Punta Cana flight to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Yes, they are required to go to a hotel for quarantine.
2% might refuse and take their chances fighting the charge.
You do realize that a good number of those flights are now cargo flights...correct?

Tui has converted some of their fleet to handle cargo. I see a flight a couple times a week flying from Greenville SC to different places in Europe. Greenville has never been a vacation hotspot for Tui.

I am certain from reading airline news, that many have converted passenger craft to cargo.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
For the regular DR AI tourist looking for a one week or two week stay, yes it’s a big additional cost. For the long term DR stayer or snowbird, the increased cost of a Covid hotel stay can be easily justified and absorbed into their travel budget.

The Canadian government is banning flights from Covid hotspot countries to placate the Premier’s of Ontario and Quebec. Surprisingly they are not prepared to close the Covid hotel loophole for returning Canadian International travellers entering through US-Canada land border crossings.

This was verified in a CBC interview yesterday with the Canadian minister in charge of restrictions for international travellers.

The government is relying on Canadians to arrive at their US destination with a negative, 72 hour prior, LAMP-PCR test. When they cross into Canada, they get a free 15 minute quick test to confirm they are still negative. The travellers detail their isolation plans with CBSA and head home where they are, “trusted”, to isolate properly. There will be random checks to ensure they are isolating and eight days into their isolation, they have to do another quick test. A bit of a pain but it beats a depressing expensive 3 day stay in a Covid concentration camp in the company of god knows who with god knows what.

The bottom line is Canadians leaving the DR will have the option to return through the US and avoid the mandatory Covid concentration camp stay, if they wish. The option is going to be around for a while.
I believe you are right on pretty much everything with one exception. If you choose to enter via a land crossing you need a PCR Test that was done in the US within 72 hours of crossing into Canada.

If you fly in, the PCR test you did here (or wherever) is considered valid if it was done within 72 hours of your connecting flight into Canada.

As I mentioned in a previous thread once you add up the PCR test, transport to the boarder, transport to your final destination, food, a possible night or 2 in a hotel, the cost to just fly in and pay the 3 day hostage fee, is in my case a lot less.

Everyone needs to do their due diligence and see what works best for them. The Canadian government is not there to make you life easy. Just consider this, today Nova Scotia closed thier boarders as they had 96 positive cases. That's less than 1 tenth of 1 percent. For the most part all levels of the Canadian government are still running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

We are a international embarrassment to the rest of the world when it comes to looking after it's citizens.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I don't know anything about Canada's government at the present time. All I would say is every government around the world have been blamed for too many restrictions or not enough. They can't win. The virus is tricky and the only solution is get people vaccinated ASAP.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I believe you are right on pretty much everything with one exception. If you choose to enter via a land crossing you need a PCR Test that was done in the US within 72 hours of crossing into Canada.

If you fly in, the PCR test you did here (or wherever) is considered valid if it was done within 72 hours of your connecting flight into Canada.

As I mentioned in a previous thread once you add up the PCR test, transport to the boarder, transport to your final destination, food, a possible night or 2 in a hotel, the cost to just fly in and pay the 3 day hostage fee, is in my case a lot less.

Everyone needs to do their due diligence and see what works best for them. The Canadian government is not there to make you life easy. Just consider this, today Nova Scotia closed thier boarders as they had 96 positive cases. That's less than 1 tenth of 1 percent. For the most part all levels of the Canadian government are still running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

We are a international embarrassment to the rest of the world when it comes to looking after it's citizens.
Your Calculation are for extreme situations. I know of 2 couples 4 persons Canadians that flew to NY and then with a 5-6 hrs layover flew to Burlington and took taxi to Canadian border and then taxi to suburb east of Montreal.
Cost for PCR test was supposed to be $200 USD each with results within max 3hrs. Once at NY airport airline personal told them to go downstair outside to tent PCR test was free (even with Canadian passport) and results in 1 hour on cell phone. Taxi to Canadian border $120 USD share by 4 persons and taxi (Private small bus) another $180 CAD shared again by 4 persons to east of Montreal.

If flew to Montreal 3 days Covid Hotel $1500-2000 CAD per person! For 4 person a lot cheaper than the covid Hotel. Even for 1 person cheaper but less. Must note via land border makes for a very long day of travel. Person I know left DR at 3 or 4 AM and arrived at the house at 8PM. Similar to flying to Europe in one country with a connecting flight to another country and then taxi to your house. Normal time Flying DR to Montreal around 4 Hrs.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A lot to learn here -----
free testing at NYC airport !! 1Hr results !

All airport border crossings are looking for Cdn riders.....
BIG source of business for the US side

IMO - going straight home (no hotel) has value....

