Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
From the New York Post (and multiple other publications):

WHO warns against COVID-19 lockdowns due to economic damage

The global poverty rate is expected to DOUBLE due to the lockdowns. DOUBLE. If this mess has sent the Canadian middle class spiralling, imagine the impact on the DR, Haiti and the rest of the developing world.

As the Karens and the sheep take a moment to catch their breath, I'd like to state again: Best practices in a 'pandemic' - isolate the VULNERABLE, not the healthy.

As a woman who has expressed my opinion since the beginning of this ridiculous crisis, I have been insulted, called a moron, selfish, a conspiracy theorist, and a psychopath. All by sanctimonious fools who (allegedly) love their fellow man more than I do, and are willing to leave their brains at the door to 'mask up to save Grandma'.

Scary how people can be so easily manipulated by fear. Anyway, my position hasn't changed, but all of this has reinforced my belief that most people are unable to think for themselves.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
From the New York Post (and multiple other publications):

WHO warns against COVID-19 lockdowns due to economic damage

The global poverty rate is expected to DOUBLE due to the lockdowns. DOUBLE. If this mess has sent the Canadian middle class spiralling, imagine the impact on the DR, Haiti and the rest of the developing world.

As the Karens and the sheep take a moment to catch their breath, I'd like to state again: Best practices in a 'pandemic' - isolate the VULNERABLE, not the healthy.

As a woman who has expressed my opinion since the beginning of this ridiculous crisis, I have been insulted, called a moron, selfish, a conspiracy theorist, and a psychopath. All by sanctimonious fools who (allegedly) love their fellow man more than I do, and are willing to leave their brains at the door to 'mask up to save Grandma'.

Scary how people can be so easily manipulated by fear. Anyway, my position hasn't changed, but all of this has reinforced my belief that most people are unable to think for themselves.

Source: Dominican Today
84.9% of 5,713 heads of households in the Dominican Republic perceive that during the quarantine period to which the population has been subjected to control the spread of the coronavirus pandemic (Covid-19), food has increased in price.

In addition, 20.7% say that there is essential food that is no longer available on the market, according to the report of the second survey on the socioeconomic impact of COVID-19 in the country conducted by various agencies of the United Nations (UN), a network of 28 non-governmental organizations and the Single System of Beneficiaries (SIUBEN).

In the section on food and nutrition, the report indicates that 37.3% of those surveyed stated that they had reduced the portion or amount of food served, and 26.8% said that they had reduced the number of meals per day.

There are more extreme cases, as 3.7% indicated that they had gone days without eating.

In addition to these concerns about food, there are also problems accessing health services, as 27.5% said that they had not accessed regular medical assistance during this period. Others have not been able to access medication for pre-existing conditions, other than COVID-19.

These and other problems have caused anxiety, depression, excessive alcohol consumption, increased tobacco use, verbal and physically aggressive behavior, among other stresses, in many families.

I said before and I will say it again.
A lot of folks are fed up with the paranoid covid freaks and their horror stories about the "what if's" in their lives.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
the whole point of restrictions of movement is to keep the hospitals from becoming overwhelmed. or at least that's been my understanding for the duration of the outbreak, due to it being very good at spreading. you sound as if you believe those efforts have been to eradicate. letting nature take it course is not a strategy for dealing with the virus, it is what happens lacking any other type of intervention.
If the media stops the fear mongering the hospitals won't be overloaded. They will get busy but the panic needs to stop. We are bombarded daily with the "number of new cases". As I have said before if you don't want new cases quit all the testing.

We are testing 3 to 4 times more people daily than when Covid first started. Why? The only number that has any effect is the death count and that is so artificially inflated the world will never know what is really going on. As Nanita pointed out she was called names for her opinion but she is 100% right in her statement of isolate the vulnerable, not the healthy.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
With proper acknowledgment to community member CDNBear, I provide this link he/she provided within another threadline.....

I responded in kind.....

"Does anybody else who took the quiz find it odd that the first question to respond to is......
Behavioral Factors
I am very worried about COVID-19.........Disagree/Neutral/Agree
Nothing like playing Fear Factor on a global scale."

Furthermore following participting in the Scary Chinese Virus questionnaire, I posted.....

"I just took the quiz, answered 100% honestly, and here are my results.......

Infection Risk
We estimate you have a 5% chance
of catching COVID-19.
The average is 11.54%
You are in the lowest risk band for catching COVID-19
5% is the equivalent of 1 in 20 people
or betting odds of 19/1.

Mortality Risk
If infected we estimate you have a 0.294% chance
of dying COVID-19.
The average is 0.418%
You are in the middle risk band for dying from COVID-19
0.294% is the equivalent of 1 in 340.14 people
or betting odds of 339.14/1.

Time for lunch.
This afternoon following lunch, cocktails of a spirited nature, not pharmaceutical."

Follow up......lunch was nice, cocktails are being enjoyed.
People should stop spreading the fear, and live their lives, as they so see fit. If you are high risk, or just plain scared....STAY HOME!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's funny how the Covid cases in DR are rising everywhere but "Zero Covid cases at Dominican airports" 😂🙃
Rising everywhere. Read the stats lately ?
Daily cases in DR have dropped from the peak of 2,000 to a little over 450 this week.
The US was a high of 78,000' day to just under 42,000
Canada started spiking in September to 2,800 / day and now down to 1,685
Testing is increasing so of course more 'cases' will be confirmed, not hospitalizations, nor fatalities, nor patients on ventilators.

