Living in the DR is cheap

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you're just a step away from mabi... ;)

seriously, there IS a price difference? after all it is the same company makes nearly all dominican beers apart from quisqeya (which happens to be the one i like the most)...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Living here in the DR is still a lot, lot cheaper than it would be in the States for us so that's all that matters to me.

I estimate my monthly expenses now with three girls in school to be around RD48,000. The tuitions, phone, internet, power and water run me RD21,000. Church 2400, beer same(good grief I need to work on that), gas 2000, dentist 5000, salon 500, cable 700 which would leave around 14k a month for food and supplies. We don't hardly eat out but the kids snacks, cereal and juice add up. BTW, I don't eat imported food but eat lots of rice, beans, plantain and ham sandwiches. Here is a newer picture of us with me sporting a smaller panza :) :

14jyc11.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
really. i imagined you as a 60 something, thin, grey hair and raisin face :)
i like the bald head. and the smallest girl is super cute.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i could make you moonshine at the price of a bag of sugar or a bag of grains. easy peasy. and not illegal here.
even cheaper: nick some sugar cane, squeeze the juice, add yeast, ferment until bubbles stop, boil the liquid in a kettle with a copper pipe firmly attached to the neck. alcohol comes out of the pipe. ready to drink.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Chip, what a lovely family you are so blessed life is good when you have a family around you housed, fed, clothed and happy. Everything else is just gravy!

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
I have had rough moonshine - the stuff covicts drink. Not for me I am afraid. Many homebrew beers equate to large scale commercial products - great after some German style sausage.

yapask1

i could make you moonshine at the price of a bag of sugar or a bag of grains. easy peasy. and not illegal here.
even cheaper: nick some sugar cane, squeeze the juice, add yeast, ferment until bubbles stop, boil the liquid in a kettle with a copper pipe firmly attached to the neck. alcohol comes out of the pipe. ready to drink.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

That what they drink in Costa Rica - cane moonshine- powerful stuff.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
I dont get where some think it is cheap to live here. Last night I went over our expenses for the last 6 months and it was anything but cheap. We own our place and own our cars but it is still not cheap. Food, gas, electric, all add up quickly.

In Canada where I live, rent for a two bedroom one bathroom apartment is around $800. Canadian a month, on top of that is electrics of about $225 a month on equal billing. Cable and internet and two cell phones run you $250. a month. Food is expensive here. 15 lbs potatoes is $9.00 whole Chicken is on sale right now at $5.25 a pound, boneless skinless breasts are $7.25 a lb on sale. Green Peppers $1.99 a pound and the red and yellow are $4.99 a pound. Rice is $7.50 for 4 pound box, milk is $6.30 a gallon soda pop is $2,50 for 2 liters. 750ml of water is $1.19 plus 10 cents deposit or no name water is $1.10 a gallon. Bread is $4.00 a loaf for good quality and $3.25 for cheap. bananas are 89 cents a lb oranges are small and tough and $8.00 a dozen, grapes are $3.99 a pound beef is $3.99 a pound for regular ground beef (fatty) can of tomato soup $1.19 chicken noodle is $129. i liter of peanut butter is on sale now for $4.80 this is in Canadian dollars which are running 40 RD to 1 Canadian dollar. Gas is $1.21 a liter so that works out to $4.60 for an american gallon! Then there is car insurance car payment home owners insurance or tenants insurance etc etc. I have a small mortgage on my home I own my Harley and have a new Subaru (financed) so all in it costs me $3,500 Canadian a month to live her or about $140,000 Dominican a month. I live good and I save a lot each month so I can travel to the DR for winter! iI my wife was not so attached to our son (29 yrs old) I would move there permanently. Oh well winters in heaven are better than our hellish winters.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They make and sell moonshine right across the street from our house in DR. Decent size bottle is 60 pesos. Never tried it myself, but the locals love it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
really. i imagined you as a 60 something, thin, grey hair and raisin face :)
i like the bald head. and the smallest girl is super cute.

I'm almost 50 so I'm not far away from 60 with wrinkles and pains growing by the minute. Getting old isn't for wimps. :)

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
In Canada where I live, rent for a two bedroom one bathroom apartment is around $800. Canadian a month, on top of that is electrics of about $225 a month on equal billing. Cable and internet and two cell phones run you $250. a month. Food is expensive here. 15 lbs potatoes is $9.00 whole Chicken is on sale right now at $5.25 a pound, boneless skinless breasts are $7.25 a lb on sale. Green Peppers $1.99 a pound and the red and yellow are $4.99 a pound. Rice is $7.50 for 4 pound box, milk is $6.30 a gallon soda pop is $2,50 for 2 liters. 750ml of water is $1.19 plus 10 cents deposit or no name water is $1.10 a gallon. Bread is $4.00 a loaf for good quality and $3.25 for cheap. bananas are 89 cents a lb oranges are small and tough and $8.00 a dozen, grapes are $3.99 a pound beef is $3.99 a pound for regular ground beef (fatty) can of tomato soup $1.19 chicken noodle is $129. i liter of peanut butter is on sale now for $4.80 this is in Canadian dollars which are running 40 RD to 1 Canadian dollar. Gas is $1.21 a liter so that works out to $4.60 for an american gallon! Then there is car insurance car payment home owners insurance or tenants insurance etc etc. I have a small mortgage on my home I own my Harley and have a new Subaru (financed) so all in it costs me $3,500 Canadian a month to live her or about $140,000 Dominican a month. I live good and I save a lot each month so I can travel to the DR for winter! iI my wife was not so attached to our son (29 yrs old) I would move there permanently. Oh well winters in heaven are better than our hellish winters.

Yes, it makes DR at about $500 a month per person living costs plus outright purchase of a condo or villa near the beach for 50,000 - 150,000 dollars with small investments in solar etc. very good value. Rice is about $2.00 for 4 lbs.

yapask1

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

you are the MOST remarkable woman.. Even make moonshine from a still?

You are AMAZING

i doff my cap to you