Do we have to be "WOKE" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have been seeing a lot of pushback on the childish woke movement the past couple of weeks, from the likes of Seinfeld, Leno and Bill Maher and James Carville..
Do we have to sign up to be woke to be a DR1 member ? I don't think this qualifies as a political viewpoint, and certainly we should not criticize those with such mis-guided opinions on a forum.
I certainly hope not becuase I came to DR to get away from some of the absurdities of the far north.

I suspect I am probably the last person that will ever become or even try to become woke - so will I be an be an outcast if I do not profess by awakening ?

I am a heterosexual and if anyone says "cisgender" to me I will refuse to hear such made-up words.

My pronouns have been around a long time, no need to reinvent them. I doubt that trend catches on.

I ran track and wrestled in High School and College - but I never tried out for the woman's team, although the though of showering with them did periodically cross my mind, especially after the movie Porky's.

Anyone else not boarding the Woke bandwagon ? Will we be censored if we can not be converted ?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have been seeing a lot of pushback on the childish woke movement the past couple of weeks, from the likes of Seinfeld, Leno and Bill Maher and James Carville..
Do we have to sign up to be woke to be a DR1 member ? I don't think this qualifies as a political viewpoint, and certainly we should not criticize those with such mis-guided opinions on a forum.
I certainly hope not becuase I came to DR to get away from some of the absurdities of the far north.

I suspect I am probably the last person that will ever become or even try to become woke - so will I be an be an outcast if I do not profess by awakening ?

I am a heterosexual and if anyone says "cisgender" to me I will refuse to hear such made-up words.

My pronouns have been around a long time, no need to reinvent them. I doubt that trend catches on.

I ran track and wrestled in High School and College - but I never tried out for the woman's team, although the though of showering with them did periodically cross my mind, especially after the movie Porky's.

Anyone else not boarding the Woke bandwagon ? Will we be censored if we can not be converted ?

CB, you raise a very interesting point, at least for me. It really boils down to as the USA descends into more and more stupidity, why would I want to live there?
Here I have better weather, everything is cheaper by 25 - 50%, and people not going bonkers over wokeness. Why do I want to go back?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I haven't been out of my cave in a few days so could someone please enlighten me as to what woke is.
I'm basically to lazy to look it up myself as there is to much gibberish out there for me to wade through.
Thanks

Reactions: drstock

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Haha, I was talking with my youngest son the other day (34 years old ) and he made the comment that he had always considered himself pretty woke, but must be getting more conservative as he was finding it all a bunch of crap and he was just going to go with the golden rule.

Reactions: chico bill

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
We are free men and we can reject and be critical of evil woke ever coming to the DR. Seems most of the western world is losing free speech as woke restricts the words we can use, imprisons and/or "unemployees" those that speak their opinions.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I still smile at girls.... pat them on the shoulder.....make small talk....

Not in NoAmerica !! that's for sure !!!!

RD for me !!!
Morning Bill.

Imagine the WOKE shock to our Newfoundland culture where everyone gets a hug and we use terms like my love, my darling, to address women all the time.

I like our cultural norms and I like the cultural norms in the DR because they are similar to ours.

Political pendulums swing far right and far left, as you well know. In the US it will eventually settle in the middle or close to it. The WOKE movement is short lived phenomena. Like hemorrhoids, irritating but there are remedies and they fade with time.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Morning Bill.

Imagine the WOKE shock to our Newfoundland culture where everyone gets a hug and we use terms like my love, my darling, to address women all the time.

I like our cultural norms and I like the cultural norms in the DR because they are similar to ours.

Political pendulums swing far right and far left, as you well know. In the US it will eventually settle in the middle or close to it. The WOKE movement is short lived phenomena. Like hemorrhoids, irritating but there are remedies and they fade with time.
Great comparison - Woke = Hemorrhoids

But it is not just occurring the US - in fact it's all of the Western World falling over themselves to embrace this stupidity, reinventing pronouns and representing whiteness as an abomination (as if skin color is something you can control) or providing 7-year old children puberty-blockers, or calls for dismantling all police. Or labeling Sleeping Beauty as a male chauvinist abuse story

Something tells me the pendulum may be getting ready to swing back big time to reject Woke and it maybe starting first in France ?
Let's hope there is "Preparation W" for Woke.

I would like to hear from some DR members who consider themselves woke and what they think it does to help society.

And to hear from more Latinos who find it absurd looking at it from fresh eyes - maybe we gringos can't stop this movement in Europe, US or Canada but we can warn Latinos to construct a Woke-Firewall for their countries, to keep out this scourge.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Woke is a term that refers to awareness of issues that concern social justice and racial justice. It is sometimes used in the African-American Vernacular English expression stay woke. Wikipedia ----- I had to look it up .

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Last edited:

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003

All "movements" are like television sets. If you are not interested, don't want to watch or don't want to listen, just tune it out or switch channels.
No need to be a lemming.

fgu

Status
Not open for further replies.