At some point you have to take off the Chicken-Little Disguise and come back into the world.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Tourism aside, does anybody really, truly believe that a curfew may stand any chance of being enforced within the real RD for the 6 week time period beginning December 1st?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
That didn't translate well on google. But is kinda funny

"If you are afraid, buy you a tight dog to take care of you "

• Haha
Reactions: NotLurking

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Last week the British Medical Journal published findings that the herd immunity would save more lives than the massive lockdowns. This is also supported by statements from the WHO last week.
Great news for the "chicken fighting houses".
Its time to move on. Unfortunately the world leaders have painted themselves as such fools for almost destroying the world economy that they won't admit it.
They would sooner continue on their path of destruction than admit they screwed up.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Re - Test Results

The risk on contracting it is my worry....

The death rate is of less (if any) concern for low risk exposure.

It's all about monitoring yourself... observe the etiquette
Those unwilling or incapable need to managed to protect others.....

Just like traffic laws... any laws.... are in place for the general good/safety of the public

I think some here confuse lockdown and curfew

Again, The President's position

President Abinader requests 45 days of state of emergency

https://noticiassin.com/presidente-abin … mergencia/

President Luis Abinader requested 45 days of a state of emergency to continue with the measures in place to control the coronavirus.

Abinader explains in the letter sent to the president of the Chamber of Deputies, Alfredo Pacheco, “although the contagion of the disease has been contained thanks to the measures adopted during the state of emergency, it is still necessary to maintain some of these to ensure a orderly economic and social reopening ”.

The request made by President Abinader would take effect on October 18.

The president emphasized that social distancing is one of the most effective measures to prevent the spread of the pandemic, according to the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), which is why it is necessary continue to implement the curfew and other such measures.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
tldr;

I do not find it all that difficult to remember to try and keep a physical distance from other people. It is almost second nature now. However, there are certainly many who feel that even this is far too much to ask of them. I can sort of understand the resentment of the curfew and limits on the size of gatherings. I can understand people missing going to the movies and that it is difficult to drink a beer with a mask on. Yet I cannot fathom how at this stage anyone can seriously doubt the effects this disease can have on people, how easily it spreads and that there are those who are actively trying to stay healthy and appreciate the help and efforts of others in doing so. I get that the economy suffers from some of these measures. Tourism is circling the drain yet the fundamentals of curbing the spread of covid should no longer be in question. People have to stay away from other people. The further away you stay the less you have to wear a mask or take other precautions. Those who can't be bothered are the ones spreading this disease and causing the politicians to react as they are. The longer people fight it, the longer the S.O.E. will be renewed and the curfew will be in effect. You want your freedom in this country and an end to all of the restrictions, show that you can exercise it responsibly and help protect the next guy and the tourism economy in general. Like a moto helmet on your elbow, a mask in your hand is just another useless gesture. I don't like wearing them much but when I do, it is easy to remind myself why I suffer the discomfort when I compare it to being in a hospital or bed ridden suffering. Bringing this disease home to my wife terrifies me and if she were to die would be life altering in a very bad and unwelcome way. Maybe we need a Smokie the Bear symbol - "Only you can help slow the spread of Covid-19." We may not be able to stop this disease completely, but we can make it much safer to leave our homes and live our lives. We just have to make the correct decisions and practice safer personal interactions, all of us not just some of us.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
tldr;

I do not find it all that difficult to remember to try and keep a physical distance from other people. It is almost second nature now.

However, there are certainly many who feel that even this is far too much to ask of them.

I can sort of understand the resentment of the curfew and limits on the size of gatherings. I can understand people missing going to the movies and that it is difficult to drink a beer with a mask on. Yet I cannot fathom how at this stage anyone can seriously doubt the effects this disease can have on people, how easily it spreads and that there are those who are actively trying to stay healthy and appreciate the help and efforts of others in doing so. I get that the economy suffers from some of these measures.

Tourism is circling the drain yet the fundamentals of curbing the spread of covid should no longer be in question. People have to stay away from other people. The further away you stay the less you have to wear a mask or take other precautions. Those who can't be bothered are the ones spreading this disease and causing the politicians to react as they are.

The longer people fight it, the longer the S.O.E. will be renewed and the curfew will be in effect. You want your freedom in this country and an end to all of the restrictions, show that you can exercise it responsibly and help protect the next guy and the tourism economy in general. Like a moto helmet on your elbow, a mask in your hand is just another useless gesture.

I don't like wearing them much but when I do, it is easy to remind myself why I suffer the discomfort when I compare it to being in a hospital or bed ridden suffering. Bringing this disease home to my wife terrifies me and if she were to die would be life altering in a very bad and unwelcome way.

Maybe we need a Smokie the Bear symbol - "Only you can help slow the spread of Covid-19." We may not be able to stop this disease completely, but we can make it much safer to leave our homes and live our lives.

We just have to make the correct decisions and practice safer personal interactions, all of us not just some of us.

My sentiments exactly. Well said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.