Exchanging a foreign covid certificate to a DR recognized one

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Hi all. This is NOT a debate on whether to get the vaccine or not, purely a question on paperwork. I have an EU Covid Vaccine certificate - is it possible to exchange it for a DR recognized one? I do not know if certificates are widely needed in Santo Domingo specifically, but should they become necessary for certain activities I would be interested in finding out if foreign certificates are recognized, or if they can be exchanged for one that is recognized.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I do not know for sure but familiarity with DR processes leads me to believe that exchanging what you have for a DR certificate may prove difficult if possible at all. As long as your EU cert. states the vaccine name and the dates you got each shot, it should be acceptable here. If you want to get really proactive you can have your document translated into Spanish but that should not be necessary if it is easy to read what you got and when.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
I do not know for sure but familiarity with DR processes leads me to believe that exchanging what you have for a DR certificate may prove difficult if possible at all. As long as your EU cert. states the vaccine name and the dates you got each shot, it should be acceptable here. If you want to get really proactive you can have your document translated into Spanish but that should not be necessary if it is easy to read what you got and when.
Thank you, we have it in paper form (with a QR code, probably useless in DR) as well as in an App. Let's hope DR is easier than here where it's needed pretty much everywhere.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The answer is NO ,, It is as Cdn Gringo says .. I wanted to have my third shot out of the DR and have it recorded on my DR card but my vaccination centre said no ..but it is possible you will get a different response. You will have trouble here as it rarely needed

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
The answer is NO ,, It is as Cdn Gringo says .. I wanted to have my third shot out of the DR and have it recorded on my DR card but my vaccination centre said no ..but it is possible you will get a different response. You will have trouble here as it rarely needed
Thanks, I suppose it's just a case of waiting to see. In the EU some countries have put in place a way of exchanging foreign non EU records to EU compliant ones by generating QR codes. There is a lot of confusion with folks who have one shot in one country and another in another country. All very confusing

Aug 21, 2007
DRThe answer is NO ,, It is as Cdn Gringo says .. I wanted to have my third shot out of the DR and have it recorded on my DR card but my vaccination centre said no ..but it is possible you will get a different response. You will have trouble here as it rarely needed
We had two shots here a third shot in the US - the Johnson and Johnson vaccine (which is a one shot dose.) We have a US vaccination card and a DR one. If, in the upcoming year it is proven- as they now believe- that the vaccines become less effective over time, then we will get a booster in the DR and simply not show them the US card. Until then, we will not overdo it.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes that seems the way to go . I have had 2 Sinovac shots and 2 Pfizer shots and I have two DR cards . I hope to get my booster when I am in Europe or UK early next year and think I will then carry 3 cards . If I have my booster here,I also think they will give me a new card. As you know Dominicans like stamps on everything but my Pfizer DR card is without a stamp .

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Can a Canadian buy a shot in Dr
Already have 2 shots,but kinda leaning towards getting a third shot for a booster

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Show up to a clinic with your passport and fill out the form. They should give you a pfizer shot and possibly schedule you for a second dose in a months time.

Reactions: thompstr

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Yes that seems the way to go . I have had 2 Sinovac shots and 2 Pfizer shots and I have two DR cards . I hope to get my booster when I am in Europe or UK early next year and think I will then carry 3 cards . If I have my booster here,I also think they will give me a new card. As you know Dominicans like stamps on everything but my Pfizer DR card is without a stamp .
2 Sinovac 2 Pfizer + a booster in a few months :oops: just saying..

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
I would rather be interested in knowing how to validate DR Pfizer vaccination card into EU QR code...
IT depends which country in the EU you go to, or are in. But where I am you need to upload your vaxx info online and then they email you with a QR code (you must be in country to do so) You then upload the QR code to the App and you are all set. I am not sure if all EU countries have a system in place yet, but many do.

Feb 7, 2007
IT depends which country in the EU you go to, or are in. But where I am you need to upload your vaxx info online and then they email you with a QR code (you must be in country to do so) You then upload the QR code to the App and you are all set. I am not sure if all EU countries have a system in place yet, but many do.

Which EU country is this? Do you need to be citizen of it, or just being present there when you request the code ?

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
More or less the same in the Netherlands:

You can register in an app and upload your vaccination card (secured by using your personal ID). However it is also possible to show a paper form which has the same info as the one behind the QR code in the app.
Expect it will be mandatory for more services e.g. hotel reservations, ticket reservation etc.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Now that proving that you are vaccinated is mandatory to enter so many premises, I just want to know if anyone has experienced what happens if they have been vaccinated abroad? Do the people on the entrance recognise foreign vaccination passports?