What will change in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
This is spot on Berzin, I have mentioned it before, so as a few others here. It's just so obvious.

The new mayor is under their thumb like a puppet, they use a woman as a front so to say we are cleaning up and helping chicas blah, blah.... Give me a break...

I can imagine the police and bar owners are rubbing their hands on the prospect of the extortion and barfine/salida money, they can hardly contain themselves.

Just check the news release "...all women alone in the street are arrested except if they can prove they <B>work</B> in the area..." - i.e. as barmaid/waitress I guess !? They have no shame, they don't even hide their intentions...

This is a tested and proven model all over the world unfortunately, you figure who the losers and winners are going to be.... :pirate:

BINGO!!! Berzin and Uzin..You guys have summed it up perfectly after 28 pages of blah, blah, blah..

These so called leaders are salivating over the $$$$ from the chicas salida fee..I have been told that the Sosua MOB :pirate:[the mayor and her band of thieves] want to make each club have a certain number of girls working in each establishment..Sort of like the system that they have in places like Aruba...That is some serious cash...

We all have different therorys and wild guesses about this situation in Sosua..Some are good, some are not..But we can all agree that the bottem line of all this , is $$$$, in what way? we will find out very soon..:ermm:

Mar 2, 2008
I agree with rsg, Berzin, and Uzin. It somehow all comes down to money in someone's pocket, and has little or nothing to do with actually "cleaning up" Sosua, which never really much of a cleaning up anyway, outside of a little tweaking.

I somehow think the new mayor has a valid vision, but I fear she got taken in by the few bad apples who have gotten close to her.

I'll let the intelligent folks of DR1 decide just who those bad apples are. The specific individuals don't really matter that much, as there are more than enough ladrones hanging around in DR politics, and Sosua has more than its share.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
BINGO!!! Berzin and Uzin..You guys have summed it up perfectly after 28 pages of blah, blah, blah..

These so called leaders are salivating over the $$$$ from the chicas salida fee..I have been told that the Sosua MOB :pirate:[the mayor and her band of thieves] want to make each club have a certain number of girls working in each establishment..:

I can't accept that theory. While yes, some bars will try to make lemonade out of lemons, I can't believe that the mayor and others are "salivatating" over salidas. It doesn't fit the plan.

The chicas would still have to get to the bars, they would still have to walk out with their new boyfriends, they would still be cracking each other over the head with Presidente bottles, and their chulos would still need to be hanging around.

The plan is to change the rep of Sosua and have far less chicas working on PC and the beach - the above theory doesn't play into that.

Yes, grabbing some salidas may happen, but it ain't the plan.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with rsg, Berzin, and Uzin. It somehow all comes down to money in someone's pocket, and has little or nothing to do with actually "cleaning up" Sosua, which never really much of a cleaning up anyway, outside of a little tweaking.

I somehow think the new mayor has a valid vision, but I fear she got taken in by the few bad apples who have gotten close to her.

I'll let the intelligent folks of DR1 decide just who those bad apples are. The specific individuals don't really matter that much, as there are more than enough ladrones hanging around in DR politics, and Sosua has more than its share.

It would appear that so far the only bar that hookers would be allowed in is Sosua Life. It's the only one with tinted glass as of now. A woman alone will be permitted in any bar as long as she has a drink and doesn't proposition other patrons. The girls will get picked up if they hang around on the streets. We'll see what happens.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It would appear that so far the only bar that hookers would be allowed in is Sosua Life. It's the only one with tinted glass as of now. A woman alone will be permitted in any bar as long as she has a drink and doesn't proposiotion other patrons. The girls will get picked up if they hang around on the streets. We'll see what happens.

What a coinkidink, doesn't the Deputy Mayor own Sosua life?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

These so called leaders are salivating over the $$$$ from the chicas salida fee..I have been told that the Sosua MOB :pirate:[the mayor and her band of thieves] want to make each club have a certain number of girls working in each establishment..Sort of like the system that they have in places like Aruba...That is some serious cash...

We all have different therorys and wild guesses about this situation in Sosua..Some are good, some are not..But we can all agree that the bottem line of all this , is $$$$, in what way? we will find out very soon..:ermm:

Yes. They are exactly correct. It's all about "business"-men trying to make money off the World's oldest profession as legal pimps with political protection. This is the new paradigm for Boca Chica as well and the Women to be found walking the streets there are generally undesireable as brothel employees for one reason or another. Between the brothels and the AI's which cater to the "sex-tourist" (ie Viking, etc) these fat cat owners are planning to control the sex industry and you can bet that the Women who are putting out all the work to empower this cash machine will get the short end of the stick (pun intended) as these guys and their political pals grow rich off them.

