Trying to emerge from the dark ages

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I’m wondering if I’m the only one left with a DISH satallite for tv? This year I have had to stop feeding my cat so I can pay the 2,000USA cost of keeping the service. And I only watch sports and news. However, I record then watch when I want to.
An looking for some direction in accessing a streaming service primarily for sports with some news. I would need to be able to record the event to watch later. You have to know that my technical expertise consists of finding the right remote to use of the 2 that are available.
I will look for an appropriate kid to read and explain all replies.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
I’m wondering if I’m the only one left with a DISH satallite for tv? This year I have had to stop feeding my cat so I can pay the 2,000USA cost of keeping the service. And I only watch sports and news. However, I record then watch when I want to.
An looking for some direction in accessing a streaming service primarily for sports with some news. I would need to be able to record the event to watch later. You have to know that my technical expertise consists of finding the right remote to use of the 2 that are available.
I will look for an appropriate kid to read and explain all replies.
A combination of YouTube TV ($65) and a VPN ($10-20) per month would get you DVR capability
and a good range of TV shows, I would think. That's what I did when I dropped DishTV.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Do you have access to the internet? Somebody I know (ahem) has a streaming service with thousands of channels for just a few dollars a month.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
what sports do you watch? I pay MLB>TV for 145 for the season get all the games phone lap top tvs .. also use NFL for 90 season also every game....

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
As i said before Appologroup tv = all the channels you can possibly want, NFL football, Hockey, all the news channels and i imagine Baseball as well.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
As i said before Appologroup tv = all the channels you can possibly want, NFL football, Hockey, all the news channels and i imagine Baseball as well.
Interested... Does this also give college football?
Unfortunately, Appologroup TV doesn't list out it's channels.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Do you have access to the internet? Somebody I know (ahem) has a streaming service with thousands of channels for just a few dollars a month.
My SmartTV (Samsung) had to have a re-build done on it a couple of years ago. Had to give up WIFI connectivity. Can I access this streaming service without WIFI on TV ?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Get yourself an Android box and run an APK such as Kodi. I haven't paid for TV in years and can stream all sports, movies and tv shows. 1000's of free channels.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I can buy MLB for my iPad and phone. 145USA per year. It gives me every game played. But I can only watch live or archived games. I need to know
1) how to get it from my ipad to my TV
2) how can I tape a live game to watch it later?
And, we do have one of those AHEMs. Works ok for a lot of channels. But baseball, our main sport is not streamed well. USA football is ok on AHEM. News is also ok on AHEM. If I can solve the baseball problem I can dump DISH.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
My SmartTV (Samsung) had to have a re-build done on it a couple of years ago. Had to give up WIFI connectivity. Can I access this streaming service without WIFI on TV ?
Yes. Your smart TV should have an HDMI and a network cable plug on the back panel. You should buy a streaming box since I've always been told the streaming capabilities of the installed box is very limited.

So you buy a streaming box. I'm told a Firestick or a Buzz box are excellent choices.
Run a network or HDMI cable from your router to your new streaming box.
Run an HDMI or network cable out of your streaming box and plug it into your TV.
Acquire the services of a streaming service who will walk you through the simple configuration.
Enjoy!

Reactions: ando1991

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Just to give an idea of the possibilities , here is the current set up for live TV at the Buffness household :

Airtv ...streamed from US house > DR > Free/month > live local US FTA 🇺🇸

TIVO ...streamed from US house > DR > Free/month > live local US FTA 🇺🇸, still not sure why we have this . 🤔

IPTV > $12/month 🇧🇷🇺🇸🇬🇧

UKTV service > $10/month🇬🇧

Own US VPN with own US IP address for other streaming sevices like Disney for the kids, Hulu etc🇺🇸

Reactions: Lucifer

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Tv boxes are good for watching you tube and movies but if you want network news stations or sports your'e going to have to pay. I know 3 people that are signed up with the appolo group and they get everything, I'll sign up for it at the beginning of NFL season.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Tv boxes are good for watching you tube and movies but if you want network news stations or sports your'e going to have to pay. I know 3 people that are signed up with the appolo group and they get everything, I'll sign up for it at the beginning of NFL season.
The person I know gets not only network news stations, but they get every city's local news of every network of most every country in the world.

They watch CBS Chicago on Saturdays because they like Adriana Diaz, ABC Miami or New York for nightly news, CNBC because they like Shep Smith. They can watch that channel in SD or UHD.

9000+ TV Stations.

41000 movies: Many new releases before they hit DR theaters (We watched Lost City of D last night, and will watch Dr. Strange today)
Sports? Every sport you can think of. Thousands of stations as well.

All for a few dollars a month.

Reactions: Lucifer

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The person I know gets not only network news stations, but they get every city's local news of every network of most every country in the world.

They watch CBS Chicago on Saturdays because they like Adriana Diaz, ABC Miami or New York for nightly news, CNBC because they like Shep Smith. They can watch that channel in SD or UHD.

9000+ TV Stations.

41000 movies: Many new releases before they hit DR theaters (We watched Lost City of D last night, and will watch Dr. Strange today)
Sports? Every sport you can think of. Thousands of stations as well.

All for a few dollars a month.
Exactly.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Yes. Your smart TV should have an HDMI and a network cable plug on the back panel. You should buy a streaming box since I've always been told the streaming capabilities of the installed box is very limited.

So you buy a streaming box. I'm told a Firestick or a Buzz box are excellent choices.
Run a network or HDMI cable from your router to your new streaming box.
Run an HDMI or network cable out of your streaming box and plug it into your TV.
Acquire the services of a streaming service who will walk you through the simple configuration.
Enjoy!
Ok - I know I am TV/STREAMING BOX challenged so maybe you can help me out here : I already have a Firestick attached to the non-WIFI capable Smart TV (via HDMI connection.) The Firestick connects to my router wirelessly - so I guess I have everything I need already ?

And by the way - the router is nowhere near the TV so "running a network or HDMI cable from the router" is not feasible - but if the Firestick is already connected to the router why would I even need this?