Perceived social levels

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
please don't mix dom-yorks in with that group. the people you describe have integrated properly into the USA, and become american. they're on their way to living the american dream or what is left of it.

Well said Adrian!!!

I have a friend down here that if you would ask her if when she goes to new york does she visit Washington Heights. Her answer would be when I am in santo domingo, I don't visit Villa Mella. She goes to NY at least 2 a year.

Dom-York is the one with bling, hat on backward, pants around his ass, Oversize shorts and shirts. Not trilingual. lucky if he can be understood in either Spanish or English maybe Ebonics.

You can be offended all you want Racer, but if the shoe fits wear it. or as at OJ's trial if the glove don't fit you must acquit.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I don't need to be apart of a community. I am very sure of myself and my own abilities, why do I need to surround myself with other people just because our parents came from the same Island ? I like Miami because it is peaceful and quiet with enough action available close by to keep you occupied. Stating that you are Dominican in Miami is nothing to be ashamed of. In New York I would lie and say that I was Colombian or even Rican.

In any event, I hung out with foreigners in SD when I lived there and they were cool and seemed respectful of the Dominicans they were around. I never felt that they looked down up on us. Obviously they surrounded themselves with a decent class of people.

I can assure you that upper class Dominicans ( my family) look down at your typical Dominican York with more disdain than a Haitian. Have you ever visited a hotel when the Dominican Yorks are there ? Their behavior is barbaric. How can they live in the states so long and still act like tigueres from La Mina ? The people I am talking about come from New York not Miami.

What is most pathetic is that you as an American would identify with these people and view them as desirable.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Dont hate me because I am beautiful. I know you. I know your type. Self-effacing bourgeousie Miami Dominicans. All pomp and circumstance no substance. Panty-waists. To be true, you couldnt cut it in NY. You couldnt live in NY because you were unwilling to compromise nor share. You re a fraud from a family of frauds, so you sent yourself back to Pembroke Pines where your father runs a jewelry store in a strip mall and although he has money from that venture, he has procreated a brood of sniveling brats. You re a hater. And the worst type. You hate yourself. You are an Uncle Tom with a grandiose ego but weak identity. You associate your importance with what you have. Therefore Dominicans in NYers who dont have what you have then they must be flawed.

Identifying and mixing with blacks? Cant be that bad. There would be no music superstars if they hadnt. There would be no Fania All Stars if there were no Sound of Philadelphia. And as a side note notice how at least TSOP artists and label owners got paid while EVERYONE on FANIA got screwed out of their royalties and publishing. Perico? Merengue? Come on man, that music is dead. It died from a lack of creativity. Every record in 2010 sounds like a similar record from 1977. The biggest name in the business is Anthony Santos, lead for Aventura. Where did he come from? Where did his talent come from? He came from interpolating the R&B sound with bachata. Why is he so popular? Your sentiments would be that he corrupted the pure bachata sound. He "denigrated" it to be clear, right? Or as I d say he made it better, more open, willing to experiment and take the music in a new direction, generate new fans and better production. The Miami Sound? Never heard of it since Gwen McRae, KC & the Sunshine Band and Betty Wright.

So what is this vanglorious Miami culture you hold so dear? Is there a Dominican Institute at Miami Dade College like there is a City University of NY? Are there Museums that not only express ANY culture but a plethora of it in Miami? Do they have free concerts ANYWHERE in Miami? Do they have CONCERTS at all? Where are the public parks in Miami? And those universities that produce......? What do they produce?
So what is this Stupendous Floridian culture that you cling to that no one can find with even the minimum amount of effort? So apart from talking about the Dolphins all day, Miami is what?

Throwing garbage everywhere is something they learned in the Dominican Republic. I dont know where you been but in DR, there is garbage everywhere...and some of it is driving very expensive SUVs.

Your aversion to my statements tells us how "dominican" you really are. I bet you got a couple of the restavik girls in your house that you "Strom Thurmond out" dont you?

*I lived in Miami, I know its a sh1thole, and the people are braindead.

Having lived in Miami, Boynton Beach, and Hollywood, I totally agree with you.

