Dominican professionalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What about this -

If the D.R. did not suffer from the chronic lack of professionalism and endemic corruption it would be a first world country and therefore not the cheap to live in Caribbean island that attracts many of the ex-pats posting here.
Without the poverty and 3rd world nature of the country the chicas would not be as cheap, desperate or willing and the whole scenario would not exist as it does.

So there is a silver lining to every cloud...

Just a thought....... off the top of my head.

Just one problem with your thought. It is not cheap.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Haha, you hadn't reckoned with Chip.... :rambo: (Thank you, Chip.)
He (always) wants to have the final word... :classic:

donP

Your welcome, now what would you like to add? Maybe it's asking too much to re-read my original post and clarifications and then contribute?

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Maybe it is too much to ask you guys to try to stay on topic? Thanks Peter for your contribution, as discombobulated as it was. :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Take Comfort in Matthew 5:3

Your welcome, now what would you like to add?
Nothing really. :sleep:
I have read the whole thread. :cross-eye
I feel sorry for you, old foe... :(

Maybe it's asking too much to re-read my original post and clarifications and then contribute?
I re-read it many times...looking for some sense...gave up.... :knockedou

donP

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Nothing really. :sleep:
I have read the whole thread. :cross-eye
I feel sorry for you, old foe... :(

I re-read it many times...looking for some sense...gave up.... :knockedou

donP

Mire, viejo es el bisabuelo suyo!

Just kidding. Well if you can't add anything I guess we'll have to bash it out in another thread. :)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I will give Chip the benefit of the doubt, and answer his post honestly. You have to admire his tenacity although I do think he is a glutton for punishment. Nevertheless...

The term professionalism can be interpreted two ways...

1. Being excellent at whatever you do. Providing the highest standard of quality possible in an honest way, at correct prices. Yes, I have met Dominicans meeting those expectations. Not a lot, but yes they do exist. If I have to give one example it is the eye surgeon HB referred to me for a local gardener here. Super professional, more than honest price and a real pro. Mind you, he was educated in the States, and also studied at one of the most respected eye clinics in France. Nevertheless, as I said top notch, and good news, as he is an elderly gentleman, his son is following in his footsteps. HB, thanks for this excellent referral.

2. Doing the best you can, and being honest about it. Once again, I have to say I have met several "professionals" who met my expectations, Some examples? OK, an electrician in Jarabacoa who knew his job. Mind you, not European or US standards, but he got the job done, and would not leave untill the job was finished to his and my satisfaction. This guy saved us on Christmas eve, when we had no luz. Price for his intervention, 5$ and most of the bottle of my port (he regretted that later on when he met the road on the way home...). Honestly, this guy is a jewel, and is very conscientious of his job. Second example... I bought a car from a local dealer in Sabaneta. Very good mechanic (for simple engines). He gave me a 6 month warranty on the car and respected that totally. We had a major problem with the breaks. He admitted this, told me he did not have the expertise to fix this himself, but took the car to STI and had it fixed at no cost whatsoever for me. Yes, he is a professional.

Having said this. These were the good guys. Please do not start me on the bad ones...

OOOPPSSS... I started.... Having a problem with the pool at the house I rent. Went to all the pool-places in the neighborhoud, all owned by expats, and nobody bothered to show up.

Damn, giving support to Chip! I must be getting sick! It must be fatal!!!! Please, HELP ME!!!!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Maybe it is too much to ask you guys to try to stay on topic? Thanks Peter for your contribution, as discombobulated as it was. :)

Uh-oh........ Chip brought out the BIG guns, now trying to impress using BIG words.

discombobulate
[dis-kuhm-bob-yuh-leyt]   Origin
dis?com?bob?u?late
   [dis-kuhm-bob-yuh-leyt] Show IPA
verb (used with object), -lat?ed, -lat?ing.
to confuse or disconcert; upset; frustrate: The speaker was completely discombobulated by the hecklers.

Are you discombobulated by the hecklers in this thread Chip!

Opsss, my bad, some think you are already confused........

Note to Chip: "My Bad" is slang, not poor English grammar on my part.

