Car won't shut down!

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2015. When I want to turn it off I normally put it in Park, Press the ignition switch (keyless) and everything shuts off. However, now only the engine and A/C shut down, the ACC stays on and I get a message displayed saying something like Need to put vehicle in Park in order to turn it off.

Torfilco in PP sent us to a taller in La Rigola but the person did not have time to look at it. We went to Santiago to a taller who repairs mainly Hyundais. He had never seen that problem and needs to take everything apart in order to identify the problem but did not have time yesterday.

We went to VegaMobil in La Vega where we bought the vehicle... they sent us to a taller electrico who dismantled the ignition switch and says this is the part that is wrong. He did not have a replacement part and sent us to 2 mataderos (like scrap yards) and could not find the right part. We went back to the taller electrico who says we need to order the part from the US and he will install it. And if it is not the right part?????

Looking on the Hyundai forum, there seems to be another possibility ie there is a switch near the shift lever whose job is to confirm that the vehicle in in Park and they provide part # etc.

Who in PP or Santiago can identify the real problem, order the part and install it???? I cannot second guess taller electrico who may or may not know what to do and then tell me to order an ignition switch myself!

Help please!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Electrical gremlins are hard to find without proper diagnostic tools. If the parts are not overly expensive I would order them both as if its already apart less chance of screwing it up the second or third time.

Before you order anything disconnect the negative post on the battery. Let it sit about 10 minutes then reconnect it. This resets the computer and may fix the issue.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Electrical gremlins are hard to find without proper diagnostic tools. If the parts are not overly expensive I would order them both as if its already apart less chance of screwing it up the second or third time.

Before you order anything disconnect the negative post on the battery. Let it sit about 10 minutes then reconnect it. This resets the computer and may fix the issue.
You beat me to it.

Disconnect the battery first, Then turn on the lights even though the battery is disconnected. Wait for a few minutes then reconnect the battery.

Jan 9, 2004
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2015. When I want to turn it off I normally put it in Park, Press the ignition switch (keyless) and everything shuts off. However, now only the engine and A/C shut down, the ACC stays on and I get a message displayed saying something like Need to put vehicle in Park in order to turn it off.

Torfilco in PP sent us to a taller in La Rigola but the person did not have time to look at it. We went to Santiago to a taller who repairs mainly Hyundais. He had never seen that problem and needs to take everything apart in order to identify the problem but did not have time yesterday.

We went to VegaMobil in La Vega where we bought the vehicle... they sent us to a taller electrico who dismantled the ignition switch and says this is the part that is wrong. He did not have a replacement part and sent us to 2 mataderos (like scrap yards) and could not find the right part. We went back to the taller electrico who says we need to order the part from the US and he will install it. And if it is not the right part?????

Looking on the Hyundai forum, there seems to be another possibility ie there is a switch near the shift lever whose job is to confirm that the vehicle in in Park and they provide part # etc.

Who in PP or Santiago can identify the real problem, order the part and install it???? I cannot second guess taller electrico who may or may not know what to do and then tell me to order an ignition switch myself!

Help please!
The problem is likely the relay switch in the shifter.

Try juggling (short term solution) the shifter in and out of park.

It is not a common problem..........but has been identified in various tsb's (technical service bulletins) from Hyundai.

If it is the relay switch, the Hyundai dealer should replace it without charge. Problem is you will need to take it to the authorized dealer for the DR. If you are on the north coast that would be Magna Motors in Santiago.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
The problem is likely the relay switch in the shifter.

Try juggling (short term solution) the shifter in and out of park.

It is not a common problem..........but has been identified in various tsb's (technical service bulletins) from Hyundai.

If it is the relay switch, the Hyundai dealer should replace it without charge. Problem is you will need to take it to the authorized dealer for the DR. If you are on the north coast that would be Magna Motors in Santiago.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Spoke to magna Motors in SD and they said they only service Hyundai vehicles that were purchased there and imported by them.

The car was bought at auction and sold to us by VegaMobil. They sent us to a electrical taller

"Jiggling the shifter in and out of park" before or after I attempt to shut it down?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Spoke to magna Motors in SD and they said they only service Hyundai vehicles that were purchased there and imported by them.

