Dominican Terrorist Arrested at JFK

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
but they tend to have last names like Mohammed, Islamabad and Al-Qaida

Yeah...and McVeigh (Oklahoma City), Harris and Klebold (Columbine), Seung-hui Cho (VA Tech), Charles Whitman (U of Texas, Austin) and Andrew Kehoe (Bath School massacre, MI), John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo (Beltway Snipers). Oh yeah...let's not forget the Centennial Olympic Village bomber Eric Robert Rudolph.

It doesn't matter what their agenda. Some of these guys are religeous nuts like the ones that you mentioned, some have political agendas and some are just plain old whack jobs. The ones I mentioned come from different religeous backgrounds, different cultural backgrounds, different levels of education and are certainly from different races. Some are military veterans who once swore allegience to the Country they ultimately attacked.

Terrorism is terrorism. It didn't start in the US with guys named "Mohammed" and it won't end with them. These people are all common murderers IMO and I don't plan to let some guy name "Joe" or "Chad" or "LaMont" blow me up because I was looking for some guy named "Mohammed".

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
LOL, Al-Quaida is actively recruiting there too..

Animosity between blond hair-blue eyes people and dark-hair-brown eyes people is deeply rooted there.

Give them some time. Recruitment is ongoing as we speak :cheeky:

While I greatly admire your desire for race relations in the States to be better, minimizing the complex issues between blacks and whites in the US does nothing to change the problem.

In fact, the US could learn a lot from Dominicans in that regard.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
While I greatly admire your desire for race relations in the States to be better

Thanks, I wish they would be better all over the world :) Trust me...

minimizing the complex issues between blacks and whites in the US does nothing to change the problem.

Wrong Chip, I am not minimizing, I agree that is a mess, and, while the US has made some strides, they still have a long way to go. BUT, let me restate it, Race relations in the US has nothing to do with religious extremism and terrorism.

In fact, the US could learn a lot from Dominicans in that regard.

Different history, different outcomes/relations. It is a little bit like saying DR should learn from US/Canada or US/Mexico relations on how to get along with their neighbor, Haiti. Two different history, not really comparable.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Different history, different outcomes/relations. It is a little bit like saying DR should learn from US/Canada or US/Mexico relations on how to get along with their neighbor, Haiti. Two different history, not really comparable.

I dunno. I think he's onto something here. There's a whole lot more in common between the races than most people in the US are comfortable accepting. I really didn't have a clue how screwed up people were on the issue until I ventured out of NY and saw the interactions in other areas. Most of the problems people had with one another were the result of replacing exposure with stereotypes. Many with no exposure to the other have preconceived notions of what to expect from the other and they are almost always wrong.

When I started spending a lot of time working out of the US in a corporate capacity I couldn't believe how little race meant in most of the cultures I came across and how very few could understand what the problem was between Americans of different races.

I distinctly remember after presenting an hour long US race history dissertation to a (White) British colleague and his wife to explain racial alienation here they looked at one another, then turned to me and in unison remarked "that doesn't make any sense, everyone else sees you all as Americans" (I guess meaning that we're all equally: mostly monolingual, education underacheivers, ignorant of the World around us and arrogant). I have to agree. The more I travelled elsewhere in the World the less sense it makes to me as well.

Unfortunately too many Americans never travel abroad without military orders.

Here's an older discussion on the matter

How many Americans own passports? (Phil Gyford?s website)

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Alex Rodriguez is american
Mary joe fernandez is american
and now this guy, who never been in dominican rep. is Dominican
what a double moral

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Alex Rodriguez is american
Mary joe fernandez is american
and now this guy, who never been in dominican rep. is Dominican
what a double moral

Johnny, 'this guy' was born in DR and moved to the US as a boy and became a naturalized American.

From what I've read, he was influenced by his surroundings and converted to Islam at some point. My heart breaks for his parents, I can't even begin to imagine what they're going through, except for an extreme sense of helplessness.

AE

DaveJohnson

Sep 30, 2008
.... if I were the DR government I won't take him back as we don't have terrorist problems.

NOT YET. The goal of the Jihadists is to take over the world. So they are integrating themselves into Dominican society right now and immigration is allowing it to happen, and at the right time they will rise up because their goal is to either convert the "infidel" to Sharia law or kill him.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Johnny, 'this guy' was born in DR and moved to the US as a boy and became a naturalized American.

From what I've read, he was influenced by his surroundings and converted to Islam at some point. My heart breaks for his parents, I can't even begin to imagine what they're going through, except for an extreme sense of helplessness.

AE

What I mean, is When you are rich and famous, then, you are American, doesnt matter where you born.
when you are terrorist or poor, then , you are Dominican, even when you are an American citizen.