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Speaking of my poor English, probably most of you wouldn't notice my occasional gaffes if it weren't for my very own fan, SantiagoDR, following me around and doing the honors. :)

Thanks for the "Honorable Mention" Chip.....

However, the word "occasional" really should have been left out of your post.

Now come back and say something in Spanish!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Big Pappy (HB) is watching this thread and me and my buddy BronxBoy are watching. The theme is professionalism in the DR.
BelgianK has provided some examples in his experience here. There should be more.

Nobody give a hoot about grammar on the Internet. We b!tch about "the Dominican" but that is just because is sounds so irritating to our ears...so please rein in the comments of which word means what and if you don't agree, well contribute something better, okay guys????

HB, very professional

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Right then!

Now that this thread has been re-opened, I'm gonna hop over to the other side and join Chip! But rather than just generalising, I will give an actual example of Dominican professionalism which is what every folk reading this wanted all along.

As Pedro mentioned earlier in this thread, I mend aeroplanes for a living. I am also a pilot and I own my own aeroplane. So needless to say, I know a thing or two about aviation.

Aviation is a fickle mistress. She doesn't tolerate unprofessionalism very well. In fact she rewards it with newly planted aluminium mines which are decorated with hundreds of charred corpses scattered around it.

When I first came to live and work in this country, I was initially very cautious about dealing with Dominicans in the aviation industry. Very similar to how I felt when I briefly worked in Indonesia for Garuda Airlines. As you may or may not know, Indonesia has an appalling air safety record and their aviation industry has killed many people.

As time passed here in the DR, I met many Dominicans involved with the aviation industry. Maintenance technicians, pilots, air traffic controllers, load controllers, dispatchers, airport managers, fuelers, ground handlers and people from their aviation authority. I am proud to say that almost all of these individuals are absolute professionals.

I have met Dominican technicians who have served in the US military and studied in Europe. These guys have actually started a maintenance company that holds a European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) approval. Something that the Europeans do not grant willy nilly. You have to be at the top of your game to earn such an approval. I occasionally contract for this company, and it's standards are on par with my former employer from the UK.

I regularly talk to Dominican pilots who fly Jetstreams, Citations and helicopters. They are only too happy to talk about flying here and offer advice and flying tips. I have also flown with them on many occasions and I have never felt unsafe with them the controls. They are educated, eloquent (in Spanish and English) professional pilots, with safety at the forefront of their minds. The Caribbean can be a tricky place to fly with such unpredictable weather and limited forecasting technology available. There is no substitute for experience in these parts, and this knowledge and experience is widely shared.

Whilst flying over this island I am handled by Dominican air traffic controllers who communicate clearly, provide excellent situational awareness and treat me with extreme courtesy.

I have dealt with officers from their aviation authority (IDAC). I have found that they take their jobs very seriously and are very proud of their professionalism.

The Dominican aviation industry is trying very hard to emulate the American FAA system, which in my opinion has the the highest standards in the world (after all, the Americans did invent modern aviation) That's saying something, coming from a Brit! But I fear that our European system has become bogged down in it's own self importance and bureaucracy.

So there you go Chip...it's only taken 16 pages!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The road builders here are far from professional in my experience.

For instance, Av. Olympia (Spelling) out here in Reparto Peralta, Santiago has been "Re-done" more times then I remember.

The only reason it is probably fairly decent now is that after layer upon layer of paving, it's getting stronger.

A few years ago, the government paved the streets in Reparto Peralta.

In order to have them continue on certain streets, the builder had to receive the proper bribe.

I know this as a fact for two reasons, the first being I put money in the bribe pot to do the hill leading up to the houses here. (They were only going to pave half way up the hill). He made sure we all knew that, so that the proper bribe could be offered.

The other reason I know this is because he was not happy enough with the bribe amount to complete the streets at the top of the hill. He personally came to me to ask "How was I", expecting me to sweeten the bribe pot. When I did not, they did not do our street, even though they had already graded and cleaned it for the asphalt to be put down. He was already guaranteed over $25,000 pesos, but it was not enough for his large pockets.

Professionalism at it's finest in the D.R.

