Bugs in the rice

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Bugs in rice and pasta is one thing, bugs in cigars is worse. Years ago a friend of mine brought a case of Arturo Fuente. Thanks very much. All in the humidor, weeks later all my cigars had holes.
Lost my graycliffs that way :(

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Thank you for your usual extremely helpful contribution. Guess what - I have tried different supermarkets and, as I said, different brands.
You are welcome as I know how much
you value my input.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Went camping with my father often as a child. One evening my dad and I shared a large can of Campbells Pork & Beans cold.
I can recall it tasting very nice.
When I asked for a second helping I saw the horror on my dad's face as he looked into the can and it was filled with live squirming maggots.
Don't think I have had Pork & Beans since I was 8 years old !

Some things can scar a memory

• Wow
Reactions: AlterEgo

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I bought a box of lasagna noodles last year that had the little plastic window. All looked good till I got home and I couldn't believe the amount of little black bugs in there. It was more entertaining than TV.
I am off lasagna in the DR now and just do the baked spaghetti thing when I need a pasta fix.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
some bad news. Insect parts and rodent hairs are in many many foods we consume. The FDA even has acceptable levels "per part" of product. If you eat peanut butter you eat insect heads, thorax's and legs with a few rodent hairs blended in. Bread, yum yum, same thing.

In the chocolate industry it used to be - perhaps still is- that floor scrapings were allowed up to 10-15%.

So 10-15% of every chocolate bar came from off the factory floor...... yum, yum !!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm still trying to figure out what's the issue with eating a couple of bugs? Ignorance is bliss, I imagine.

🤢🤮🤢

Wash your rice, dried beans, etc. before cooking and the undesirables will float to the top.
Sift the flour before using.
I also keep certain products refrigerated.

The rices I buy in the USA specifically say not to rinse before or after cooking, as it will deplete vitamins (???) so I’ve never ever washed rice. First time I saw a Dominican wash rice I thought they just didn’t know any better, lol. Then I saw the 50 pound open bags of rice at the colmado and the outdoor mercados and I began to understand that I was out of my element.

I ship down 40 pound bags of jasmine rice and bread flour, and they immediately go into the chest freezer. Once opened, they go into a multitude of sealed plastic containers, back into the freezer.

I am a bug-a-phobic person. If I found a bug in any product, the entire thing would be trashed. DR isn’t the ideal place for me 😂

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
🤢🤮🤢

The rices I buy in the USA specifically say not to rinse before or after cooking, as it will deplete vitamins (???) so I’ve never ever washed rice. First time I saw a Dominican wash rice I thought they just didn’t know any better, lol. Then I saw the 50 pound open bags of rice at the colmado and the outdoor mercados and I began to understand that I was out of my element.
Brown rice is much easier to cook if you soak it first, and basmati also needs to be rinsed to reduce stickiness.

Reactions: keepcoming

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Brown rice is much easier to cook if you soak it first, and basmati also needs to be rinsed to reduce stickiness.

Ah thanks for that basmati info. Lindsay loved it, and I never bought it....yesterday our supermarket had 20 pounds on sale for $9.99 so I bought a bag in her honor. Unless I’m making arroz con guandules, I’ve pretty much switched to an electric rice maker. Any reason not to use it for basmati?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ah thanks for that basmati info. Lindsay loved it, and I never bought it....yesterday our supermarket had 20 pounds on sale for $9.99 so I bought a bag in her honor. Unless I’m making arroz con guandules, I’ve pretty much switched to an electric rice maker. Any reason not to use it for basmati?
I don't know, I've never used an electric rice maker. It's easy enough to cook the normal way, easier than Dominican rice.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Pasteurization aka boiling, kills all pathogens, salmonella, e coli etc.

Boiling, pasteurization and sterilization (killing of all micro-organisms) are three distinct and different processes.

First of all, pasteurization requires heating to a particular temperature and holding at that temperature for a particular amount of time. Milk heated to 73°C and held there for 20 minutes is pasteurized. This process kills the vegetative forms of harmful bacteria.

Sterilization requires a temperature of 100°C for 20 minutes at 20 pounds pressure. This kills all micro-organisms.

Boiling alone is not equal to sterilizing. When I first started organizing dental clinics for the poor we used a pressure cooker to obtain the necessary temperature and pressure to sterilize the instruments we used.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Boiling, pasteurization and sterilization (killing of all micro-organisms) are three distinct and different processes.

First of all, pasteurization requires heating to a particular temperature and holding at that temperature for a particular amount of time. Milk heated to 73°C and held there for 20 minutes is pasteurized. This process kills the vegetative forms of harmful bacteria.

Sterilization requires a temperature of 100°C for 20 minutes at 20 pounds pressure. This kills all micro-organisms.

Boiling alone is not equal to sterilizing. When I first started organizing dental clinics for the poor we used a pressure cooker to obtain the necessary temperature and pressure to sterilize the instruments we used.
never said boiling was sterilization ( that's what autoclave's are for) glad I didn't go to your clinic

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
never said boiling was sterilization ( that's what autoclave's are for) glad I didn't go to your clinic

No, you said "boiling, aka pasteurization" which is incorrect. I added sterilization because you mentioned "killing all pathogens" and I did not want you to try to equate the three processes.

The officials of Salud Pública supervised the clinics and made certain that the care was rendered correctly. You would have been perfectly safe and cared for by first world dentists and professors of dental medicine.

MarJD

Aug 29, 2012
I purchased rice in various supermarkets in DR, I never saw bugs. (Jumbo, Iberia, Ole) in the Juan Dolio and Santo Domingo area. I also grew up in DR. The only time I have seen little worms in rice is if it has been sitting around for a looooooong time. I also never heard of anyone putting it in fridge. Yes, I also wash it, is the way my mom did it. Something is wrong with the product or the place you shop.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
No, you said "boiling, aka pasteurization" which is incorrect. I added sterilization because you mentioned "killing all pathogens" and I did not want you to try to equate the three processes.

The officials of Salud Pública supervised the clinics and made certain that the care was rendered correctly. You would have been perfectly safe and cared for by first world dentists and professors of dental medicine.
Go pic an argument with someone else, discover what an autoclave is and go to a dentist in Haiti.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Go pic an argument with someone else, discover what an autoclave is and go to a dentist in Haiti.
I know exactly what an autoclave is! I learned when I started my study of Microbiology.

You are responding with less than civility because it appears to annoy you that I recognized the errors in your original post. I have not been impolite. Can you say the same?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I know exactly what an autoclave is! I learned when I started my study of Microbiology.

You are responding with less than civility because it appears to annoy you that I recognized the errors in your original post. I have not been impolite. Can you say the same?
The only error is your lack of understanding the subject matter of this thread. Your google knowledge is unimpressive. You offering up "I started my study of Microbiology" is amusing and telling. Please move on and try to impress someone else.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
The only error is your lack of understanding the subject matter of this thread. Your google knowledge is unimpressive. You offering up "I started my study of Microbiology" is amusing and telling. Please move on and try to impress someone else.
Res ipsa loquitor.

Reactions: Auryn