Why Can't the Dominican Republic be the Solution to the Crisis in Haiti?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
could someone of the Haiti Rebuilders tell me One reasonwhy the DR should takeany responsibility to do anything for Haiti?
of course it would be somenice peace of mind to have a democratic and unaggressive Island Neighbour,
but to try to achieve such (imho Impossible) it would be in my opinon stupid by the DR to blow big affords/moneys in he wind for such hopeless game.
the DR is not a rich country but developed perfectly fine the last decades and even despite covid and us-BS-Press and summer storms it will continue to do so,
taking care about themself(the DR).
the only benefit from the Ilsand Neighbour is cheap labourers for the jobs where needed, that can be continued without any other afford necessary.
the shi.t situation of Haiti is on no point any DR fault, there is zero reason for DR to start some go-fund-me movement for the hopeless neighbour.
I know many Haitians her in my own surroundings, including neighbours, all good people, hard working like everybody else around,
but I do not see any reason why the DR should be any accountable to fix anything over there
nor do i see any reason why any other country would blow big money towards a government which take's ALL for themself while on the streets people kill people for reasons nobody could explain.
we just said good-bye to a money robbing government in the DR,
but while stuffing the own pockets they also lead a way which brought the DR big progress the last couple decades.
i do ot anything like that to happen in haiti for many decades to come.
so could anybody tell me one reason why the DR!!!! should force something big on their own people to help Haiti on anything?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
When did Haiti say it's for blacks only? :unsure:😁
Haiti was founded as a black republic. Its own constitution also limited the rights of white people. For instance, stating that white men couldn't own property in the country.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
OK, but what about the law passed some years ago that sez it's not good enough to be born here but you have to prove your ancestors were from here too in order to be considered a citizen. While I'm sure it didn't address Haitians per se, I think the entire universe knows it was targeting them.
Jus Sanguinis has been in the Dominican Constitution for ages. Ironically, It is also on the Haitian Constitution.
So, whatever law you mention didn't establish it. What it basically did was to establish a more outlined defition of "people in transit", a course of action to follow on related issues, etc.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just to be clear, there are no laws about Haitians. In fact, every year thousands of Haitians that go through the same naturalization process as many other foreigners have done in this site and they too are sworn in as naturalized Dominican citizens once their process is successful. The laws do target illegal immigrants and that includes illegal Haitians (including those with false documents they buy from fraudsters), but not legal Haitians. As long that legal Haitians and legal anything aren't targeted by any law, then there are no laws about Haitians.

If there is a day when the law prohibits the naturalization of any Haitian, then it could be said that law is about Haitians, not just the legal or illegal ones. Until then...
No one is going to believe you that immigration laws are not just about Haitians and that people from tourist card countries have ever been targeting for simply being in the DR illegally. Nobody...

Reactions: Auryn

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Windy, I'm guessing you probably don't read the local dailies.
There have been various reports of illegals being deported where there are citizens of other countries being deported along with Haitians.
There's no arguing the majority being deported are Haitian, but they're not the only ones.

Reactions: cavok and Caonabo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
could someone of the Haiti Rebuilders tell me One reasonwhy the DR should takeany responsibility to do anything for Haiti?
of course it would be somenice peace of mind to have a democratic and unaggressive Island Neighbour,
but to try to achieve such (imho Impossible) it would be in my opinon stupid by the DR to blow big affords/moneys in he wind for such hopeless game.
the DR is not a rich country but developed perfectly fine the last decades and even despite covid and us-BS-Press and summer storms it will continue to do so,
the only benefit from the Ilsand Neighbour is cheap labourers for the jobs where needed, that can be continued without any other afford necessary.
the shi.t situation of Haiti is on no point any DR fault, there is zero reason for DR to start some go-fund-me movement for the hopeless neighbour.
I know many Haitians her in my own surroundings, including neighbours, all good people, hard working like everybody else around,
but I do not see any reason why the DR should be any accountable to fix anything over there
nor do i see any reason why any other country would blow big money towards a government which take's ALL for themself while on the streets people kill people for reasons nobody could explain.
but while stuffing the own pockets they also lead a way which brought the DR big progress the last couple decades.
so could anybody tell me one reason why the DR!!!! should force something big on their own people to help Haiti on anything?
I agree with everything you said in this comment except for the Dominican Republic is not a rich country. It is very rich country but unfortunately it has been extremely mismanaged for years.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I agree with everything you said in this comment except for the Dominican Republic is not a rich country. It is very rich country but unfortunately it has been extremely mismanaged for years.
It boggles the mind to think what this country would be like if it were not due to the effects of corruption.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
No one is going to believe you that immigration laws are not just about Haitians and that people from tourist card countries have ever been targeting for simply being in the DR illegally. Nobody...
It doesn't matter what people want to believe, what matters is that they are told what things are. That way if they become aware of what it is, they can't say they didn't know. Its also true most people aren't capable of doing that, since most need validation from others in order to make sense of things. But that's most, not all.

I don't remember who said it, but there is a saying: "Many people stumble upon the truth, get up, dust themselves and keep going as if nothing ever happened."

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It doesn't matter what people want to believe, what matters is that they are told what things are. That way if they become aware of what it is, they can't say they didn't know. Its also true most people aren't capable of doing that, since most need validation from others in order to make sense of things. But that's most, not all.

I don't remember who said it, but there is a saying: "Many people stumble upon the truth, get up, dust themselves and keep going as if nothing ever happened."

