Speed bumps everywhere!

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
too many stupid posts and too many stupid reply's, as the saying goes "if you don't like the heat get out of the kitchen"

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Personally, I don't question the efficacy of lowering the speeds. That's not my issue. The issue is the following. Do they prevent stupid people from crossing them at 100 mph? A BIG FAT NOOOOO! So who do they mostly affect? Well, you have to consider that although there are MANY who show total disregard for any kind of decency in traffic, the vast majority actually don't act that way. So then just to take it on a personal level. Before the speed bumps through Sosúa beach, there were only traffic jams on bigger holidays, such as Semana Santa. Now, EVERY DAY there's a traffic jam to and from Sosúa! And personally, I don't like to have to add about 30 minutes to my daily routine just being stuck in traffic. Secondly, before the speedbumps, I would get around 25-26mpg, and after the speedbumps, it's now around 21-22 mpg, and I've not changed how I drive, just more stop and go. And to that point as well, as many of those speedbumps are really badly made, they increasemost anything that will reduce the deaths.
Traffic between PP and Sosua is terrible,
Only fix is to widen the road and likely to happen sooner or later.
Friday afternoons are the worst with drivers all over the lanes in every direction, passing on the right and driving off the road to pass.
Only good thing is no one is speeding and no lives are lost, well, maybe the motos ,but they are a whole other topic and out of control.

Rather than face this awful commute I would move nearer the job.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
There are more now, in Puerto Plata I saw a few new ones. They are the only thing that controls the speed in reality. But they also cause new issues which are traffic jams, pasolas will get caught on them as well so they need to go slow and of course people get frustrated and do their thing. Some people will go excessively slow over them even in vehicles that have ground clearance or prepare prematurely for them. You need to be careful at night cause half the time they don't have any yellow paint on them or it get dull quickly from the sun or bottom scrapes. Especially at night

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Traffic between PP and Sosua is terrible,
Only fix is to widen the road and likely to happen sooner or later.
Friday afternoons are the worst with drivers all over the lanes in every direction, passing on the right and driving off the road to pass.
Only good thing is no one is speeding and no lives are lost, well, maybe the motos ,but they are a whole other topic and out of control.

Rather than face this awful commute I would move nearer the job.
I don't even want to imagine this, to be honest, they should have a sailboat ferry ( joking, kind of ) comes down to proper driver education here too. Going 25 kmph when they should be going at least 85 kmph creates many pissed-off people myself included and I want to blow past them as quickly as I can before somebody rams the back of my bike and I become a pogo stick. Everyone hates on the motos but until you drive one here you cant say anything

- Why I pass you or overtake you.
A: I am scared because you're going too slow and assume you're drunk or on your phone so I overtake you. I see you playing with your break lights; I am going cause you don't know how to drive

- Why I will occasionally go against traffic. A: cause nobody will ever let me in so it's safer than being in the middle of the road waiting to turn left.

- Why I pass you on a speed bump. A: cause you're slow and I dont want someone to bumper-kiss my rear.

- Why I lane split. A: cause I can but also cause the excessively slow vehicles drive me insane so I like to go to the front to get a head start.

- Why my bike is a bit loud. A: so people hear me, there is a lot of noise pollution here and horns when driving in a relaxed context are ignored, but not an engine.

- Why I go through red lights. A: I am not sitting there on the right waiting for some idiot to hit me or try to sell me something; if there is nobody coming I go cause if I can I will. If there are cars coming I won't nor will I try to merge myself?

- Why I will just blow past you. A: I saw you had an interest in two lanes at once, I am gone; cause I am assuming you either have one eye and names jack sparrow or your IQ is the same number as the temp in C*

This is coming from a Canadian I have a squeaky clean drivers record in both countries :)

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
There are more now, in Puerto Plata I saw a few new ones. They are the only thing that controls the speed in reality. But they also cause new issues which are traffic jams, pasolas will get caught on them as well so they need to go slow and of course people get frustrated and do their thing. Some people will go excessively slow over them even in vehicles that have ground clearance or prepare prematurely for them. You need to be careful at night cause half the time they don't have any yellow paint on them or it get dull quickly from the sun or bottom scrapes. Especially at night
they had a new speed bump near the turnoff to Luperon from the ighway to puerto plata. It caused numerous accidents with people jamming on the brakes or running over it at high speeds.They removed it

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I can
they had a new speed bump near the turnoff to Luperon from the ighway to puerto plata. It caused numerous accidents with people jamming on the brakes or running over it at high speeds.They removed it
I can imagine; from what I observe though with the speed bumps and such people get frustrated from others going so slow then they try to pass ( bump or no bump ) half the accidents here are just from slow drivers, slow drivers that put their blinker on when you try to overtake them and turn. simplified its the lack of respect and awareness of their personal surrounding and mechanical surroundings, that's fixed with proper education and cultural adjustments to understanding cause and effect. to unpack; it wont make a difference it only temporarily slows vehicles but creates a clusters.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I have known more than a few of the dreaded speedbumps in the D.R.
Punta Cana, Bavaro, El Cortecito were all awash with them.
Having to deal with them when you know they're there is a huge annoyance but... when they catch you unaware, they can be mind,
body and soul shattering.
The one that would catch me off guard every time was at cruce de Pavon on the road from Higuey to El Seibo.
That one was a "policia acostado" on steroids.
Kaboom.
Shake, rattle and roll. ( I was driving a jeep.)
Shit.
Damnit.
I don't miss them one little bit.