hand. I just saw others who were on about the same timeline as us getting interviews and we didn't even have a file number yet so I took a chance. Had we had a file number and received our letter I wouldn't have done that. I didn't send a large volume of information - though I could have added new Western union receipts and phone bills since submission - but those I will save in case more proof is requested at the interview.
Hope that helps! I just don't want to start a tyraid of emails going to the embassy - as that slows things down for everyone.

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for the info Kacy.

I'm not going send anything to Port-au-Prince now but I will keep saving up proof so we have it when or if they ask. I'm going to be patient and wait awhile to see if we hear anything.

Cheers, Jess

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
Sangria,

Another great idea to discuss on the forum.

My husband should have his new Cedula in a month and I recently started a new job so I am planning to send Haiti this new information soon. Things for me are still early so I don't want to jump the gun but they do indicate to send any new information like birth of a child, new job, address change etc... on the CIC website so keep this in mind as your application is 'in process' and things do change in your life.

The CIC website states to contact them if
You wish to report important changes regarding your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in employment, acquisition of a new educational credential, results of an approved language test.

B :)

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Exactly barbie this would be the type of information where an update is warranted. that's why I sent them my update as well - because my passport was different - as it now had my married name and then I thought while I sent that I might as well send teh ticket for our last trip.

also - as an aside when your husband updates his cedula make sure he changes his status to married (I'm sure you've thought of this)- many dominican's don't because its often not necessary -but in this case its just one more bit of "proof".

Good luck!!!

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
Kacy, thanks for the tip about the Cedula. He is sure he told the person he was married but is going to double check as it has not been issued yet! I did explain to him quite firmly that it HAD to say casano on it or it would cause us problems with immigration! It is amazing how things there don't matter to them but they don't realize the significance it has for the immigration process. I hope it is all fine and he doesn't need to have it done AGAIN.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Kacy, thanks for the tip about the Cedula. He is sure he told the person he was married but is going to double check as it has not been issued yet! I did explain to him quite firmly that it HAD to say casano on it or it would cause us problems with immigration! It is amazing how things there don't matter to them but they don't realize the significance it has for the immigration process. I hope it is all fine and he doesn't need to have it done AGAIN.

It's casado, maybe it's only a typing mistake on your part though

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004

My husband changed the marital status on his cedula, he had to bring a legalized copy of our marriage certificate (which they kept) and 500 pesos. Also, his new cedula was not issued right away... the info was updated and he got a receipt with his new photo and the change but was told the new card itself would not be ready until september... which reminds me... it must be about time we call the number they gave us to check on it...

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
Tiguerita, thanks for the info I'll let him know to bring a copy of the legalized marriage certificate when he goes to check. He had to have a new one issued regardless and he told the person he was married but they did not ask for any proof. His was to be ready in September too but no word yet. Yes I did mean casado, sorry for the typo.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Ladies don't be surprised if its not ready!!!

My husband went into the office to change his status and renew the card in April and it wasn't ready until late November.

The election got in the way and put a stop to production, then they lost his stuff because the girl in POP did not send a clear photocopy of the birth certificate and it was sitting on someones desk for months. It was a nightmare.

Hopefully your husbands won't have the same problems!!!!

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
New Info

Hi Girls,

I just got some new information that is necessary for my file (the police clearance certificates from Italy) but we have not passed even the first step yet (our application was received in Mississauga only Sept. 1st). I was wondering where kacy emailed her additonal documents?

I'll call the hotline, I'm guessing I have to wait for them to at least assign us a file number? I'm not sure if that info would be checked for the Quebec selection certificate or only once the application got to Haiti...

Thanks,
Tig

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
our application had been in process in Haiti since march 3 - and it was the end of August - so it was quite a while - but I agree - you should phone as the police clearance certificates are pretty imporatant so you should get some guidance as to how to get it there.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Sorry - to answer you - I emailed the info to Haiti - but as I said - our application had already been in progress there for quite some time

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
This is very encouraging advice.
I have changed most of my ID over to my married name. My new Canadian Passpoort will be here Oct. 21 (YAY!)
I added Delvy to my life insurance and RRSPs. I have documents to support these changes.
On the subject of cedulas, my husband also got his changed to say casado. He needed a 'Extracto de Acta' legalized and it cost 500$RD for the new cedula. He had this done Sept 24 and he was told it will be ready Nov 29.

I plan on going down for a visit in January. I am planning to bring all my latest proof (phone bills, emails, plane tickets and boarding passes, copy of new passport and stuff with my new name) adding it to his proof (cedula, emails, new record of employment) and send it all off to Haiti while I am there.
It will have been 5 months since our application arrived in Haiti, so based on the advice on here i think that it would be a good time.
Thanks again to everyone for their support and helpful advice.
Cheers!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I wouldn't wait until January to do all that! Send it as you get it!! It is only the beginning of October now - why wait??