The car was bought at auction and sold to us by VegaMobil. They sent us to a electrical taller

"Jiggling the shifter in and out of park" before or after I attempt to shut it down?

That doesn't sound right to me. Maybe they don't do warranty work? I'd investigate that a little further.

But then again, do you want somebody working on your car who doesn't want to?

Jan 9, 2004

Try both.

Also, to see if there is recall on your vehicle, go to the Hyundai website and input your VIN number (found on the lower right
corner of your windshield......and various other places).

If there is recall for your problem, Magna Motors must fix the problem whether purchased there or not.

As I said there are a number of complaints for your model having to do with this very same issue. It is likely either the relay switch (mechanical) or there is a software issue update for something identified as the TPMS (transmission). It is not a mechanical transmission problem....but is software related.

Good luck,

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Try both.

Also, to see if there is recall on your vehicle, go to the Hyundai website and input your VIN number (found on the lower right

If there is recall for your problem, Magna Motors must fix the problem whether purchased there or not.

As I said there are a number of complaints for your model having to do with this very same issue. It is likely either the relay switch (mechanical) or there is a software issue update for something identified as the TPMS (transmission). It is not a mechanical transmission problem....but is software related.

Good luck,

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
there are no recalls, I checked yesterday. Will try Magna Motors again.

Jan 9, 2004
there are no recalls, I checked yesterday. Will try Magna Motors again.
Try to find a larger/modern repair facility/dealership that has good diagnostic tools. I am not referring to those handheld diagnostic OBDII scanners available at AutoZone and elsewhere for $99.00............they proliferate in the DR and elsewhere, but are sorely lacking at advanced diagnostic testing.

Magna has such tools and should at least be able to diagnose the problem..........even if they will not then repair it.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Try both.

Good luck,

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
No they don’t! Even in Canada when you by US car no cross border warranty..

Jan 9, 2004
No they don’t! Even in Canada when you by US car no cross border warranty..
First, my post you disagree with referenced recalls...............not cross border warranty claims.

Second, if Hyundai did issue a recall, they will honor and fix it wherever it is located. 1 (800) 633-5151

Third, to address your statement, yes, some manufacturers will honor cross border warranties between the US/Canada. One of my clients bought and brought in hundreds of Canadian vehicles when the value of the Loon was in the dumpster. Nissan and Ford honored the warranties and Chrysler did not. Some needed to have dash clusters replaced to reflect miles and others had to switch out the Canadian headlights...............but the warranties were honored.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
First, my post you disagree with referenced recalls...............not cross border warranty claims.

Second, if Hyundai did issue a recall, they will honor and fix it wherever it is located. 1 (800) 633-5151

Third, to address your statement, yes, some manufacturers will honor cross border warranties between the US/Canada. One of my clients bought and brought in hundreds of Canadian vehicles when the value of the Loon was in the dumpster. Nissan and Ford honored the warranties and Chrysler did not. Some needed to have dash clusters replaced to reflect miles and others had to switch out the Canadian headlights...............but the warranties were honored.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Ya but this is Dominican… good luck telling them they must..plus your friends ventures where a while ago rules have changed because of that kinda stuff and dealers complaining here..

Jan 9, 2004
Ya but this is Dominican… good luck telling them they must..plus your friends ventures where a while ago rules have changed because of that kinda stuff and dealers complaining here..
You don't have to tell them they must...........in the case involving the OP, if it were under a recall, a call to the number I posted above will get the call from Hyundai to the DR dealer...........telling them they must perform the recall service. Hyundai holds far more sway over its dealer network than any consumer.

As to the rules have changed..........yes they have.........but there are still cross border warranties between the US/Canada in spite of your statement to the contrary above;

https://www.apa.ca/CanadianWarrantyinformationonnewcarsboughtintheUS.asp

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

Help please!
Assuming the gear selector is on the floor, pop off the boot and look for a switch that would tell the car that it is in park. I had a similar problem, and that switch was not working correctly. It also may be loose. You may be able to do fool around with the switch or override it as a temporary solution.
When I did that with my rental, I later noticed a lot of scratch and pry marks around that boot, so apparently someone else had the same problem and never fixed it correctly.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
You don't have to tell them they must...........in the case involving the OP, if it were under a recall, a call to the number I posted above will get the call from Hyundai to the DR dealer...........telling them they must perform the recall service. Hyundai holds far more sway over its dealer network than any consumer.

