Silence

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Sosua still had fireworks just like every other year and the music is still playing down the street as I write this. I doubt there was any traffic in town.

Reactions: David B

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I know why it' s silent in Santo Domingo: it's because they all showed up right here in Las Terrenas!!! :ROFLMAO:
I just wish I had silence too!
Although, I can't complain, the noise situation has improved since November, hope it keeps up with the good results...
(Silence is gold here in DR!!!)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Noise, music, fireworks, motos ripping up the street. My area of Jarabacoa was anything but quiet. My street itself was pretty quiet but the next street over, lots of parties.

Aug 21, 2007
Not too noisy here in Jamao until about 5:00 in the morning. Then it was obvious that a big party was going on and everyone had their fair share of alcohol. Screaming, whooping, hollering, etc. Now it’s all quiet except for the occasional moto.

Reactions: JD Jones

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Dog barked, rooster crowed, cow mooed and a burro he hawed. Other than that NYE in elcampo is normal. Silence is a common denominator here.
Luperon/LaSabana
Happy New Year
Lets hope 2021 is an improvement over 2020.
2020 hindsight vision is not so good.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Very quiet in my neighborhood. I was super surprised as I expected lots of noise and gun shots from the local rental party houses. Some local fireworks at midnight but that was about it noise wise except for the fan on my inverter recharging after a 12 hour edednorte outage.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I had two neighbors with family visiting. Both with music, both at low volume. Actually made it easier to go to sleep. I don't know what artists they were playing, but I thank my lucky stars for the neighbors I have.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
New Year's Eve and the capital is weirdly silent. Absolutely silent. Not a car on the Malecon, you can hear the waves and the sound of a solitary dog barking. I have never in 10 years seen the capital like this, it's surreal.
And the government *& tourist board thank you for you encouraging tourists to visit.........Come to DR and YAWN

nortenomore

Jul 26, 2019
Calm before the storm and people start taking to the streets. The government will decide the bribe money from the IMF to keep everyone under house arrest isn't worth it.

Watch what happens after the Saturday curfew. The Covid scam is going to unravel very quickly - and not just here.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
"When I woke up this morning things were bad, seems like total silence was the only friend I had...."
But fortunately .....................

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Calm before the storm and people start taking to the streets. The government will decide the bribe money from the IMF to keep everyone under house arrest isn't worth it.

Watch what happens after the Saturday curfew. The Covid scam is going to unravel very quickly - and not just here.

They have already backtracked on the 12 mid-day curfew for people who have been staying in resorts as they realised that this will kill that business. I can't see that they can keep on with the mid-day one for very long.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I know why it' s silent in Santo Domingo: it's because they all showed up right here in Las Terrenas!!! :ROFLMAO:
I just wish I had silence too!
Although, I can't complain, the noise situation has improved since November, hope it keeps up with the good results...
(Silence is gold here in DR!!!)
not silent were I was last night...parties everywhere (Santiago) fireworks, gunshots and best of all when I was walking home only a few blocks, the Police drove by us on a motorcycle about midnight and said happy new year...so much for the new curfew...........

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Just spoke with a friend of mine who lives in the barrios on the east side of Cabarete(Jardines Deportivo) and he said there were parties all night. Police came by but really didn't do anything.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is strangely quiet even now where I live - For a holiday. I'm not complaining and hope it continues but it is odd for this area.