US Consulate Experience

PBJ27

Sep 17, 2008
I just returned from my appointment at the US Consulate to replace my lost Passport. It was one of the most degrading and horrific experiences that I have encountered in my many years of traveling. I was treated with no respect and as another US Citizen stated as we waited in lines over 2 hours...they have "treated us like animals". The most shameful issue was that NO ONE spoke English, so unless you spoke Spanish, you had NO idea, where to go, what line to go in etc. Fortunately, I was helped by a Spanish speaking US Citizen who was there for a renewal. (All signs were also ONLY in Spanish NO ENGLISH)

All announcements were made only in Spanish and sometimes there were two announcements at the same time, so even if you were Spanish speaking, you could not hear either message!!

(The only English speaking person was the LAST person who actually processed the Passport)

This experience took over 4 hours!!

I would suggest that a Consulate Official actually "go through this experience" in order to rectify what is a shameful situation for the US.

Please be aware that if you do not speak Spanish, please take an interpreter with you.

In the US everything is in Spanish and English, but our own US Consulate does not offer English speaking services in the DR. Shameful!!!

Reactions: SKY

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While the experience of going to the US Consulate is never what might be called "enjoyable", and often kind of frustrating, there are reasons behind all of the hassle: 9/11.

The world is not the same. 40 years ago I could walk into the Consulate and share a sandwich with one of the consuls. 30 years ago I could send a f?tbol team from our university with a letter and they would all get visas to play in Puerto Rico.

All that is different.

However, when I go there, I speak only English. In fact I insist upon it. Those kids all know English, it is one of their job requirements.

Understand, they face hour after hour of liars, cheats and fakes who are trying to get visas. They also face unruly people who have no idea of what a "line" is all about. It is not an easy task...

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
All due respect to HB, but you cannot forever holler 911 whenever it is convenient to degrade and treat US citizens like cattle. The US Consulate has been rude before 911, and now they are both rude and obnoxious.

I avoid this place like the plague.

Mar 2, 2008
Let's be clear on this. I believe the original poster was referring to the US consulate in SD. The US consular agent in POP is professional, friendly, and efficient. He and his assistant are always ready to assist, and they do so in both Spanish and English.

I have never heard any complaints about the consular service on the North Coast.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Let's be clear on this. I believe the original poster was referring to the US consulate in SD. The US consular agent in POP is professional, friendly, and efficient. He and his assistant are always ready to assist, and they do so in both Spanish and English.

I have never heard any complaints about the consular service on the North Coast.

None, because Ted is a class act. Not the same in SD though.

Mar 2, 2008
I agree 100%, SKY, although I've never used the consular services in SD, I have heard many horror stories about that place, and although I can understand the reasons for those behaviors, nothing excuses US citizens being insulted by their own consulate.

Perhaps this is another good reason for expats to choose Sosua as the place to be. :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
While the experience of going to the US Consulate is never what might be called "enjoyable", and often kind of frustrating, there are reasons behind all of the hassle: 9/11.

The world is not the same. 40 years ago I could walk into the Consulate and share a sandwich with one of the consuls. 30 years ago I could send a f?tbol team from our university with a letter and they would all get visas to play in Puerto Rico.

All that is different.

However, when I go there, I speak only English. In fact I insist upon it. Those kids all know English, it is one of their job requirements.

Understand, they face hour after hour of liars, cheats and fakes who are trying to get visas. They also face unruly people who have no idea of what a "line" is all about. It is not an easy task...

HB

I don't think there is any excuse that would be acceptable to an American citizen who is simply trying to renew the passport.

Rudeness is never right, but it is possible to understand why patience wears thin and tempers get short when the clients being serviced are trying to get a visa to the US. But when a US citizen goes there for help with a problem, renew a passport, or whatever, they have every right to be treate with courtesy and dispatch.

I am going to attempt to send this thread to the Department of State in the US.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Never having experienced this sort of situation, I am at a loss, really.

I never said it was a treat to go there, but with the numbers they deal with on a daily basis, I can't say there are no reasons for such behavior.

HB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
All due respect to HB, but you cannot forever holler 911 whenever it is convenient to degrade and treat US citizens like cattle. The US Consulate has been rude before 911, and now they are both rude and obnoxious.

I avoid this place like the plague.

Second this. i would rather have a tooth pulled without Novocaine. In the 15 or so years here, I have been in there once 13 years ago!!!:ermm:

Again this is in SD.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i agree with everyone who asserts that the consulate in SD is staffed by a bunch of troglodytes who should be out shining shoes, and working in a car wash. they have the manners of goats, are obnoxious beyond the imagination, and it mystifies that the US state department could permit such oafs to participate in the transaction of its affairs.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Responsibility

The OP apparently 'lost' a US passport.
Who's responsibility is that?
I know that happens, but that is a very important document and highly valued worldwide in black markets for various and a sundry of reasons.
If it takes 4 hours and some hassle to reassure that the US State Department verifies that you deserve a new one, then so be it. It's not a hot cup of coffee one spilled in the drive-through at McDonalds and you want a refill and a gift certificate on the spot.
It's a US passport, that people literally die for.

If you will check your bags and whatnot really closely, at least 3 times or more, it usually turns up, 9 to 1, favor of the finder.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
tflea, while we all acknowledge the grave duty to safeguard a document as sensitive as a passport, i fail to see the connect between a dereliction of duty and the right of some medieval at the consulate to be rude and boorish to you while you attempt to have this result of your carelessness resolved. if you smoked cigarettes all your life, and ended up in a hospital with some lung ailment, i scarcely believe that your failure to exercise sagacity is a reason for nurses to be rude to you.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
The U.S. Government passed the tipping point long ago. It is now in charge of nearly 50% of the economy and one way or another, employs more than 50% of the population (think 42 million on foodstamp as salaries, etc.).
That constitutes monolithic control or tyranny. Arrogance and incompetence follow like twins.

Mar 2, 2008
I think it's probable more productive to limit the discussion on this thread to the specific performance of the US consulate in the DR.

The larger global-political issues simply muddy the waters.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The U.S. Government passed the tipping point long ago. It is now in charge of nearly 50% of the economy and one way or another, employs more than 50% of the population (think 42 million on foodstamp as salaries, etc.).
That constitutes monolithic control or tyranny. Arrogance and incompetence follow like twins.

Taxes are at the lowest level in history and then you have delusional guys like this one making this kind of statement. Fox News has your head fixed huh..

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Regarding the OP I find it extremely unusual that US Citizens are being mistreated as if they were locals at the US consulate. That's not acceptable.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
old saying, JDJones.....cannot take the heat, get out of the kitchen. these primitives masquerading as service personnel in the US consulate have no business being in that type of work. they complain about the miseries to which they are subjected on a daily basis. well, standing on line for hours is also misery. if the job is so irksome, then consider optional employment. maybe some of those creatures camouflaged as security could leave and pursue their next best option..being an astronaut.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Welcome to the US overseas!!!!!!

And they have made so much money turning down visitor visas they are building a new site for their rudeness and disdain. You have to experience it to believe it. They gotcha - once you leave the US you have few rights and they hold all the cards. Wahtcha gonna do about it??? They know you are virtually helpless and take full advantage. Its a disgusting situation and its not changing anytime soon. Avoid them if at all possible.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I thought most of the employees at the SD consulate were bilingual. Most did speak english. I spoke both in spanish and in english but i noticed the people who were speaking spanish with me, also spoke good english.
AZB