Also, living in NY for over 40 years and visiting Puerto Rico (many Dominicans there as well) I have noticed that Dominicans are Dominicans. There are the good and the bad just like any group. I have nothing against them nor will I ever. Growing up as a teenager in the 80's, I have had many fights as a young man against the "ball busters". This was a Dominican gang who preyed on the "zulu nation". I also had many fights with Dominicans who were haters of Puerto Ricans because of the fact that PR can go as they please (visa related). Also, Dominicans were the first to introduce crack in my neighborhood and many fell in the trap including myself. After all this growing up, I still admire Dominicans because not all of them fell into these categories.
The majority of Dominicans worked hard for what they have now. Washington Heights is a large area where many of the businesses are Dominican owned. Many of my friends are well to do Dominicans who are ashamed of what some Dominicans were doing back in the 80's. To stereotype them all because of the errors of a few is not fair. Are there drugs in WH? Yes. Are there drugs in Little Havana in Miami? Yes. Are there drugs in Harlem? Yes. Are there drugs in El Barrio? Yes. Ares there drugs in Chinatown? Yes. Are there drugs in the suburbs of NY? Yes. You get the point.

My point is if you are going to say that you are going to stay away from one ethnic group because of what YOU think they are all about, then you should move to another planet.

I have not even made any references to Mexicans, White Power, Racist Southerners, etc.

These threads, while interesting, end up closing early because of those who have a "Hitler" mentality.

And to critique a specific group, on a specific website, shows lack of respect for all.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Dom-York is the one with bling, hat on backward, pants around his ass, Oversize shorts and shirts.

Hey, this is a NY thing NOT a Dominican thing and it is a YOUNG thing. Weren't you young at one time?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
so why are poor dominicans in the DR so nice and poor dominicans in NYC so complicated? would all the poor in the DR turn into Dom Yorks if they could live in NYC?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
so why are poor dominicans in the DR so nice and poor dominicans in NYC so complicated? would all the poor in the DR turn into Dom Yorks if they could live in NYC?

I do not know where you have been to Adrian, but when I visit friends in WH that live with their parents, the parents welcome me with open arms and a nice plate of food. Their behavior is just like when I visit DR.

Maybe NY changes people after time and makes them a bit more cold, but these changes are for all ethnic groups not just Dominicans. Yes, NYC is not an easy place to live but morals are hard to change if you were taught to have them at an early age.

When in NYC again, PM me. I will show you things you have never seen before.;)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
We were all young. Some of us didn't "follow the leader" . I never did.

I am pretty sure all of us in this discussion are a little older than 25.

Have you ever seen a so called Dom York wearing their hats backwards, with bling and the attitude to go with it who is older than, say, 30?

NY is going to pass a law pretty soon to make sure that pants are worn the correct way and not hanging by one's thighs. Again, this is a young person thing and not a Dominican thing.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006

Alright. Let's be clear. All poor dominicans in the DR aren't "nice" (I've actually had the opportunity to meet some, "not-so-nice" poor dominicans), just as all poor Dominicans in NYC aren't loud, flashy, and obnoxious.

Let me ask you a question. Do all poor people act the same in your home country? Because I can tell you that such is not the case in the DR or the USA. As Bronxboy stated, there are negative aspects in every poor community. And there are also positive examples in those same communities. Therefore, broadly painting every member of a community with the same brush is just silly.:cheeky:

Vince.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I graduated from Lehman College in the Bronx. 65% of my fellow alumni's were Dominicans. That shows something.:glasses:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Not to get off topic, but it seems that we are talking about Dominican men here.

All these men knocking WH, would not think twice about courting a Dominican women from WH.

What a crock of ****, you know what.

This is the way men view society. Back in the 60's, Italians hated Puerto Rican BUT loved the Puerto Rican woman. In the slave days, Southerners hated the blacks BUT loved the black woman.

It is funny how society views certain groups but isolates those views when women are involved. Go figure!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
RacerX must be some good drugs you are on today. You diss the culture and Dominicans in Miami because of someone dissing Dominicans in NY. Pot meet kettle. Good friends of ours moved from NYC to Orlando 2 years ago after 23 years in NYC. They prefer the weather in Orlando, the job market, the more relaxed attitude....etc. Theses Dominican Yorks are now confirmed Floridians and have no intention of returning to NYC. My wife has many relatives in the USA and none live in either NYC area or Miami. Boston, Northern Virginia, Atlanta, Houston, Denver....etc. Dominicans are everywhere and NYC may be the big Apple but there is plenty of rot in that apple.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Dominicans are everywhere and NYC may be the big Apple but there is plenty of rot in that apple.

Bob, you are a respected poster but I am a bit appalled at this comment.:ermm:

As I previously said, I lived in Florida for two years and did not like. I came back to where I felt most comfortable. Remember, NY is not just NYC.

I understand that this is your opinion but please respect where some of us call home.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Back to the topic. My wife has seen what she considered to be good friends move to Neuva York, Spain, Germany, and other countries from the DR. Once they get to the "promised land", they undergo a transformation. They become "better" people from a higher caste who no longer wish to associate with former friends still living in the DR. Has any one else noticed this behavior? It is DomYork-like, which is not a "good" thing.