Don

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Now Chip, do not get your hopes up. I do not like you at all, and I doubt I ever will. But, having said this, and meaning it, I do have to admit I like the DR, and most of its inhabitants.

There are loads of local people here who do take pride in their work. That work may not be up to US, or European standards quality wise, but they do the best they can with the limited means they have. And honestly, that is what I call professional pride.

Let me try to give explain this. I personally know a Belgian doctor, educated in one of the finest universities for medicines. specialized in internal medicines, who decided to volunteer for a couple of years as a doctor for "doctors without frontiers". I always will remember the story how he met his wife, a Belgian nurse. They were both send to some small, and remote village, somewhere in Africa. He, a doctor with 13 years of education, and she the most highly trained nurse possible. They met each other sitting side to side in the outhouses of that African village, both having the runs and not being able to cure it. The local medicine man gave them some herbs, and cured them. That is professionalism. By the way, this guy (the Belgian) is now chief of staff of the institute for tropical diseases in Belgium.

A lot of the crap work you see here is actually done by expats.

But, having said that, regardless of the fact that they take pride in their work, in most cases you cannot compare it to first country expectations. Which is fine by me. You do not live in a first world country, and you do not pay first world country prices either.

I still wonder why the plumber hired by the owner of this house replaced our bathtub faucet with a kitchen one???? And I still wonder when he is going to come over again to cement this huge hole he made in the outside wall of the bathroom to do so...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The road builders here are far from professional in my experience.

For instance, Av. Olympia (Spelling) out here in Reparto Peralta, Santiago has been "Re-done" more times then I remember.

The only reason it is probably fairly decent now is that after layer upon layer of paving, it's getting stronger.

A few years ago, the government paved the streets in Reparto Peralta.

In order to have them continue on certain streets, the builder had to receive the proper bribe.

I know this as a fact for two reasons, the first being I put money in the bribe pot to do the hill leading up to the houses here. (They were only going to pave half way up the hill). He made sure we all knew that, so that the proper bribe could be offered.

The other reason I know this is because he was not happy enough with the bribe amount to complete the streets at the top of the hill. He personally came to me to ask "How was I", expecting me to sweeten the bribe pot. When I did not, they did not do our street, even though they had already graded and cleaned it for the asphalt to be put down. He was already guaranteed over $25,000 pesos, but it was not enough for his large pockets.

Professionalism at it's finest in the D.R.

Don

Living in Jarabacoa, we had a disastrous road leading up to the ave de la confluencia. We complained to the owner, and yes, he hired some "professionals" to straighten out this road. Mind you, do not read pave it. They did a great job, in a way. It looked nice, but they forgot a small matter. The gutters were on the left, and they made the road slant to the right...

Result after 2 rainy days... it was even worse than before.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My son's father was in an Advanced English class at UTESA in Santiago. When he met my brother, my brother says to him "So how are you liking the United States?", he answered "I'm fine, and you?"
PROFESSIONALISM

SHALENA

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"THEE" PROBLEM in the DR,has nothing to do with a lack of "Professionalism",which most here have equated/mistaken,for "Skill/knowledge",WHICH IS learned through EDUCATION/TRAINING!(I just found that cute little"/")
"THEE" problem in the DR,can be summed up with one word,preceeded by, "LACK OF".I bet everyone here,except "POOR CHIPPER",is ahead of me on this one,so lets wait for him to "Catch Up",1,2,3,........98,99,.........................1,007,1008,............2,000,152,................$hit!,"Sorry Chip,I GOT A BUS TO CATCH!
That "WORD"Chip,is.....RESPONSIBILITY,proceeded by,..."Lack Of"!
There is no "Personal" responsibility,and therefore no "Public" responsibility!
Outcome?...............I am 65 years old,I don't have enough time left to make the complete list!
Humans are not born to be responsible.
Responsibility is not an instinct,it is a trait,it must be taught,and therefore,it needs to be learned!
"Catch 22" for the DR!
Who the hell is going to be the "TEACHER"??????????????????????????????
"THERE"!
To bad Chip won't be able to comprehend anything I just wrote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hear my bus coming!
tom,I ,I ,I ,I mean
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.