Sosua - Welcome to the Red Zone - Sosua

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Guys, gals, please forgive my ignorance and don't jump down my throat, but if prostitution is not illegal in the DR, why are girls arrested on Pedro Clisante? And how is the selection made? I mean, most of the girls on PC look like prostitutes (I imagine that they are). Why aren't the same girls arrested/hassled on Playa Sosua?

They're probably being taken into custody for something other than prostitution.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Guys, gals, please forgive my ignorance and don't jump down my throat, but if prostitution is not illegal in the DR, why are girls arrested on Pedro Clisante? And how is the selection made? I mean, most of the girls on PC look like prostitutes (I imagine that they are). Why aren't the same girls arrested/hassled on Playa Sosua?
Sir Dav it is a fair question. In the towns misguided attempt to rid the area or at least limit the appearance of it being the Amsterdam of the Caribbean they took to hassling the chicas when they were walking on the street. Mostly the block by the taxi stand. They would call it loitering or just about any other charge to arrest them and hold them for the night. It will never and has never worked. It has just spread the chicas around the the entire town including the beach, which is really nothing new. Hence the idea of the new red light zone. Supposedly to keep the worlds oldest profession contained and out of sight, similar to Aruba

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Sir Dav it is a fair question. In the towns misguided attempt to rid the area or at least limit the appearance of it being the Amsterdam of the Caribbean they took to hassling the chicas when they were walking on the street. Mostly the block by the taxi stand. They would call it loitering or just about any other charge to arrest them and hold them for the night. It will never and has never worked. It has just spread the chicas around the the entire town including the beach, which is really nothing new. Hence the idea of the new red light zone. Supposedly to keep the worlds oldest profession contained and out of sight, similar to Aruba

Thank you, Big! Makes sense.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sir Dav it is a fair question. In the towns misguided attempt to rid the area or at least limit the appearance of it being the Amsterdam of the Caribbean they took to hassling the chicas when they were walking on the street.
Misguided?
They have been hassling the chicas since I moved there back in
2012. I know a few of those working girls. Always the same thing,
PN arrest them and afterwards they pay a small "fine" or spend a
night in a disgusting cell. It's just another way for those
under paid Muppets to make some extra pesos. Has nothing to do
with whether or not its legal.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Misguided?
They have been hassling the chicas since I moved there back in
2012. I know a few of those working girls. Always the same thing,
guess you agree than "misguided"

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
You are correct in asking this important question..
and in fact THEY HAVE pushed it so far as to attempt to arrest or HASSLE ( shake down ? perhaps) Guests from AI's with WRISTBANDS and ID to prove it who were just strolling on Pedro C. .. just because they dressed or looked a certain way ... a lot more disgusting and disturbing than the spandex parade ..
Anyone who thinks their wife , Novia, or SISTER or God Forbid DAUGHTER deserves to be treated this way , all in the name of " cleaning up Sosua".
then you are part of the problem , more than you think . Funny how The Social Justice warriors who want to " save " the girls from a Life of selling their bodies don't seem to care so much about the Harassment of Bonafide Tourists who came to town to Spend Money , nothing more ..they are certainly not there to SELL themselves to pay the Hotel bill ..

They're probably being taken into custody for something other than prostitution.
Could be .. cuz pretty much every single Moto can get you some yeyo , or whatnot .. and the Police do know who they are and all their tricks of how they transfer it ... the Moto guys are not too bright , and sometimes they even work with the Police to Shake down the same people they just sold drugs to.
So this is certainly a valid possibility ...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Like the gringo "round up" the hassling of foreign tourist women was an isolated occurrence during a short time span quite a while ago by Cestur, I believe. We all know that the rank and file police here are not always the brightest bulbs in the box. Hasn't happened since that I have heard about. Someone got their instructions mixed up. That mix up was quickly straightened out. The desire to revamp the area around Sosua and its public image by the locals and the politicos has nothing to do with tourists and everything to do with the women who come from near and far to strut up and down the main drag of this town and then get seen by the world on youtube. Using the far end of Pedro Clisante is an attempt to keep the legitimate tourists and the working girls apart. How they are dealt with in the east end is for the officials to decide. Maybe they would prefer the girls who live in Santiago to stay in Santiago.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The desire to revamp the area around Sosua and its public image by the locals and the politicos has nothing to do with tourists and everything to do with the women who come from near and far to strut up and down the main drag of this town and then get seen by the world on youtube.
Man do I miss the good old days of
"pampers and leche papi".

Reactions: David B

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Like the gringo "round up" the hassling of foreign tourist women was an isolated occurrence during a short time span quite a while ago by Cestur, I believe. We all know that the rank and file police here are not always the brightest bulbs in the box. Hasn't happened since that I have heard about. Someone got their instructions mixed up. That mix up was quickly straightened out. The desire to revamp the area around Sosua and its public image by the locals and the politicos has nothing to do with tourists and everything to do with the women who come from near and far to strut up and down the main drag of this town and then get seen by the world on youtube. Using the far end of Pedro Clisante is an attempt to keep the legitimate tourists and the working girls apart. How they are dealt with in the east end is for the officials to decide. Maybe they would prefer the girls who live in Santiago to stay in Santiago.
If it saves ONE Turtle ,,, banning Straws is well worth it ...... yes ?

Reactions: lifeisgreat and Big

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Does anyone know more about what went on at Ahnvee yesterday with this supposed raid? I hear a bunch of people were arrested around town yesterday. Probably lots of them were loitering girls. The number my neighbor was tossing around is 43 people arrested not necessarily all at the same time or in the same place. Sorry no more details. Apparently the police are getting a little anal about wearing masks.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Man do I miss the good old days of
"pampers and leche papi".

I seem to be stuck between the both worlds: I have acquaintances who need the 1100 for a pack of Pampers and 1100 for a can of milk powder as well as acquaintances who walk the beach.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sorry no more details. Apparently the police are getting a little anal about wearing masks.
Perhaps they (the PN) are being pressured to make it appear
as if they are doing their job. Ahnvee is not the only hotel in
Sosua skirting the rules. I've never been to this hotel but I have
seen some of the YouTube videos which were posted online.
Not the smartest way to avoid trouble in my opinion. Discretion
is key.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007

correcto ;)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If it saves ONE Turtle ,,, banning Straws is well worth it ...... yes ?
1600036882680.png