Read Bob's post. An example of what you are talking about!!!

I have a feeling this thread is not going to last.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob, you are a respected poster but I am a bit appalled at this comment.:ermm:

As I previously said, I lived in Florida for two years and did not like. I came back to where I felt most comfortable. Remember, NY is not just NYC.

I understand that this is your opinion but please respect where some of us call home.

I didn't mean to offend you, but I personally found RacerX posting over the the top. As far as my statement it was in regards to NYC not NY state. Can you list the reasons I'm wrong? Every place, almost, has both redeeming and nonredeeming features. For me NYC is too big, too polluted, too violent, too rude, ....etc, but it is interesting, full of life, good shopping, shows....etc.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I need a clothes pin to hold my pants up....

Sounds like you are lumping the WHOLE segment of the poor "why are poor dominicans in the dr so nice".......BUT... some are, and some aren't.(nice)....not all would turn into Dom Yorks...(not a nice reference), but I'm sure some would, BUT there would be nothing wrong with that, as other posters have stated, this is a young thing, no big deal.....even though this demographic group will grow out of this "phase".....they're always gonna be replaced by a new group, so you better get used to it...:cheeky:

Reactions: Bronxboy

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
So, four pages in, it appears we've reached the startling conclusion that there are good and bad people in various groups and at various socio-economic levels. Every person thinks their group is "good," and others are more suspicious.

What was the point of this thread again, other than to establish that certain posters are racist and classist? (Yes, I took offense to rfp's dumb@ss comment about "associating with blacks" and "being viewed as worse than Haitians.")

Sounds like someone needs to take a second look at the family tree, and see how brown the roots really are. :tired::tired::tired:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
So, four pages in, it appears we've reached the startling conclusion that there are good and bad people in various groups and at various socio-economic levels. Every person thinks their group is "good," and others are more suspicious.

What was the point of this thread again, other than to establish that certain posters are racist and classist? (Yes, I took offense to rfp's dumb@ss comment about "associating with blacks" and "being viewed as worse than Haitians.")

Sounds like someone needs to take a second look at the family tree, and see how brown the roots really are. :tired::tired::tired:

I caught the old "spread it around" again so thanks out loud.

You saved me a rant.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Read Bob's post. An example of what you are talking about!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by windeguy

Back to the topic. My wife has seen what she considered to be good friends move to Neuva York, Spain, Germany, and other countries from the DR. Once they get to the "promised land", they undergo a transformation. They become "better" people from a higher caste who no longer wish to associate with former friends still living in the DR. Has any one else noticed this behavior? It is DomYork-like, which is not a "good" thing.

I have a feeling this thread is not going to last.

I'm not sure I see the connection between my post and windeguy's. I merely said the NYC is no the be all to every Dominicans, and that those that chose to live elsewhere are no higher or lower on the social skill. My wife aunt is a American educated Doctor, her cousin is the head of Shell oil got the UAE, both received their education in Texas. This doesn't make them higher on the social scale that Dom Yorks, nor is their education less.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I'm not sure I see the connection between my post and windeguy's. I merely said the NYC is no the be all to every Dominicans, and that those that chose to live elsewhere are no higher or lower on the social skill. My wife aunt is a American educated Doctor, her cousin is the head of Shell oil got the UAE, both received their education in Texas. This doesn't make them higher on the social scale that Dom Yorks, nor is their education less.

Windeguy was trying to figure out the "phenomenon" of why when people leave the DR for "higher pastures" they do not want anything to do with the DR. I was trying to compare that with why do people leaved NY and do not ever want to return. Windeguy compared leaving DR to other countries like Spain, etc. When you mention the couple who moved to Orlando and did not want to return to NY, it could be two things. One, that they do not want to return to the rat race with all the hustle and bustle that NY brings, as well as, never to return to the cold again. Then, two, there are those that do not want to return because they feel superior now that they left NY. That's all. I am pretty sure they do not want to return because of the reasons you stated (better quality of life, relaxed attitude, etc.)

Ever notice the women who are sponsored by her new husband or vise a versus. NY changes them in time no matter where they are from.

But at the end of the day:

YouTube - ‪La Banda Gorda - Estoy Aqui Pero Mi Mente Esta Alla BY Leoplaza Karaoke‬‎

It is a complicated issue. I lived in Florida and could not take the heat or the people. That was just me. I never, in the 2 years, thought that I was better than my fellow New Yorkers. I am glad I did not burn any bridges because like the above link says, "my mind was always in NY".