As to the rules have changed..........yes they have.........but there are still cross border warranties between the US/Canada in spite of your statement to the contrary above;

https://www.apa.ca/CanadianWarrantyinformationonnewcarsboughtintheUS.asp

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Did you even look at what is offered before speaking ?hardly any one offers full warranty most you get shit on stick.. really doesn’t matter good luck forcing dealer here in DR to to good for car bought in US..

Reactions: SKY
Jan 9, 2004
Did you even look at what is offered before speaking ?hardly any one offers full warranty most you get shit on stick.. really doesn’t matter good luck forcing dealer here in DR to to good for car bought in US..
Of course I did…..and have first hand knowledge.

Did you bother to even check before you inaccurately stated there are no cross border warranties when you buy a car in the US and take it to Canada?

As to forcing a dealer in the DR to [do] good for [a] car bought in the US that is just more inaccuracies on your part. I brought in 11 Nisssn Leafs in June as part of a tourist project and two are at Nissan in SD having recalled air bag inflators replaced.

Finally, do you have something constructive to offer the OP for their issue, or will you just continue to post your inaccurate and non topic related thoughts?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
So far I have confirmed there is no recall on my Santa Fe.
I have tried giggling the shifter, before and after shutting it down.
I have tried disconnecting the battery and turning lights on for 5 mins. No change.
I have disconnected the battery overnight. No change.

I will call Magna Motors again on Monday! ...and keep you all posted. Meanwhile I am getting good at disconnecting the battery whenever I want to stop the ACC!!

Reactions: Se fue la luz
Jan 9, 2004
So far I have confirmed there is no recall on my Santa Fe.
I have tried giggling the shifter, before and after shutting it down.
I have tried disconnecting the battery and turning lights on for 5 mins. No change.
I have disconnected the battery overnight. No change.

I will call Magna Motors again on Monday! ...and keep you all posted. Meanwhile I am getting good at disconnecting the battery whenever I want to stop the ACC!!
Your issue raises two important points going forward.

As vehicles get more sophisticated electronics (this started pretty much with the 2016/2017 and newer models, it takes more sophisticated and costly equipment to diagnose/service them.

Additionally, for those purchasing a car in those years and newer you will be tied more and more to the manufacturers authorized dealer or to those who purchase the expensive diagnostic equipment needed for today's vehicles..

Why Magna would not even offer to help you makes no sense. Most dealers survive on their service departments.

Finally, 40% of the cost of a new car is said to be because of its electronics. Fast ending are the days when the two most important items were the motor and transmission. While they are still important components (unless you have an EV), it is the software and electronic chips that control them that have become the major warranty issues........and they are costly to repair.

In the end I believe it will be a simple fix. The problem is finding someone who can correctly identify the actual issue and then fix it.

Moral of the story, at least in the DR, if you have an older vehicle keep it.................and keep it well maintained...........at least and until the sophistication level of the diagnostic and repair industry catches up with the newer technology.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Not sure if it's related to the Hyundai, but I had a similar issue with my Toyota Highlander. When I switched the car off and walked away, the radio came on all by itself. The reason I found out, is that my phone automatically connected its bluetooth when I was sat in a restaurant nearby.

It took me a while to find the problem, but it was related to a blocked sunroof drain. The passenger footwell had filled with water and some electrical connectors got wet causing the fault.

After clearing the blocked drain and drying it out, the problem was fixed. Modern sunroofs aren't water tight. They usually leak into a ledge beneath the opening and water is drained out through the pillars. If the drains are blocked, the car fills with water which can cause electrical gremlins.

I hate sunroofs. Stupid idea. Don't think I've ever opened mine. My car has AC after all, as do most these days. What's the point of a sunroof?

Reactions: Neargale and cavok