Retire in Dominican Republic: To Be or Not to Be?

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
Looks like they were getting paid for appearances, use of their name, and the sales of lots and promises. When things turned sour, investors lost millions. The Trump name is not what it use to be. More people are getting wise toward him.

Jan 9, 2004
Looks like they were getting paid for appearances, use of their name, and the sales of lots and promises. When things turned sour, investors lost millions. The Trump name is not what it use to be. More people are getting wise toward him.
Exactly.

They sold their name only, along with obligatory appearance promotions. That was the extent of their involvement. They also lost millions............5.8 according to their lawsuit against Cap Cana..........Trump Marks Real Estate LLC vs. Cap. Cana S.A. et al.

It is a strategy employed by countless hotel chains......................sell the name........but not the costs to build and run.......lots of examples in the DR.

But the individual who has developed his name/brand into a global hotel/business empire is none other than that laid back parrot head Jimmy Buffett................no relation to Warren of Berkshire fame.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Daniel Vasilaky writes that the upsides include a low cost of living and uplifting climate (except during hurricane season in the fall).

Downsides are if you buy property the property is often ambiguously demarcated and driving is a lot more frantic than what you're probably used to.
Hijo comments that yea, you too can have a low cost of living eating arroz con huevo and living in a wood shack with illegal power connection.

Hijo further comments he is beside himself with Daniel's profundity of insight.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hijo comments that yea, you too can have a low cost of living eating arroz con huevo and living in a wood shack with illegal power connection.

Hijo further comments he is beside himself with Daniel's profundity of insight.
Well, felt like mini-hurricane here in Jarabacoa this afternoon, but the power and internet stayed on. Cost of living has definitely gone up, but still cheap for most fruit and veggies. Electrical bill is still under 50 dollars a month, water is cheap, and since I only drink one beer on Friday night it is pretty cheap for drinking for me. Yes the climate is very nice here in the mountains and there are less mosquitos and black flies than where I originally come from.

Reactions: XTraveller

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Daniel Vasilaky adds there is little red-tape in DR. Say you retire there and want to run a little bar or something, relatively easy to get started. Daniel Vasilaky adds the downside to that can be an ambiguous legal apparatus for property ownership (see my post above).
Mr money manager adds that running a "little bar" is a losing proposition