I know nothing...I just want a black one!!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Hello

Apart form the fact i want a Black jeepeta, I know nothing about cars etc..

Have been offered a 2007 Toyota Tundra, 4 door with 35km on the clock for 35,000 American Dollars.

Is that a good price???

Am not sure if i have been given the Gringa price or not?

Should i go to Santiago for a better deal and will the difference in price be worth the bother?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
You could get a smaller but brand NEW Toyota Hilux (4 door) pickup truck with a neat diesel engine which runs you about 27Mls/Gal and with a true 80T Km/3 year warranty at Delta in Santo Domingo or Santiago for the same price. And they do have them in black too.

Listado de Toyota en venta en la Rep?blica Dominicana - SuperCarros.com

Would indicate that the price quoted for a 2007 Tundra is on the lower end of the going ASKING prices.

... J-D.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Buy the Hilux..You dont have to worry about the history with the new one..If you Dont need the larger Tundra, the Hilux is a great truck..

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Buy the Hilux..You dont have to worry about the history with the new one..If you Dont need the larger Tundra, the Hilux is a great truck..

Yep, just widen the axle 3" total to get a better stance. I can show you how to do that. for under $200.oo yourself.
If you can afford to, get the 3 Liter version (SRV). Great engine! And I can almost still count the times I fueled up.
Available in "manual" or automatic.

Let me know if you have difficulties getting a good price for a new one.
... J-D.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You can get a new Isuzu pick-up for less than US$30k. They're available in black, and best of all, manual.

May 29, 2006
If you have the time you would prob do better importing from the US at that price. To give you an idea, here is a 2008 for $10,000 less:

Toyota : Tundra : eBay Motors (item 350338935667 end time Apr-19-10 15:06:46 PDT)

I don't know how the extras would compare but with leather interior it looks pretty high end.

I recently bought a car from Kansas and had it shipped to NY. I'm sure you can find a way to get what you want imported to the DR and save at least $5000. It would be a hassle, but it seems like it would be worth it for that kind of money. There are prob dealers in Miami or PR that can handle the export process.

Anyone know the limits on importing cars into the DR?

The eBay listing ships worldwide!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
If you have the time you would prob do better importing from the US at that price. To give you an idea, here is a 2008 for $10,000 less:

Toyota : Tundra : eBay Motors (item 350338935667 end time Apr-19-10 15:06:46 PDT)

I don't know how the extras would compare but with leather interior it looks pretty high end.

I recently bought a car from Kansas and had it shipped to NY. I'm sure you can find a way to get what you want imported to the DR and save at least $5000. It would be a hassle, but it seems like it would be worth it for that kind of money. There are prob dealers in Miami or PR that can handle the export process.

Anyone know the limits on importing cars into the DR?

The eBay listing ships worldwide!

You can about double that US price by the time it's in here and has legal DR tags on it. Check the many threads about importing vehicles to the DR.
Those who have touted going to make it big doing it... have vanished, even if they claimed to be licensed to buy at the big auctions.

... J-D.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Sorry yes i should have said truck not jeepeta....doh!

I like the Hilux very much actually, so that maybe a good alternative and like you say more economical to run.

I prefer to drive Manual, but cant get hold of this left hand drive craziness enough to feel confident, and feel i will be better off paying attetion to motor conchos flying past me on the inside that fighting with my gear stick ha ha.

Thanks for the advice and i will let you know what we (I the boss lady ha ha) decide to buy.

Thanks again

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
silver is the best you hardly ever need to clean it - and I dont

You're right jr. My husband sold a black Toyota 4-runner last summer, it was impossible to keep it looking clean and shiny and it was an oven in warm weather. He took my silver car and bought me a new Toyota Venza that's a chocolate brown. Every spot shows on the Venza, and my pretty silver car that he now drives always looks great. I swear that every car I buy from now on will be silver!!!!

AE

PS We bought the Venza planning to ship it to DR in a year or so - but now we're afraid to do that because we heard they don't sell them there, so maybe a parts & repair problem down the road, plus we void our warranty.....

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I wouldnt worry too much, Venza is an CUV based closely on the Camry and loosely on the Highlander(which they dont sell in DR). The motor and tranny issues are the same but I d be more worried about the system software if you needed a recall issue or upgrade. I dont think the local Toyota guy could address that.

Now if I may, I d like to recommend(in black) an American car, the Ford Explorer Sport Trac. They do sell that in Santo Domingo and it is in the same class as a Hi-Lux just not so trinkety(read:cheap). It can compete with a Tundra with respect to towing capacity and interior appointments and is a really reliable car.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Do NOT buy a manual car if you have a dominican partner. I have a Ford truck which always gets lent out. In the last 6 months we have had to have 3 new clutches. Currently having number 4 fitted. They change gear without depressing the clutch, or depress the clutch and keep their foot on it. One hand is for mobile phone constantly, the other for presidente or for playing with CD player. No hand to change gear.

LJ get an automatic.

From one who knows!!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Do NOT buy a manual car if you have a dominican partner. I have a Ford truck which always gets lent out. In the last 6 months we have had to have 3 new clutches. Currently having number 4 fitted. They change gear without depressing the clutch, or depress the clutch and keep their foot on it. One hand is for mobile phone constantly, the other for presidente or for playing with CD player. No hand to change gear.

LJ get an automatic.

From one who knows!!!!

Besides, if you are only about to not only get used to the traffic "situation" here (which takes a lot of sudden stopping and gear changes) but also to finally drive on the right side of the street ;)... at times at least, yes, an automatic will cut you some slack.

... J-D.