Who is, Winston Churchill.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
I'll take Famous Quotes for $200.

user123

Aug 16, 2017
Haiti was founded as a black republic. Its own constitution also limited the rights of white people. For instance, stating that white men couldn't own property in the country.
I replied to that point but the mods keep deleting the posts, so...

user123

Aug 16, 2017
What part of not allowed do you not understand?
What I don't understand is your ego trip 😁 You can't discuss Haiti and history of Haiti without mentioning race, slavery, France... but you don't even read the posts, you glaze over them and if you see a country other than Haiti and DR mentioned you automatically delete the post lol. Sometimes one has to mention France, Zimbabwe, South Africa... when trying to put things into perspective, but hey, you gotta feed the ego trip, so... *delete* 😁🤷‍♂️

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, I'm guessing you probably don't read the local dailies.
There have been various reports of illegals being deported where there are citizens of other countries being deported along with Haitians.
There's no arguing the majority being deported are Haitian, but they're not the only ones.
Nobody who entered on a tourist card was deported regardless of length of overstay.
(or were they?)

But you are correct that I have not been following up on the big green buses as of late.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
What I don't understand is your ego trip 😁 You can't discuss Haiti and history of Haiti without mentioning race, slavery, France... but you don't even read the posts, you glaze over them and if you see a country other than Haiti and DR mentioned you automatically delete the post lol. Sometimes one has to mention France, Zimbabwe, South Africa... when trying to put things into perspective, but hey, you gotta feed the ego trip, so... *delete* 😁🤷‍♂️

AE will have to forgive me for touching on the issue by answering your post, but in my view this is the thing that makes the whole difference between both countries on the island at the economic level, and explains why the DR will keep the upper hand for the time being: despite all the known issues of corruption on the DR, this country simply has more hospitality and openness to foreign (European/American/Canadian) investment, property ownership and plain settlement of citizens of said countries than Haiti has, and it couldn't have been any other way given the ethos by which both countries were created (Haiti under a very anti-European one, the DR as an answer to said ethos and plain anti-criolloness of the Haitian elites). My two cents.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Billions of international aid have evaporated into Haitian corruption by Haitian governments.
It's time for Haitians to rebuild their own country if they desire improvements.

The only thing the DR should do,
Is to close the borders to Haiti and to control unregulated ingress into the DR.
We will have to see how the DR will survive the CV19 crisis economically.

Between the fiscal years of 1995 and 1999, the U.S. contributed roughly $884 million in assistance to Haiti.

Canadian aid to Haiti[edit]
See also: Canada–Haiti relations
Canada–Haiti relations are relations between Canada and Haiti. Canada is Haiti's second largest donor after the United States. During the unsettled period from 1957 to 1990, Canada received many Haitian refugees, who now form a significant minority in Quebec. Canada participated in various international interventions in Haiti between 1994 and 2004, and continues to provide substantial aid to Haiti.

UN aid to Haiti[edit]
The US is the largest foreign source of relief aid to Haiti from the 2010 Haiti earthquake, although in December 2011, the Haitian President Michel Martellysaid that "The cooperation with Venezuela is the most important in Haiti right now in terms of impact, direct impact."[7] USA, through USAID is giving more than $712 million in aid. However, this amount also comprises donations of many non-governmental organizations such as World Vision and the Red Cross accumulated from different parts of the globe through various campaigns in support of Haiti.[8] In comparison, the EU and the 27 member-states alone are providing over 400 million euro, which is about $650 million.[9]

Following the 2010 Haiti earthquake Venezuela made substantial contributions to the humanitarian response to the earthquake, pledging $1.3bn in aid in addition to cancelling $395m in PetroCaribe debt.[7][10][11] Projects included the construction of three power plants, which provided a fifth of Haiti's electricity in December 2011.[7]

A country by country Excel report can be seen here, where the EU countries are presented separately, and the US contribution is diminished to about 460 million dollars.[12] (*Represents aid tied to 2010 earthquake relief)

WORLD TOTAL 2,422,202,996

Country/organisationISO country codeFunding, committed and uncommitted
Others639,381,379
Private (individuals & organisations)593,639,219
United StatesUS466,879,506
CanadaCA130,733,775
World Bank (emergency grant)82,107,356
JapanJP70,744,798
Saudi ArabiaSA50,000,000
SpainES47,664,745
European Commission43,290,043
FranceFR33,844,153
United KingdomUK33,070,138
Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF)27,976,462
NorwayNO25,298,044
SwedenSE25,039,684
GermanyDE21,645,022
BrazilBR16,884,782
DenmarkDK16,288,032
AustraliaAU13,489,209
ChinaCN10,813,535
UN & agencies1
ItalyIT9,302,037
SwitzerlandCH8,932,039
FinlandFI8,005,607
Russian FederationRU5,700,000
NetherlandsNL83,448,252
IndiaIN5,000,000
United Arab EmiratesAE3,209,113
GhanaGH3,000,000
IrelandIE2,886,002
Donors not specified2,219,169
IndonesiaID1,700,000
Czech RepublicCZ1,154,401
BelgiumBE1,151,876
PolandPL1,089,466
New ZealandNZ1,000,000
MoroccoMA1,000,000
GuyanaGY1,000,000
EstoniaEE1,000,000
LuxembourgLU2
GreeceGR3
Inter-American Development Bank200,000
South AfricaZA4

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A country by country Excel report can be seen here, where the EU countries are presented separately, and the US contribution is diminished to about 460 million dollars.[12] (*Represents aid tied to 2010 earthquake relief)
US contribution is diminished to about 460 million dollars?
It should be diminished to zero. Money would be better spent
on toilet paper.

Reactions: windeguy