US has awakened to situation on the ground

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I stand corrected. I thought it was like Francophone countries in Africa where thr entire system of education is in French.
Local languages are for home and the street (because there are often several local languages spoken, French is kinda of the "unifying" language).

Just like Haiti, the mastery of French is a clear indication of the education level of a person. However, most people who finish primary school speak fluently.

In Haiti, French is reserved for those that can send their kids to expensive schools. The bulk of kids only learn Kreyol.
There’s no 20% of the population speaking French in Haiti. If any, a bit about 10% representing the economic realities of that failed state.

Been to Haiti far too many times and over the years. Nothing has changed there, ever.

Haitians have a name for those Haitians speaking French. A very derogatory one.

There are two worlds in Haiti. One for the French tuituitui and the other real one for the vast majority.

Haitians don’t pay mind to gov talk, more so because they had always put everything out in French. Majority of Haitians are not banked.
Don’t go to fancy shops. Don’t patronize ritzy restaurants.

And no, they don’t speak French.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

French is my first language, I did notice. Although i know a couple ones who do speak french very well here jn DR.

I passed on renting a house recently because the Haitian caretaker spoke 0 Spanish, and I could Not understand him. Felt bad but I need to be able to communicate.

Reactions: mountainannie

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
It’s a reality of Haiti’s segregated education.

Those who can leave the country easier, tend to have a robust education background in French.
But the vast majority is locked into Kreyol by economic and social disparities.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Since the actual Title of the Thread was about the US awakening to the situation on the ground in Haiti -
The US House of Representatives Foreign Relations Committee had a full committee hearing (available on U Tube)
the result of which was this letter to Secretary Blinken - signed by all members - Democrats and Republican alike.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Hmm...
Geopolitics.
They would love to own a piece of real estate on America's door step.
Yes - It was mentioned at the Foreign Affairs committee hearing that Haiti is one of only 17 nations that does not recognize China but only Taiwan. Representatives questioned the former ambassador, Pamela White, whether or not Haiti would maintain that? or be better off with China? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_and_Road_Initiative

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
In Haiti, French is reserved for those that can send their kids to expensive schools. The bulk of kids only learn Kreyol.
There’s no 20% of the population speaking French in Haiti. If any, a bit about 10% representing the economic realities of that failed state.

Been to Haiti far too many times and over the years. Nothing has changed there, ever.

Haitians have a name for those Haitians speaking French. A very derogatory one.

There are two worlds in Haiti. One for the French tuituitui and the other real one for the vast majority.

Haitians don’t pay mind to gov talk, more so because they had always put everything out in French. Majority of Haitians are not banked.
Don’t go to fancy shops. Don’t patronize ritzy restaurants.

RE: the Haitians & French
?? Whether the French that is spoken by the Haitians in Haiti is a pure French???

?? Whether the opposition to the government opposition is organized??

?? Whether the Haitian Diaspora - both in Montreal & around the world - are not involved with the conditions in Haiti??

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
RE: the Haitians & French
?? Whether the French that is spoken by the Haitians in Haiti is a pure French???

?? Whether the opposition to the government opposition is organized??

?? Whether the Haitian Diaspora - both in Montreal & around the world - are not involved with the conditions in Haiti??

Those who are fluent in Spanish will find that they will be most likely to understand a great deal of this after listening for 7 minutes or so...
I suspect that there are more than a few here on this Board who have these 3 of the 6 official languages of the UN