Are Dominicans fatter than the past

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
just as an aside, the latest stats show Dominican women to rank no#14 in the world in obesity. not good. when you boast more fat people than the USA, that cannot be good.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
After training kids from 3:30-8:00 p.m., I conduct a one hour fitness class for adults in a fully equipped gymnastics facility. Most attendees have cancelled their 24hour Fitness memberships, Curves etc. after comparing the results/benefits of 2 hours per week with me with their old training regimen. It's a no frills, no whining, no hand-holding, grueling but fun experience that I've had to expand to 3 days due to the demand. I've not yet attracted the "beautiful people" nor do I want to.;)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Definition of Malnutrition:

This subject came up in another thread and it was addressed incorrectly with a Merriam Webster dictionary quote basically stating that malnutrition is equivalent to undernutrition. This is only half the story but then Merriam Webster isn't a medical dictionary. It's important to understand that there are very many overfed people who are undernourished. At the core of this problem is lack of dietary variety. This is where training in proper nutrition is important. Rice and beans and plantain and chicken is okay but it will kill you slowly if you eat it every day. Rotating a half dozen different fruits and vegetables daily out of a base of 50 or 60 available will make a major difference in nutritional balance as well as helping to keep fit. Starches should be rotated as well. Proper dietary balance increases energy level which increases work output capability which decreases storage of body fat and improves muscle tone.

Malnutrition is the condition that develops when the body does not get the right amount of the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients it needs to maintain healthy tissues and organ function.

Description:

Undernutrition
Malnutrition occurs in people who are either undernourished or overnourished. Undernutrition is a consequence of consuming too few essential nutrients or using or excreting them more rapidly than they can be replaced.
Infants, young children, and teenagers need additional nutrients. So do women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Nutrient loss can be accelerated by diarrhea, excessive sweating, heavy bleeding (hemorrhage), or kidney failure. Nutrient intake can be restricted by age-related illnesses and conditions, excessive dieting, food allergies, severe injury, serious illness, a lengthy hospitalization, or substance abuse.
The leading cause of death in children in developing countries is protein-energy malnutrition. This type of malnutrition is the result of inadequate intake of calories from proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Children who are already undernourished can suffer from protein-energy malnutrition (PEM) when rapid growth, infection, or disease increases the need for protein and essential minerals. These essential minerals are known as micronutrients or trace elements.
Two types of protein-energy malnutrition have been described?kwashiorkor and marasmus. Kwashiorkor occurs with fair or adequate calorie intake but inadequate protein intake, while marasmus occurs when the diet is inadequate in both calories and protein.
About 1% of children in the United States suffer from chronic malnutrition, in comparison to 50% of children in southeast Asia. About two-thirds of all the malnourished children in the world are in Asia, with another one-fourth in Africa.

Overnutrition
In the United States (and applicable to the Dominican Republic), nutritional deficiencies have generally been replaced by dietary imbalances or excesses associated with many of the leading causes of death and disability. Overnutrition results from eating too much, eating too many of the wrong things, not exercising enough, or taking too many vitamins or other dietary replacements.
Risk of overnutrition is also increased by being more than 20% overweight, consuming a diet high in fat and salt, and taking high doses of:
Nicotinic acid (niacin) to lower elevated cholesterol levels
Vitamin B6 to relieve premenstrual syndrome
Vitamin A to clear up skin problems
Iron or other trace minerals not prescribed by a doctor.
Nutritional disorders can affect any system in the body and the senses of sight, taste, and smell. They may also produce anxiety, changes in mood, and other psychiatric symptoms. Malnutrition begins with changes in nutrient levels in blood and tissues. Alterations in enzyme levels, tissue abnormalities, and organ malfunction may be followed by illness and death.

Malnutrition

Reactions: Africaida

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I thought the fuller figure was in ...in the Dominican Republic, i thought people werent that keen on the jamie lee curtis look

Reactions: Bronxboy

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
just as an aside, the latest stats show Dominican women to rank no#14 in the world in obesity. not good. when you boast more fat people than the USA, that cannot be good.

Stats from where ? Dominican women fatter than US women :paranoid: ?
Not that I do a fat count when I come down, but I don't see that many Dominican women obese. Some are curvaceous yes, but far from obese.

I even noticed that there were a lot less overweight people in the DR, than neighboring Puerto Rico.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
on a side note - im quite thin and havent noticed people falling over themselves to get to me

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
on a side note - im quite thin and havent noticed people falling over themselves to get to me

On a side note, I am quite curvaceous, and I have noticed men falling over themselves to get to me. Just kidding !;)

You are too funny jr !

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
There is no doubt. Dominicans are definitely fatter than years ago.