Funny you should mention Aruba. Paid sex is legal only in the government licensed and inspected "girlie bars" of St. Nicolaas which is at the funky end of the island right next to the Valero refinery. All of the girls there are Colombian imports on 90 day "fake waitress" visas and see on average 5-15 clients a day, every day but Sunday. A good one will make $25K-$35K (US) in three months and return to their lives back home free of whatever immediate debt or impossible situation with a pocket full of short term solutions. In the D.R. the talent at the casas is Dominican. No one controls their travel documents (and thus their movement) like in the N.A. and thus they are able to come and go as they please. Girls who aren't dormitoried at the casas are free to wheel and deal on their own and the goal of most is to develop a clientelle independently from the casas and split their money with nobody. There is also the great "Gringo Lotto" to look forward to so these casa owners have found that in order to be successful at their endeavor to herd cats (another pun intended) they need to dormitory a certain number of girls, whom they recruit from outside the local area. Look at Sto. Dgo. for example where a majority of the girls who work at the "tourist area" casas are recruited from the campos, dormitoried on site and released only when salida fee payment is recorded. They are even fined if they don't return on time. They get paid on regular paydays and have a (biweekly) quota to fill in order to be retained from month to month. A couple of very successful Cubans currently own the most profitable tourist casas in the Capital using this (the Aruba/St. Maarten/ Curacao) formula and now it's selling like Pum-Pum (hot cakes didn't seem appropriate here).

The rest of the clubs and girls in the City work exactly like they always did but very few of those are known to tourists. This fact leads me to believe that the new paradigm is only for implementation in "tourist sex zones" and that the rest of the country has no plans to change.

The "Wall" isn't to shield the tourists from seeing what happens in the "zone". It's to keep them from polluting the surrounding environment while they're in town with all that loose cash they bring. It will be collected by professionals who understand how the trickle down theory is supposed to be implemented, not a bunch of amateur hookers. :pirate:

Reactions: catcherintherye

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
The "Wall" isn't to shield the tourists from seeing what happens in the "zone". It's to keep them from polluting the surrounding environment while they're in town with all that loose cash they bring. It will be collected by professionals who understand how the trickle down theory is supposed to be implemented, not a bunch of amateur hookers. :pirate:

I have to agree 100 percent. I don't know what's the real reason for the new laws, but I do know when new laws are created and money is involved, it's never to benefit the poor.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Boca Chica does not have much in the way of Cat-Houses.
There is the very plain one opposite Hotel El Candil and the nasty Playboy Bar (with a dancing pole) on the main road going up to the highway - you wipe your feet on the way out of that one, by the way.

But there is no Passions type place.
There are no big bars full of hookers - the Piano Bar has girls and the Discotheque across the road has girls. The rest you will find just milling around the main strip.
There are no big-businesses taking advantage of the hookers.
All girls are freelance, wander the street with impunity, occasionally getting harassed for cash by the police.

Or so they tell me ;)

In fact come on Peter - franchise out a new Passions in Boca Chica....

Last edited:

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Yes. They are exactly correct. It's all about "business"-men trying to make money off the World's oldest profession as legal pimps with political protection. This is the new paradigm for Boca Chica as well and the Women to be found walking the streets there are generally undesireable as brothel employees for one reason or another. Between the brothels and the AI's which cater to the "sex-tourist" (ie Viking, etc) these fat cat owners are planning to control the sex industry and you can bet that the Women who are putting out all the work to empower this cash machine will get the short end of the stick (pun intended) as these guys and their political pals grow rich off them.

Funny you should mention Aruba. Paid sex is legal only in the government licensed and inspected "girlie bars" of St. Nicolaas which is at the funky end of the island right next to the Valero refinery. All of the girls there are Colombian imports on 90 day "fake waitress" visas and see on average 5-15 clients a day, every day but Sunday. A good one will make $25K-$35K (US) in three months and return to their lives back home free of whatever immediate debt or impossible situation with a pocket full of short term solutions. In the D.R. the talent at the casas is Dominican. No one controls their travel documents (and thus their movement) like in the N.A. and thus they are able to come and go as they please. Girls who aren't dormitoried at the casas are free to wheel and deal on their own and the goal of most is to develop a clientelle independently from the casas and split their money with nobody. There is also the great "Gringo Lotto" to look forward to so these casa owners have found that in order to be successful at their endeavor to herd cats (another pun intended) they need to dormitory a certain number of girls, whom they recruit from outside the local area. Look at Sto. Dgo. for example where a majority of the girls who work at the "tourist area" casas are recruited from the campos, dormitoried on site and released only when salida fee payment is recorded. They are even fined if they don't return on time. They get paid on regular paydays and have a (biweekly) quota to fill in order to be retained from month to month. A couple of very successful Cubans currently own the most profitable tourist casas in the Capital using this (the Aruba/St. Maarten/ Curacao) formula and now it's selling like Pum-Pum (hot cakes didn't seem appropriate here).

The rest of the clubs and girls in the City work exactly like they always did but very few of those are known to tourists. This fact leads me to believe that the new paradigm is only for implementation in "tourist sex zones" and that the rest of the country has no plans to change.