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I don't know anything about Canada's government at the present time. All I would say is every government around the world have been blamed for too many restrictions or not enough. They can't win. The virus is tricky and the only solution is get people vaccinated ASAP.
Pretty sure no other country would put their possibly infected air travelling citizens from all over the world together for a little bus trip, instead of driving home alone to quarantine.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I
Your Calculation are for extreme situations. I know of 2 couples 4 persons Canadians that flew to NY and then with a 5-6 hrs layover flew to Burlington and took taxi to Canadian border and then taxi to suburb east of Montreal.
Cost for PCR test was supposed to be $200 USD each with results within max 3hrs. Once at NY airport airline personal told them to go downstair outside to tent PCR test was free (even with Canadian passport) and results in 1 hour on cell phone. Taxi to Canadian border $120 USD share by 4 persons and taxi (Private small bus) another $180 CAD shared again by 4 persons to east of Montreal.

If flew to Montreal 3 days Covid Hotel $1500-2000 CAD per person! For 4 person a lot cheaper than the covid Hotel. Even for 1 person cheaper but less. Must note via land border makes for a very long day of travel. Person I know left DR at 3 or 4 AM and arrived at the house at 8PM. Similar to flying to Europe in one country with a connecting flight to another country and then taxi to your house. Normal time Flying DR to Montreal around 4 Hrs.
I agree with most of what you just said. Not everyone wants or needs to go to Toronto or Montreal. There are over 100 land crossings between Canada and the United States My example was for people more to the west. You can get the 3 day quarantine in Calgary for under $1000 CDN for 2 people.

Hopefully these restrictions will be relaxed by May 21 and not be extended. I agree with being tested but why is the Canadian government throwing millions of dollars at rapid test development (antigen) and not accepting the results.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I

I agree with most of what you just said. Not everyone wants or needs to go to Toronto or Montreal. There are over 100 land crossings between Canada and the United States My example was for people more to the west. You can get the 3 day quarantine in Calgary for under $1000 CDN for 2 people.

Hopefully these restrictions will be relaxed by May 21 and not be extended. I agree with being tested but why is the Canadian government throwing millions of dollars at rapid test development (antigen) and not accepting the results.

That’s my main objection to the three day hotel stay requirement. It’s not necessary. A month before the requirement was implemented, Health Canada approved a Canadian made portable Covid quick testing technology with a low incidence of error. A small analyzer the size of a bread loaf, menu driven, and capable of being used by anyone, even children. It should be used at all airports and land crossings to reduce the need for mandatory hotel stays. Anyone entering Canada who is infected can go to a government designated facility for a free two week isolation stay. That’s what was being done with infected Canadians coming back from cruise ships and sun destinations during the first phase of the pandemic March 2020 and it worked well.

If the government had taken that approach, the impact on our airlines would be much less and it wouldn’t be necessary to bail them out.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Patrick Brown is now asking the government to close airports in Canada for "non-essential" travel. https://fb.watch/592-bgBQhe/ This is ridiculous.

The three day mandatory quarantine is almost certainly a violation of Canada's charter of human rights. Looking forward to the Court case taking it up.

If they want to require a vaccination and/or negative test, I think that's fine. But if vaccinated and/or in possession of a negative test, the quarantine restrictions are stupid.

Reactions: XTraveller

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Patrick Brown is now asking the government to close airports in Canada for "non-essential" travel. https://fb.watch/592-bgBQhe/ This is ridiculous.

The three day mandatory quarantine is almost certainly a violation of Canada's charter of human rights. Looking forward to the Court case taking it up.

If they want to require a vaccination and/or negative test, I think that's fine. But if vaccinated and/or in possession of a negative test, the quarantine restrictions are stupid.
Agree. They can ask all they want. If the government has closed international travel at airports to all countries by now, they aren’t going to close them. They seem to have a hidden agenda with airports and land crossings. Cant figure it out. No question it is politically motivated.

Yo No

Apr 10, 2021
Toronto and Santo Domingo
For the regular DR AI tourist looking for a one week or two week stay, yes it’s a big additional cost. For the long term DR stayer or snowbird, the increased cost of a Covid hotel stay can be easily justified and absorbed into their travel budget.

The Canadian government is banning flights from Covid hotspot countries to placate the Premier’s of Ontario and Quebec. Surprisingly they are not prepared to close the Covid hotel loophole for returning Canadian International travellers entering through US-Canada land border crossings.

This was verified in a CBC interview yesterday with the Canadian minister in charge of restrictions for international travellers.

