Dominican Foods

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Obviously the people here who don?t appreciate turnips have never tasted Haggis !!!!! Poor things.

sdq

Sep 23, 2016
La bandera dominicana

Great thread.

I'd like to know what is everyone's favorite dish?

Mine would probably have to be rice and beans and pollack or roasted eggplant, fried green plantains and a green salad. Not only delicious but healthy too.

My favorite dish is la bandera dominicana chicken, rice and beans!

lilyallen

Dec 15, 2016
Yuca, or Brazilian arrowroot in English. It is usually boiled as a side dish, fried as finger food, mashed as side dish, in soups and stews, in casseroles, and several other dishes.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I, myself, am devoted to what Dominicans call Russian salad: the potato, carrot, onion, beet thingy with an egg vinaigrette.

Sort of bland on its own (like most Dominican food), but as a side dish to chicken (or pork, which I don't eat), etc., pretty to look at and fits the carb place nicely.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I, myself, am devoted to what Dominicans call Russian salad: the potato, carrot, onion, beet thingy with an egg vinaigrette.

i also love potato salad, in every version. i learnt a neat trick from a campesina in sabaneta: chop the onion first, add salt and vinegar and let stand for an hour or so, when you prepare the rest of the ingredients. when ready, tossed them into the bowl with that onion and vinegar. adds nice flavour.

in poland, we add to it finely chopped boiled carrot and parsnip plus pickled cucumbers.

ps i love haggis.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
i also love potato salad, in every version. i learnt a neat trick from a campesina in sabaneta: chop the onion first, add salt and vinegar and let stand for an hour or so, when you prepare the rest of the ingredients. when ready, tossed them into the bowl with that onion and vinegar. adds nice flavour.

in poland, we add to it finely chopped boiled carrot and parsnip plus pickled cucumbers.

ps i love haggis.

Si. But tell me a place to find parsnips. And tell Mod Matilda, too.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ensalada rusa is just bland. Now, potato salad with spring onions, fresh flat leaf parsley and lots of freshly ground black pepper (boiled egg optional) - yes.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Cepa de apio (celery root), grown around Jarabacoa and Constanza is a decent substitute for parsnip.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Ensalada rusa is just bland. Now, potato salad with spring onions, fresh flat leaf parsley and lots of freshly ground black pepper (boiled egg optional) - yes.

normally i prepare mine with those marinated onions, green celery for crunch and a dollop of mustard. miesposo loves but i would not serve it to his family, ha ha.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Sort of bland on its own (like most Dominican food), but as a side dish to chicken (or pork, which I don't eat), etc., pretty to look at and fits the carb place nicely.

I used to tell the comedor I frequented that it was ensalada de "Polaco" since I grew up eating it in a Polish family. Ours was not so bland and we used more eggs. I made it myself for the first time a few years ago and except for needing to put a bit more salt I have to say it came out pretty darn good. (If we put some carrots we use less than here and cut more finely).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
normally i prepare mine with those marinated onions, green celery for crunch and a dollop of mustard. miesposo loves but i would not serve it to his family, ha ha.
The mayo has to have a dash of Dijon mustard, definitely. Or the healthy version, with natural yogurt and olive oil.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
most dominicans i know will not touch mustard with a stick. we go through a jar of dijon every few weeks :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I win! I got my Dominican husband and mother-in-law to eat - and appreciate - Marmite?. He is also getting a little bit less squeamish about picante.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we had two types of potato salad from xmas (both made by my MIL): potato+egg and potato+apple+grapes. not bad as a side, we had lots of different dishes, but a bit bland on it's own. i added some gherkins, onions, pepper and mustard.

i can't believe we still have food from saturday left. it might be the cause for some intestinal disturbance we are experiencing now. but hey, i'm down two pounds this week. so there is a silver lining to this brown cloud. :D

jordan1010

Jan 16, 2017
cassava having a low glycemic index (GI) is good for diabetics. Cassava can be fried as a side dish, cooked with ribs or made into flour and baked in bread and cake. Cassava cake being one of the famous desserts is consumed in huge numbers.
Nowadays it’s easier to find bags of frozen cassava at Latin markets, where it comes peeled and ready to cook.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Seeing as there is still no"Food" thread on dr1 I shall post here. What is the best root vegetable to substitute for Turnips/Swede/ Swede,Turnip here in a stew or casserole?

The food that will be the closes substitute if "Yautia" It pretty much taste like the nasty starch that turnips are.