European flights not to Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

superfly_2000

Dec 12, 2007
European flight companies stopped flying to Puerto Plata (POP). At least the ones I checked like KLM, Lufthansa and a couple of others.

They have always been flying to POP I dont know why they stopped all of a sudden(?).

Now I have to fly with American companies and even though the price seems ok the route kind of sucks...as it is one more stop and sometimes up to 20 hours longer flight time than it should have been.

Well actually some companies fly to Santo Domingo and some place on the east coast but that is not where I want to go...

No more POP for us Europeans I guess :-(

swake

Oct 27, 2002
bollokz. Lots of flights to choose from, albeit charter for 75%
Thomson, Tui fly, JAF, Air berlin, Edelweiss, Arkefly ...
Out of LON, DUS, AMS, BRU, ZRH, MAD ... take yer pick.

Regular service out of the US mostly (AA, JB). KLM, Lufthansa .. never had service to POP. Not even Iberia

superfly_2000

Dec 12, 2007
I'm in Sweden.

Probably should have said that. Doesn't make it easier...

It is a good thing if the flights connect...I mean if the whole trip is sold by one place/air company.

Thanks for theese tips though...they kind of help a little...

superfly_2000

Dec 12, 2007
Air Berlin only goes to Punta Cana it seems...otherwise it was good :-(

Edit: Hmm..strange...no..actually it does go to POP...but it doesnt want to connect with another flight...thats stupid...probably should call them...

Anyway..thanks...

Please post more if you got them...

Last edited:

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Air Europa has a flight every tuesday from POP to MAD, and they have special rates now.. I just got a ticket for RD$14,000 (Same ticket cost RD$30449 in SDQ)

Also Jetairfly POP-Bruxelles 200 euros.

What day does Air Europa return from Madrid? How do you find flight availability on their website? I keep putting in dates Pop to Mad to Pop and can't get anywhere.

superfly_2000

Dec 12, 2007
No..Air Europa doesn't seem to go to Puerto Plata at all unfortunately.

Jetairfly goes there but only from Brussels and a go and return trip from there was like 650 euro november. Ok price but if I'm gonna fly in from Gothenburg (Sweden) I'll have to book that one totally separate.

Amalek

Jul 31, 2004
Thomson

Haven't you checked out Thomson? They are flying from several destinations in UK to POP. Tried them last time Instead of Arke, MartinAir and Condor which I flied with before. Great service and OK price. And from Sweden I guess there are enough connection flights to at least London and Manchester and maybe Glasgow?. I had to take a night stay over at Manchester but even then the price was OK, even with premium upgrade.
Thomson Flights
Another possibility from UK is Thomas Cook
From Holland Arke is still flying to POP but only if you book hotel also via Arke.nl.

Massielg

Apr 30, 2008
www.casasdevacacionesrd.blogspot.com
What day does Air Europa return from Madrid? How do you find flight availability on their website? I keep putting in dates Pop to Mad to Pop and can't get anywhere.

Every Tuesday. My daugther just took that flight last night.

Departure from POP at 8:40 pm every tuesday. Arrive at Barajas at 11:40am (spain time)

A friend of mine just came yesterday in that flight and she arrived at around 6 pm

superfly_2000

Dec 12, 2007
Kacuni,
Condor gave me a deal...but it was like 1000 euros for the flight (to and from for 1 person). That is just not cheap enough....I bet the flight from Frankfurt is like half that price or so....

EngineerFG,
thanks...that wiki is good but still...KLM that was good and cheap doesn't fly to POP anymore. Thomas cook that goes from Scandinavia does but they do not sell tickets themself but through the chartering companies...and they are very stupid...

Anyway...thank you both...please keep it flowing if you find something...even though it more feels like I'm going to Havana (Cuba) again...because it is easier unfortunately...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Worst case, you can fly to any of the main airports in the country and get a connecting flight here for $65/$95 Punta Cana - Santo Domingo, or $125/$145 Punta Cana - Pto Plata and so on, it isn't breaking the bank prices to get from one side of the country to the other in under an hour.

domrepman

May 15, 2010
Actually it appears that now Thomson and Thomas Cook are now pulling their flights from POP. I just tried to book with my travel agent in the UK and she informed me that they have now pulled their flights to POP.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
POP is now dead as tourist location.
Try other locations in
DR - Punta Cana, Samana etc.
Yanandu.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Actually it appears that now Thomson and Thomas Cook are now pulling their flights from POP. I just tried to book with my travel agent in the UK and she informed me that they have now pulled their flights to POP.

I was shocked to read this post.

I just found the following on-line at Thomson ? cheap summer and winter package holidays

2? Adults?1,355.04Taxes & charges ?280.96Total price:?1,636.00
Your Itinerary
London Gatwick to Dom. Rep., Puerto Plata for 14 nights

Outbound
Mon 15 Aug 11
10:30 14:40 TOM 038Inbound
Mon 29 Aug 11
17:00 06:35* TOM 039(*arrives Tue

J&T

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Flights into POP

Hi:

Time for a change of scene. Puerta Plata is a little out dated. You can fly from Europe to El Catey airport outside of Samana/Las Terrenas on the NorthEast coast, Samana Peninsula. From there it is a 45 minute taxi ride to Las Terrenas. Probably the nicest beaches in the whole country. There is also a large European population here, including over 2000 French, many Italians, Germans, Swiss... French, Italian and Spanish are widely spoken here. This is a great beach town with a large Dominican business district and many Dominican, French and Italian owned hotels and restaurants of all price ranges. Check out Hotel Colibri, Hotel Alesie, Hotel Villa Miraposa, Hotel Caribey, Residencial Don Cesar, just to name a few. You will be very happy you came to the Samana Peninsula. This is the real world not hidden by the big all-inclusives. Have a little adventure.

S

superfly_2000

Dec 12, 2007
POP will never be "dead" for me. I like it a lot and can not understand how it can "die out". Maybe the "all inclusive tourists" have abandoned it a little bit but I have seen other areas booming and hotels getting built. Samana is a much smaller place. I think DR and the POP area are just going to leave the all-inclusive era. At least it will be less, that is what I think.

The POP area is probably still the biggest tourist area in DR..even though it is getting competition from other areas.

It is a bit of an odd situation for the POP area I can agree...but probably it is for the good.

Now I noticed Lufthansa fly to POP as well....in cooperation with Condor.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
POP will never be "dead" for me. I like it a lot and can not understand how it can "die out". Maybe the "all inclusive tourists" have abandoned it a little bit but I have seen other areas booming and hotels getting built. Samana is a much smaller place. I think DR and the POP area are just going to leave the all-inclusive era. At least it will be less, that is what I think.

The POP area is probably still the biggest tourist area in DR..even though it is getting competition from other areas.

It is a bit of an odd situation for the POP area I can agree...but probably it is for the good.

Now I noticed Lufthansa fly to POP as well....in cooperation with Condor.

Unfortunately, the Punta Cana area now receives 5 times as many tourists at the POP area. About 5 years or so back it was only two times the amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.