Older kids drinking baby bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I quit drinking milk out of a bottle before I was 2 and my wife quit at age 7 and from what I've seen she has had less cavities than me. Oh well another myth bites the dust.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I believe chip they were referencing the baby teeth, which can be rotted. Now you and your wife I would imagine meet long after your and her baby teeth were gone. Which means that she took better care of her permanent teeth than you did.

Not just a myth.

http://www.ada.org/3034.aspx

Tooth decay is a disease that begins with cavity-causing bacteria being passed from the mother (or primary caregiver) who has these bacteria in their mouth to the infant. These bacteria are passed through the saliva. When the mother puts the baby’s feeding spoon in her mouth, or cleans a pacifier in her mouth, the bacteria are passed to the baby.

Another factor for tooth decay is the frequent, prolonged exposure of the baby’s teeth to liquids that contain sugar, like sweetened water and fruit juice and potentially milk, breast milk and formula. Tooth decay can occur when the baby is put to bed with a bottle, or when a bottle is used as a pacifier for a fussy baby. The sugary liquids pool around the teeth while the child sleeps. Bacteria in the mouth use these sugars as food. They then produce acids that attack the teeth. Each time your child drinks these liquids, acids attack for 20 minutes or longer. After multiple attacks, the teeth can decay.

Pacifiers dipped in sugar or honey can also lead to tooth decay since the sugar or honey can provide food for the bacteria’s acid attacks.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I believe chip they were referencing the baby teeth, which can be rotted. Now you and your wife I would imagine meet long after your and her baby teeth were gone. Which means that she took better care of her permanent teeth than you did.

Not just a myth.

Baby Bottle Tooth Decay - American Dental Association - ADA.org

Tooth decay is a disease that begins with cavity-causing bacteria being passed from the mother (or primary caregiver) who has these bacteria in their mouth to the infant. These bacteria are passed through the saliva. When the mother puts the baby?s feeding spoon in her mouth, or cleans a pacifier in her mouth, the bacteria are passed to the baby.

Another factor for tooth decay is the frequent, prolonged exposure of the baby?s teeth to liquids that contain sugar, like sweetened water and fruit juice and potentially milk, breast milk and formula. Tooth decay can occur when the baby is put to bed with a bottle, or when a bottle is used as a pacifier for a fussy baby. The sugary liquids pool around the teeth while the child sleeps. Bacteria in the mouth use these sugars as food. They then produce acids that attack the teeth. Each time your child drinks these liquids, acids attack for 20 minutes or longer. After multiple attacks, the teeth can decay.

Pacifiers dipped in sugar or honey can also lead to tooth decay since the sugar or honey can provide food for the bacteria?s acid attacks.

A lot of things can cause tooth decay. You guys would have us believe one should only give their kids whole wheat and lettuce apparently.

I don't see that letting one's kids drink milk in a bottle until they are 7 in the DR will have any more adverse effect than them growing up in the States and eating what kids commonly do.

BTW, both my other daughters who both drank milk, mostly chocolate after they were 2, until they were 4 have no cavities. Next.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A lot of things can cause tooth decay. You guys would have us believe one should only give their kids whole wheat and lettuce apparently.

I don't see that letting one's kids drink milk in a bottle until they are 7 in the DR will have any more adverse effect than them growing up in the States and eating what kids commonly do.

BTW, both my other daughters who both drank milk, mostly chocolate after they were 2, until they were 4 have no cavities. Next.

I think you are missing the point. It's not just milk that people put in the bottles but sweetened drinks. If you give these to children before they go to bed and they fall to sleep and don't brush their teeth their quite likely to have serious tooth decay. It has nothing to do with milk.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think you are missing the point. It's not just milk that people put in the bottles but sweetened drinks. If you give these to children before they go to bed and they fall to sleep and don't brush their teeth their quite likely to have serious tooth decay. It has nothing to do with milk.

The thread is about older children drinking with baby bottles. Mine did and do and I have seen no adverse effects.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
64 years old, never given a baby bottle and still find the need to be breastfed......NEXT...

B in Santiago

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
My son turned 4 in October and he loves his bottle... he's in JK and I tried everything to get him to give it up... slowly he started wanting it less... went to the DR for this past Christmas & New Years and my husband talked to him showed him other kids his age not drinking bottles and he went himself and threw his bottles in the garbage and since that day he's been a 'big boy'... sometimes I think the kid has to be ready... just like potty training.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
64 years old, never given a baby bottle and still find the need to be breastfed......NEXT...

B in Santiago

This answers a question I was going to ask yesterday. If a boy is bottle fed at an older age does he develop a breast fetish?
OOOPS Maybe not.... you were never bottle fed. ;)

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I was unable to comment yesterday. Thanks to DR1's hard working staff the board is back to normal this AM.
It is interesting to me to read that a few members actually do know children bottle fed at older than the average age.
I am not personally interested in the judgement of the practice. I am more interested into why? The majority of members think it is because of lazy Mothers.
I am still guessing on the pamper question. My best guess would be that it is not talked about that much. Kind of a hush hush topic and others don't see the kids in pampers.
Thanks for some of your responses.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is no shame for kids here using diapers or bottles until they are 4 or 5. Dominicans think kids should be kids and pay no attention to it.

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
There is no shame for kids here using diapers or bottles until they are 4 or 5. Dominicans think kids should be kids and pay no attention to it.

Diapers until 5 ? Wow!!

Is this 'here' specific to 'here', your house?

There can never be shame in innocence, the child knows no better. The adult responsible for the child is a different matter!

If I made no effort, I would be ashamed of myself.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Diapers until 5 ? Wow!!

Is this 'here' specific to 'here', your house?

There can never be shame in innocence, the child knows no better. The adult responsible for the child is a different matter!

If I made no effort, I would be ashamed of myself.

I fail to see what damage is done and am sorry you are so narrow minded. You are probably better off raising your kids in sunny ole England where everything is perfect and people know how to behave, especially at football matches.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Chip can you just except that sometimes other people have different opinions than yours?
Do you have to make every post an insult or argument?
You have already told us about your children. You don't have to repeat it 20 more times.
I would prefer judgements to not be voiced but........ it is normal on DR1 for this to happen.
Ignore what you don't like.

Driftwood

Feb 7, 2012
I fail to see what damage is done and am sorry you are so narrow minded. You are probably better off raising your kids in sunny ole England where everything is perfect and people know how to behave, especially at football matches.

What??
Ok, 'you fail to see', this is what the initial consensus was about why this happens, parents know no better. I have no doubt you are a fantastic father and do it your way and your children will thrive, with or without a bottle and diapers.
Why you think I am better off raising my child in England at football matches when she is far more developed than some of the examples mentioned on here I'm unsure, but I appreciate the sentiment and consideration you show for my childs development. She is pretty good though, so no need for a football match thanks.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe the educational system is partly to blame as well.

In Belgium kids have to go to school at the age of 2 1/2 (well, school is a big word... pre-school), and bottles are not allowed. In the first year diapers are still allowed but kids are actively potty-trained at school, and it is strongly recommended the parents do the same. In the first year the kids are also allowed to drink from those mugs with a lid on it.

A second advantage is that kids watch the other kids, and do not want to be the last one wearing diapers or drinking from a bottle.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Not teaching a child basic life skills, such as using a cup or the toilet by a certain age is child abuse. You are basically handing your kid a learning disability by not giving them the tools to grow and learn.

In my 9 years living here in the DR I have never seen diapers or bottles being used by older kids, but thumb sucking seems common...

Status
Not open for further replies.