Reactions: Lucille
E

engineerfg

I agree.

However, blacks and others who feel marginilized by the "white man" are actively recruited by extremists:

Two New Jersey men arrested on terrorism charges | D.C. Now | Los Angeles Times

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Congressional Testimony

This link isn't from a terrorist group but nonetheless I think is informative and relevant to the discussiion:

Lost-Found Muslim Lesson No. 2

I finally get it! Your name on this forum is CHIP because you have a tremendous one of those on your shoulder!

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
NOT YET. The goal of the Jihadists is to take over the world. So they are integrating themselves into Dominican society right now and immigration is allowing it to happen, and at the right time they will rise up because their goal is to either convert the "infidel" to Sharia law or kill him.

That can happen in a country like the U.S or a European country, NOT in the DR. The DR doesn't believe in multiculturalism or other non-sense where you keep your on culture and language. The second and third generation will be as Dominican as a Mangu.

E

engineerfg

I don't blame you for thinking this is true. After all US media feeds you this fear mongering line over and over again, so naturally everyone will believe it's true. But it's not true.

This so called 'terrorism' problem may go away sooner if we actually listened and tried to understand their 'beef'. And yes, even tried to negotiate with them. I don't know anybody in history that's 'killed' a terrorist movement off, it's always been a negotiated settlement. Remember the IRA? remember Irgun? Remember Henri Christophe in Haiti next door? At the end of the day, you can't kill an idea, you can just kill the people and in doing so you make the idea stronger.

To suggest that 'they' want to take over the world is silly and trivializes the situation. I would in fact argue that it's 'us' that's taking over the world more than 'they' are. How else can you explain the reasons that "we' go over 'there' and install puppet governments that trample on democracy - so 'we' can secure free and clear access to 'their' natural or human resources.

The CIA has detailed the causes of this terrorism quite well. I'm sure CNN has summarized the concept of 'blow back'. Many Americans would be better served to get educated on the sources of this terrorism, or at the very least, listen to Republican Ron Paul's opinion on this subject matter as a coles notes of sorts! :)

Hi CHIP hope you had a nice week! :)

And FINALLY - this Dominican guy sort of proves the point doesn't he. There's no one such thing as 'Al Queda'. It's not an organization, it's a movement and an idea. You can play WHACK-A-TERRORIST-MOLE all you want, they'll just keep popping up, with different 'races' colors and genders. 'They' won't go away until 'we' address some of the sources of their anger and their blow back.

Many of the things 'we' do are untenable and morally indefensible. Many American so called leaders spew the same misinformed trivialization as CHIP has - that 'they' will try to exploit race relations etc just to take over the world.

But that's an academically dishonest approach, and misses the real causes of this type of terrorism. For example, I presume everyone here understands that 70% of Saudi Arabia is under 30 years old, unemployed, uneducated, and all because the leaders are corrupt, murderous, thieving, oppressive, and want to push everyone into a lulled state of religious obedience.

They don't want their people to be educated. They don't want a democracy. They don't want freedom for women. Because you know, then with that freedom comes democracy, voting, people demanding transparency on where all that oil money is going, and well... the end of a kingdom.

And what do our governments do? Take the side of democracy? Promote freedom? Nope, it's easier after all to deal with 1 royal family than to deal with democratically elected leaders who might change their minds and ask for a bigger cut.

And therein gentlemen, is the start of the 'source' of your terrorism. Not the desire to take over the world. The desire to punish uncle sam for sponsoring corrupt leaders to more easily steal natural resources and enslave an entire country.

I look forward to the howls of protest from CHIP. Should be fun.

Reactions: SKY

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Innocent until proven guilty

The current governor of NJ made a name for himself by prosecuting some poor sucker set up in a terrorist sting. Maybe Almonte is a loyal American doing undercover work! In any case, we're all speculating.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The question I ask is what exactly did these guys do to be arrested for terrorism?

They talked a lot about doing something, but I believe the US still has free
speech.

Next week I plan to go to Yankee stadium to join the Yankees, will they take me?
These guys are going to join Al-Quaida, they are not part of Al-Quaida.

The US has to keep its population in fear, otherwise it might be a bit harder
to keep taking liberties from its citizen's.

Reactions: Gabriela

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
The question I ask is what exactly did these guys do to be arrested for terrorism?

They talked a lot about doing something, but I believe the US still has free
speech.

Next week I plan to go to Yankee stadium to join the Yankees, will they take me?
These guys are going to join Al-Quaida, they are not part of Al-Quaida.

The US has to keep its population in fear, otherwise it might be a bit harder
to keep taking liberties from its citizen's.

Probably the dumbest post ever on DR1...It's called conspiracy SKY..

Reactions: Celt202