The government is relying on Canadians to arrive at their US destination with a negative, 72 hour prior, LAMP-PCR test. When they cross into Canada, they get a free 15 minute quick test to confirm they are still negative. The travellers detail their isolation plans with CBSA and head home where they are, “trusted”, to isolate properly. There will be random checks to ensure they are isolating and eight days into their isolation, they have to do another quick test. A bit of a pain but it beats a depressing expensive 3 day stay in a Covid concentration camp in the company of god knows who with god knows what.

The bottom line is Canadians leaving the DR will have the option to return through the US and avoid the mandatory Covid concentration camp stay, if they wish. The option is going to be around for a while.
Could you please not use such inflammatory words as "concentration camp" It's inappropriate on many levels, particularly here on DR1. It's also inaccurate and carries unnecessary connotations that are bound to needlessly trigger and otherwise irritate many here that deserve better. Thanks.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Could you please not use such inflammatory words as "concentration camp" It's inappropriate on many levels, particularly here on DR1. It's also inaccurate and carries unnecessary connotations that are bound to needlessly trigger and otherwise irritate many here that deserve better. Thanks.

While I used the term, I can’t claim ownership of it. It is a media generated term used by angry Canadians to embarrass the government into rescinding their decision after they arbitrarily removed our freedom of movement, something guaranteed us under our Charter of Rights. Ironically brought back to Canada from Britain by Justin Trudeau’s father, Pierre when he was our Prime Minister.

Some people went so far as to say the Covid hotels are akin to the Canadian Japanese Internment camps implemented during the beginning of WW2. Upsetting to some, no doubt, and not a totally accurate comparison, but true from political perspective because the government arbitrarily implemented the Internment camps to restrict the movement of Canadian citizens of Japanese descent.

If my use of the media generated term upsets you, I apologize. That wasn’t my intent. It may be a bit extreme but it is not totally inaccurate. It was included in my posts to provoke and motivate people into thinking about the loss of their rights and the slippery slope the government put us on. Rights that were also revoked in Britain as well. Rights that are now being threatened in Canada at a provincial level. The slippery slope is getting even more slippery.

The government designated two week isolation centres for actual Infected international travellers were more palatable to the Canadian public. A place for infected Canadians to isolate in safety made sense and they actually helped to flatten the first wave. The government overstepped its political and legal bounds when they implemented mandatory Covid hotel stays for people with negative government certified Covid tests. It’s overkill and ineffective.

They are what they are regardless of what you call them. Upscale commercial jails where your surrounded by security guards for three days and can’t escape.

I admire the DR governments decision to implement the curfew and enforce it in the early stages of the pandemic to limit the infection spread. They didn’t hide behind their political skirts and play pandemic politics like Canadian politicians. Bigger cojones I guess and the DR appears to be doing better than Canada.

Yo No

Apr 10, 2021
While I used the term, I can’t claim ownership of it. It is a media generated term used by angry Canadians to embarrass the government into rescinding their decision after they arbitrarily removed our freedom of movement, something guaranteed us under our Charter of Rights. Ironically brought back to Canada from Britain by Justin Trudeau’s father, Pierre when he was our Prime Minister.

Some people went so far as to say the Covid hotels are akin to the Canadian Japanese Internment camps implemented during the beginning of WW2. Upsetting to some, no doubt, and not a totally accurate comparison, but true from political perspective because the government arbitrarily implemented the Internment camps to restrict the movement of Canadian citizens of Japanese descent.

If my use of the media generated term upsets you, I apologize. That wasn’t my intent. It may be a bit extreme but it is not totally inaccurate. It was included in my posts to provoke and motivate people into thinking about the loss of their rights and the slippery slope the government put us on. Rights that were also revoked in Britain as well. Rights that are now being threatened in Canada at a provincial level. The slippery slope is getting even more slippery.

The government designated two week isolation centres for actual Infected international travellers were more palatable to the Canadian public. A place for infected Canadians to isolate in safety made sense and they actually helped to flatten the first wave. The government overstepped its political and legal bounds when they implemented mandatory Covid hotel stays for people with negative government certified Covid tests. It’s overkill and ineffective.

They are what they are regardless of what you call them. Upscale commercial jails where your surrounded by security guards for three days and can’t escape.

I admire the DR governments decision to implement the curfew and enforce it in the early stages of the pandemic to limit the infection spread. They didn’t hide behind their political skirts and play pandemic politics like Canadian politicians. Bigger cojones I guess and the DR appears to be doing better than Canada.
I appreciate and accept your explanation, however, I hope in the future you will find a less offensive way to express yourself.

