No need for Covid tests for arriving tourists

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The new government has just announced that there will be no need for arriving tourists to produce Covid tests, no mass testing at airports, only random testing. Also that all tourists staying in hotels will benefit from a state programme which will cover medical costs, any costs associated with extending stays and changing flights due to emergencies. See the photos below. Not sure when this will start, so don't rely on it but it seems like very helpful news to kickstart tourism again.

1598390724802.png
1598390756911.png

Reactions: CristoRey and cavok

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is a great plan on a few fronts -

What other island/destination offers such a program ?

It releases the staff currently at airports to go back where they belong - hospitals

It frees up test kits to get back to working for the citizens/residents

All sorts of good things

He is using the $$ from the reduced graft for the good of the country and people

I pray it continues...........

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
He has been a tourism guy (Abinader).... and still is
What other island offers that !!!

Good plan

(Submitted prior to your posting # 5)
May I ask why you consider it to be a good plan?
There seems to be a double edged spatula amongst the community regarding this.
Is it the influx of tourists that is needed, or the safety of the populace within from this dreadful virus?
So many questions. So little answers.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Just think of all the virus infected foreigners that will now be entering the country, through it's doors of entry.
Traveling within, without a test as to how they stand. :eek:
Is that not the narrative throughout other thread lines for the last 5 months?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well - to be dismissive.... not too much , I hope

Live by the sword - Die by the sword

Pick your poison
The country will be in tatters if tourism continues to lag

Necessary evil.... a thousand trite expressions

But we need SOMETHING !!!!!

Reactions: Caonabo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Offer a better plan ---- a workable plan...

The tests are not too reliable anyway - especially in the early days

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The really BIG issue is not adhering to the protocol... the virus etiquette

W/o that...... you lose every roll of the dice

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Well - to be dismissive.... not too much , I hope

Live by the sword - Die by the sword

Pick your poison

The country will be in tatters if tourism continues to lag

Necessary evil.... a thousand trite expressions

But we need SOMETHING !!!!!

After 5 months of this nonsense, it is good to see you are on board. Now if only the other Doomsday Davies and Crazy Charlottes would follow suit.
It is time to live again!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Offer a better plan ---- a workable plan...

The tests are not too reliable anyway - especially in the early days

My plan. My better plan. My only plan.......
....was not to have shut anything at all, and carry on with life.
Those persons that have chosen to hide under theor beds since March are still doing so.
Sane persons have to provide for theor families, and themselves.
Less The Walking Dead, and more REALITY.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Ending testing for incoming tourists is NOT a good idea. At all. Most tourists are coming in from the US, which is ground zero for infections.

This bug is real, and doesn't care about someone's personal opinion that it's not real, or the danger is overblown. The bug doesn't care that, for "herd immunity" to work, a significant portion of the "herd" tends to die out.

I understand the need to get the economy back in place, but the way to do it is screening passengers before they get into the country. I would require the airlines to at least do thermal screening testing prior to the person getting on the plane.

Qatar Airlines is doing it now. There's no reason US carriers can't implement the same thing.

Reactions: Meemselle

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Next month it will be different rules and goodies we will have to follow , the more things change , the more they stay the same!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Ending testing for incoming tourists is NOT a good idea. At all. Most tourists are coming in from the US, which is ground zero for infections.

This bug is real, and doesn't care about someone's personal opinion that it's not real, or the danger is overblown. The bug doesn't care that, for "herd immunity" to work, a significant portion of the "herd" tends to die out.

I understand the need to get the economy back in place, but the way to do it is screening passengers before they get into the country. I would require the airlines to at least do thermal screening testing prior to the person getting on the plane.

Qatar Airlines is doing it now. There's no reason US carriers can't implement the same thing.

Life goes on for those that need, and possess a/the desire to work to provide for their families and themselves.
Those that have lived their lives otherwise, relying on gouvernment subsidies to exist (Dominicans abroad included), think otherwise.
For some lot, it easy to live off their respective gouvernment without shame.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I hope they are going to cover the medical expenses for Dominican citizens the same way. This would be great news. Or, is this already covered for Dominicans?

Reactions: Caonabo

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
He has been a tourism guy (Abinader).... and still is
What other island offers that !!!

Good plan
[/QUOT

Canadian airlines and airports have passenger thermal imaging protocols in place. You can’t get into airports in my area unless your wearing a mask and you also have to wear a mask on-board the aircraft. Thermal imaging is done at the ticket counter. I thought these protocols were in place at US airports. If not, any US aircraft pulling up to a DR airport gate is a Pandora's Box waiting to be opened.