Desperate for a divorce!!!!

heat4916

Sep 28, 2009
I have been married to a Dominican man for a little over two years now and I want a divorce. I have been to DR a few times but he has never been to the United States. We have absolutely nothing together....no property, bank accounts, credit cards, homes...nothing. We have never lived together. He has never given me any money...in fact it is the other way around. The only thing we have together is the marriage license when we married in Bonao. He really does not want a divorce but I do. How do I get out of this marriage? How long will it take? Will I have to go to DR? How much will it cost? Please!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Have someone tell him you've died.
Let him try to find out if it's true or not.
And try to stay off of Facebook, et. al.
if u do that stuff.

Sep 22, 2009
A divorce will cost you around 800 dollars. Well the bad news is he can contest it. You realize he is entitled to 50% of your assets. The US recognizes the marriage v?a reciprocity. If he is broke he wont have resources to get at your assets, but he never has to sign! If you can prove infidelity maybe you have a better chance. The divorce will cost you no matter how you slice it. Check statute of limitations on annulment as well.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Please contact and retain an attorney, I have already seen errors in the advice given above. I recommend the moderator of this forum, Mr. Guzman. He has not helped me with a divorce (knock on wood), but we have retained him 3 times for other matters and were satisfied with the service and the honesty of his firm.

I am not a lawyer or play one on TV, so I'll spare you my advice.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bonao Luck

He has never given me any money...in fact it is the other way around.

Unbelievable!!! :cheeky:

I think mutual consent is not necessary, but as far as I know you'd have to come here and declare in person through a lawyer.
Your assets acquired after the marriage could be claimed by him 50%.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Better Not

Have someone tell him you've died.
Let him try to find out if it's true or not.

He may just do that in order to claim his inheritance. :tired:
And on finding out that it's too soon for that he may get helpful ideas...

donP

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I have been married to a Dominican man for a little over two years now and I want a divorce. I have been to DR a few times but he has never been to the United States. We have absolutely nothing together....no property, bank accounts, credit cards, homes...nothing. We have never lived together. He has never given me any money...in fact it is the other way around. The only thing we have together is the marriage license when we married in Bonao. He really does not want a divorce but I do. How do I get out of this marriage? How long will it take? Will I have to go to DR? How much will it cost? Please!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

You let your heart rule your head, now you have to use your head. GET A LAWYER!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

Why don't you petition for a divorce in the US ?

Sep 22, 2009
Serving someone in a foreign country

By a courier. Allowed (at least under federal laws). Or you hire local alguacil.
Many times you can also do service of process by publication. I have seen one today in Diario Libre.

Can Dr. Guzman please shed some clarity on this process?? I didn't think DR is set up for this. Extrajudicial criminal matter perhaps, but civil?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe you shouldnt get divorced, that way you cant make another mistake on the spur of the moment

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
I was married to a wonderful person in the DR...many years after I got acustumed to the DR...the divorce was spurred by an US event...went to Gzuan's office in Sosua- chop chop,I spent 5 min over there, I was told $ 2K, half in advance half in delivery...all clear now!

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
divorce

If you PM me I can provide some useful information

singh1551

Oct 8, 2009
Desperate for Divorce/Annulment used for Green Card

Almost 3 years ago I was introduced to a dominican man by a co-worker her brother in-law. Since then I have traveled to DR 5 times. We were married in Jan. 2008. I went to DR in August for the interview, he has since then entered the country and received his green card. We are currently living separately, he has changed since entering the country, constantly arguing with me and I have grounds to believe that the mother of his 3 children has no idea that he was ever married and that he continued to live with her after our marriage. One of his family memebers even told me she overheard him saying that he told her (his ex-esposa) that "someone did his papers for him". Everyone including some of his family is telling me to send him back because I am a nice girl. My question is can I get an anullment? Does he have to agree to a divorce? I have spent thousands of dollars already do I have to keeping spending money on a phony marriage? Do I have to travel to DR? I feel so lost.

Sep 22, 2009
Almost 3 years ago I was introduced to a dominican man by a co-worker her brother in-law. Since then I have traveled to DR 5 times. We were married in Jan. 2008. I went to DR in August for the interview, he has since then entered the country and received his green card. We are currently living separately, he has changed since entering the country, constantly arguing with me and I have grounds to believe that the mother of his 3 children has no idea that he was ever married and that he continued to live with her after our marriage. One of his family memebers even told me she overheard him saying that he told her (his ex-esposa) that "someone did his papers for him". Everyone including some of his family is telling me to send him back because I am a nice girl. My question is can I get an anullment? Does he have to agree to a divorce? I have spent thousands of dollars already do I have to keeping spending money on a phony marriage? Do I have to travel to DR? I feel so lost.

My heart goes out to you. It "looks" to me that January 2008 "may" be within the statute of limitations for annulment. If you do not have a confiable attorney here already, I would just get a consultation from Dr. Guzman and Assoc. It would be worth its weight in gold.

My heart goes out to you. It "looks" to me that January 2008 "may" be within the statute of limitations for annulment. If you do not have a confiable attorney here already, I would just get a consultation from Dr. Guzman and Assoc. It would be worth its weight in gold.

The horse is already out of the barn,He is in the states, she is responsible for him and will have to do the paperwork in the states.

Sep 22, 2009
The horse is already out of the barn,He is in the states, she is responsible for him and will have to do the paperwork in the states.

Well, than isn't that a whole lot easier? Just out-lawyer him with a "voidable condition" annulment. If she can prove she was deceived or was on anti-depressants, etc.

The statue of limitations would begin when the "voidable condition" was brought forth.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Report the SOB to the ICE and let them do the work...

You will have to be very s ure you did not take any money from him to marry you and get that green card...

Sheesh!

They never learn....

HB