Not only that but I hope that you will now request that the mods change your words to something else. You choose what to replace them with but please nothing similar.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto

That wasn’t my intent. It may be a bit extreme but it is not totally inaccurate.
It is totally inaccurate and inappropriate, not that I am offended.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
You do realize that a good number of those flights are now cargo flights...correct?

Tui has converted some of their fleet to handle cargo. I see a flight a couple times a week flying from Greenville SC to different places in Europe. Greenville has never been a vacation hotspot for Tui.

I am certain from reading airline news, that many have converted passenger craft to cargo.
Why did you quote me?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I appreciate and accept your explanation, however, I hope in the future you will find a less offensive way to express yourself.

Not only that but I hope that you will now request that the mods change your words to something else. You choose what to replace them with but please nothing similar.
So just that I understand, you have issues with people here calling a spade a spade. When the quarantine hotels first came into effect there where several documented cases of sexual assault, thefts of personal belongings, rancid food and the list is pretty much endless of the indignities that CANADIAN CITIZENS had to put up with in these poorly planned concentration camps because the federal government couldn't find there way out of a wet paper bag.

The internment camps of WWII where better run. For reasons unknown to any of us, law abiding Canadian citizens are being punished for doing nothing wrong. There is no law against traveling outside Canada and returning.

With 2 posts under your belt I'm guessing you a returning snowflake looking to stir the pot. Good luck. Better flakes have tried.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
So just that I understand, you have issues with people here calling a spade a spade. When the quarantine hotels first came into effect there where several documented cases of sexual assault, thefts of personal belongings, rancid food and the list is pretty much endless of the indignities that CANADIAN CITIZENS had to put up with in these poorly planned concentration camps because the federal government couldn't find there way out of a wet paper bag.

The internment camps of WWII where better run. For reasons unknown to any of us, law abiding Canadian citizens are being punished for doing nothing wrong. There is no law against traveling outside Canada and returning.

With 2 posts under your belt I'm guessing you a returning snowflake looking to stir the pot. Good luck. Better flakes have tried.
They did it because too many selfish aholes were violating the mandatory quarantine and the government screwed up by giving over 40,000 warnings instead of punishing those who deserved it.

From shortly after the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor until 1949, Japanese Canadians were stripped of their homes and businesses, then sent to internment camps and farms in British Columbia as well as in some other parts of Canada.[3] The internment in Canada included the theft, seizure, and sale of property belonging to this forcefully displaced population, which included fishing boats, motor vehicles, houses, farms, businesses, and personal belongings. Japanese Canadians were forced to use the proceeds of forced sales to pay for their basic needs during the internment.

Yo No

Apr 10, 2021

You don't seem to understand at all.

I could not care less about you, your politics, or whatever Canadian issues you're going on about.

I took issue with the words another poster chose to use. Nothing at all to do with you. Your petty judgments, insults, childish namecalling, and insinuations are telling.

Post counts mean nothing. You have almost 2600 posts, mostly crap. :devilish:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The name of this thread is Punta Cana flights to Toronto. If you do not care about Canadian issues and how it's government treats citizens like criminals with Nazi style concentration camps, why are you reading this thread.

Thank you for reading all 2600 of my posts and thinking they are mostly crap. It is a very gifted and unique style to piss someone off 2600 times and yet they still keep reading. Unless of course they haven't read them and are just using petty judgements, childish name calling etc, etc.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

No. I won’t be requesting that the mods change the wording of some of my previous posts on the Covid concentration camps. The last time I checked we live in a democratic society where freedom of expression is allowed. I tried taking the high road with you. Obviously that didn’t work.

I’ve been a member of DR1 since 2015 and there have been times I’ve overstepped the literary boundaries of DR1, more so since the OT thread has been eliminated. Despite that, I still stand by what I say and how I say it.

Judging by your less than courteous response to Melphis’s previous post, I’m having regrets about offering you that apology. As a member of DR1 you always have the option of not reading posts you find offensive. I suggest you pursue that option in the future.

The US didn’t implement mandatory Covid concentration camp stays. They knew their citizens wouldn’t lie down and let them do it and they trusted their citizens to do the right thing. The Canadian infection rate is exceeding the US on a per capita basis despite the travel restrictions and the US is now doing much better than Canada on vaccinations. The US airline industry is doing extremely well compared to the Canadian airline because of the reasonable US travel restrictions.

The DR government never restricted their citizens from international travel and they enforced an effective curfew which is helping to reduce infection spread. Reasonable initiatives. They are doing better than Canada in many ways as a result of this reasonable approach.

Any government that arbitrarily removes citizens rights should be taken to task for it. I take my democratic freedoms very seriously. My relatives fought in wars to guarantee me those freedoms. They must be spinning in their graves now.

Status
Not open for further replies.