Agreed. And this is precisely the same model used in Asia (Thailand, Philippines, and others) ... "or so I've heard". :chinese:

If you can speak the local language, and get away from the "tourist" places in any of these areas (as long as it's a safe area), you are not affected. :pirate:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
So the "Grand Plan" is for Sosua to become the "Thailand of the Americas"?
Are you guys serious?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
When was the last time you walked the streets of Sosua alone at 3am?

Seems to me most "ignorance" is borne from lack of experience...

The experience comes from traveling the world around during more then 30 years, visiting a lot of countries and cities, big ones, smaller ones and not from an AI formula but from a back pack perspective which allows one to visit some places you never see as a "big tour operator" visitor.
The ignorance comes from people saying they have visit A town in A different country then their home country during xxx years but not having visit that town the last couple of years and thats about all they have visited "around" the world which qualifies in my eyes not as a world traveler.

In fact neither of the two of us have enough "experience" to have an opinion on Sosua for that matter but hey, if you want to spread one, please go ahead, I have no problem with that what so ever.

Just my two euro cents.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The experience comes from traveling the world around during more then 30 years, visiting a lot of countries and cities, big ones, smaller ones and not from an AI formula but from a back pack perspective which allows one to visit some places you never see as a "big tour operator" visitor.
The ignorance comes from people saying they have visit A town in A different country then their home country during xxx years but not having visit that town the last couple of years and thats about all they have visited "around" the world which qualifies in my eyes not as a world traveler.

In fact neither of the two of us have enough "experience" to have an opinion on Sosua for that matter but hey, if you want to spread one, please go ahead, I have no problem with that what so ever.

Just my two euro cents.
OK.

So you have no Sosua experience to make any sort of authoritative statement. I have 23 years experience, once/twice+ a year to Sosua, until locating to Jarabacoa.

But we're even.

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
So the "Grand Plan" is for Sosua to become the "Thailand of the Americas"?
Are you guys serious?

Not saying that ... it's still much too early to tell. And I certainly hope not (I don't care much for what's happened to Bangkok.) But we will know shortly where this goes. I do see some similarities, however ........ :pirate:

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
IMO, They want to develop a market for half-mil usd condos, 250 usd a night hotel rooms and $50 usd meals. One could argue if that's do-able or not, but...

This might also be the plan. But, we will soon know ..... (unless YOU already know???).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Here's a thought: maybe they're tired of their reputation and are willing to suffer the short-term economic loss for a potential long-term economic gain.

Seems a little less conspiratorial to me.

You know, the NYC model: didn't Times Square have a renaissance when they "shut the smut?"

Besides, hasn't much of the Old Crowd headed further south and (Far) East and the area isn't as big a sex tourist destination as it once was back in The Day (from what scuttlebutt I hear)?

If families don't come to Sosua and sex tourists stop coming to Sosua, where is the tourist $$$ going to come from?

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Here's a thought: maybe they're tired of their reputation and are willing to suffer the short-term economic loss for a potential long-term economic gain.

Seems a little less conspiratorial to me.

You know, the NYC model: didn't Times Square have a renaissance when they "shut the smut?"

Besides, hasn't much of the Old Crowd headed further south and (Far) East and the area isn't as big a sex tourist destination as it once was back in The Day (from what scuttlebutt I hear)?

If families don't come to Sosua and sex tourists stop coming to Sosua, where is the tourist $$$ going to come from?

What you're saying could make perfect sense if one is considering the impact/potential of open travel to Cuba (by US citizens) on the horizon. It WOULD be a way of staying competitive without the current trade. (Cuba? --- sex tourism? --- I can't believe I'm saying that!!! ;)) But I guess those of us who are "not in the know" will just have to wait and see. ;););)

Nic43

Dec 11, 2009
There's a thought. Maybe it is what it seems. An initiative to clean up the streets of Sosua. Not everythng needs to be a conspiracy or an attack on your human rights. Self regulation ain't working too well so the locals want to see something done.

IMHO many ofthe guys who come here do need to tone it down a bit. Not being puritanical, just think they could get what they want without all the drama that seems to accrue. Come here, check in , drink, get laid, go home. Whats wrong with Passions or the like, the whole island is filled with such places and they all do takeout, No need to troll the streets trying to get a girl for the price of a hamburger and getting in everyones face. Enjoy yourselves, but just get on with it. Why the need to drag the whole thing further downmarket by behaving like drunken schoolkids in the street.

What the h*ll has it got to do with the beach? Beach is packed every weekend with families from SD, Santiago and elswhere. It's thriving and wholley unconnected with the trade in Pedro Clisante as far as I can see.

Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Whats wrong with Passions or the like, the whole island is filled with such places and they all do takeout, No need to troll the streets trying to get a girl for the price of a hamburger and getting in everyones face. Enjoy yourselves, but just get on with it. Why the need to drag the whole thing further downmarket by behaving like drunken schoolkids in the street.

I have no interest in hanging in places such as Passions. I hate giving my money to middlemen (pimps). The main draw for me to Sosua, is the feel of hanging in open air bars, having a few drinks and meet some nice girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.