I credit that to greater fast food option - McDonalds etc.

It was rare to see a young woman 17- 30 with a belly. Now - a little belly is the rule rather than the exception. Nothing like the US but more than in the past.

The men are bigger too. I see some pretty young yguys walking around with giant guts.

Dominicana showing how she gets her nutrition:

greydread-albums-mogreypix-picture454-barbie.jpg

This is not photoshopped. It was taken directly from a cell phone camera. Note the disproportional lack of excessive belly fat. I guess that's what makes it a "sports drink".

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Dominicana showing how she gets her nutrition:

greydread-albums-mogreypix-picture454-barbie.jpg

This is not photoshopped. It was taken directly from a cell phone camera. Note the disproportional lack of excessive belly fat. I guess that's what makes it a "sports drink".

Am I the only idiot who just spent at least 5 minutes furiously clicking on this pic in an attempt to enlarge it?:eek:

Vince.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

You might have a booty deficiency? Booty sells.

I thought the fuller figure was in ...in the Dominican Republic, i thought people werent that keen on the jamie lee curtis look

I havent seen Jamie Lee Curtis since True Lies, But the general idea is to be round in the rear not in the stomach. Some of these people overdo it and wind up like pregnant Santa Clauses or just big giant knock-kneed garden gnomes. Not good.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
By "modern" medicine standards it may be that Dominicans don't eat enough meat or variety but then again these "experts" change their minds every so many years whose to take them seriously?

After all, my wife, like many Americans, followed the supposed "idea" nutritional guidelines during my wife's pregnancy and our children were deemed possibly too big for the birth canal and thus my wife had to have c sections. I think this is more and more becoming the case too.

Furthermore, I hear all these people knocking the Dominican diet and yet my parents in law are in their late 60's and early 70's and are in pretty good shape compared to the lack of medicine they take. My wife says growing up they typically ate meat any where from once a week or more but rarely every day. Rice, beans, eggs, spaghetti, platano and yucca are what they ate and in fact I can tell most of the women in my wife's family are in better physical shape than my own extended family in the States. I have been currently cutting back on my meat intake to twice a day and in fact for all 5 of us a pound of meat is more than we can eat at lunchtime.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
By "modern" medicine standards it may be that Dominicans don't eat enough meat or variety but then again these "experts" change their minds every so many years whose to take them seriously?

After all, my wife, like many Americans, followed the supposed "idea" nutritional guidelines during my wife's pregnancy and our children were deemed possibly too big for the birth canal and thus my wife had to have c sections. I think this is more and more becoming the case too.

Furthermore, I hear all these people knocking the Dominican diet and yet my parents in law are in their late 60's and early 70's and are in pretty good shape compared to the lack of medicine they take. My wife says growing up they typically ate meat any where from once a week or more but rarely every day. Rice, beans, eggs, spaghetti, platano and yucca are what they ate and in fact I can tell most of the women in my wife's family are in better physical shape than my own extended family in the States. I have been currently cutting back on my meat intake to twice a day and in fact for all 5 of us a pound of meat is more than we can eat at lunchtime.

Chip, the problem in the states is the weather as during the winter you don't sweat.

JJ

Reactions: SantiagoDR

colombianLisa

Jan 13, 2011
There's a McDonalds in Santiago and its always busy

I dont know if the people are rich or not but they there all the time - mostly females too.

Why would anybody eat MCD's when you can get a perfectly good sancocho or bandera?

colombianLisa

Jan 13, 2011
Chip, the problem in the states is the weather as during the winter you don't sweat.

JJ

Actually, albeit your metabolism slows down in winter, you actually burn more calories when you perform outdoor activities in the cold. The problem with winter is the low vitamin D levels, which can cause weight gain and lethargy.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Why would anybody eat MCD's when you can get a perfectly good sancocho or bandera?

Because it means you've arrived when everybody sees you eating a little cheeseburger and fries. :)

BTW, now that they've made it they can no longer drink rum, only wiki :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Actually, albeit your metabolism slows down in winter, you actually burn more calories when you perform outdoor activities in the cold. The problem with winter is the low vitamin D levels, which can cause weight gain and lethargy.

Partially true, we also, the majority of us northern people, do not get as much physical activity in the Winter. I have, for as long as I can remember, always put on hibernation fat in the winter. This was true even when I was playing Hockey, Broom-ball, cross-country skiing...etc. Vitamin D - 2000 mg per day for me.

colombianLisa

Jan 13, 2011
Because it means you've arrived when everybody sees you eating a little cheeseburger and fries. :)

BTW, now that they've made it they can no longer drink rum, only wiki :)

Yeah, I'll never get this latin american thing about "meldanos" being a status symbol.