Florida: Haiti’s Special Olympics Team Vanish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2007
USA GDP per capita: $60,000

DR GDP per capite: $17,000

USA is more than 3.5 times wealthier than the DR.

The poorest people in the USA don't live in slums, have running water, electricity 24/7, they call 911 and in minutes the police/firefighters/ambulance appears, not a single hospital will give you something or kill you, clean streets, every bun sticks to a toiletwhen the time comes, etc.

The poorest people in the DR do live in slums, don't have 24/7 running water in their home, 24/7 electricity, they call 911 and we shall see when they get there if at all, many public hospitals are not designed for people, garbage is a problem in many places, there are not enough toilets for every bun and thetoilets that exist not all function the way they should, etc.

I agree. Comparisons between economies and cultures are not always accurate and should only be very carefully analyzed and made.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Imagine, if you will... stepping off of a plane into an alternate universe. A universe that is a million times better than the one you came from.

Reactions: jd426 and Astucia

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Imagine, if you will... stepping off of a plane into an alternate universe. A universe that is a million times better than the one you came from.
Interesting statement, I imagine that there's about a billion people in the world that dream of doing just that. It just doesn't work out that way.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
The poorest people in the USA don't live in slums, have running water, electricity 24/7, they call 911 and in minutes the police/firefighters/ambulance appears, not a single hospital will give you something or kill you, clean streets, every bun sticks to a toiletwhen the time comes, etc.

It’s almost 2020, and 2 million Americans still don’t have running water, according to new report

Been to San Fransisco lately?

24/7 electricity?

This is precisely why I hate these sweeping generalizations there are always exceptions. For the most part you are correct but please try not to make these type of absolute statements.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Yep. Imagine a tin shack, dirt floor, no running water, in a nasty barrio anywhere here in the DR. And this is WAAAAAY better than where they escaped from.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

It’s almost 2020, and 2 million Americans still don’t have running water, according to new report

Been to San Fransisco lately?

24/7 electricity?

This is precisely why I hate these sweeping generalizations there are always exceptions. For the most part you are correct but please try not to make these type of absolute statements.

SF is different than the DR. Their problems are self inflicted. No sympathy.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Yep. Imagine a tin shack, dirt floor, no running water, in a nasty barrio anywhere here in the DR. And this is WAAAAAY better than where they escaped from.
They are haitian nationals that were living in Haiti not DR. Shouldn't that read, "...in a nasty barrio anywhere in Haiti" or am I missing something? You said, "they escaped from". I suppose you mean the haitian special Olympics members that defected, or rather, went missing in USA.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

The poorest people in the DR do live in slums, don't have 24/7 running water in their home, 24/7 electricity, they call 911 and we shall see when they get there if at all, many public hospitals are not designed for people, garbage is a problem in many places, there are not enough toilets for every bun and thetoilets that exist not all function the way they should, etc.
This is simply not true. Any response would be deleted of course since the only response needs to be a comparison...USA and they get deleted by the mods. Oh, sorry...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

None of these people have any of that. https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...&fw=&ll=&pl=&sq=&r=LYNXNPEBAJ03A&action=click

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
They are haitian nationals that were living in Haiti not DR. Shouldn't that read, "...in a nasty barrio anywhere in Haiti" or am I missing something? You said, "they escaped from". I suppose you mean the haitian special Olympics members that defected, or rather, went missing in USA.
I read it to mean that even the worst living conditions in DR are better than the average ones in Haiti

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
While nothing is ever absolute, I would think we can all agree that for the most part, life in the US or Canada or Europe is better than the live for most in Haiti and DR, as evidenced by the life risking plights these people take in order to get to those places.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Give it few a years.
America will be Latin America.

They are laying the ground work now for most of the things you mentioned above.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sounds like Latin America to me.
According to Google
the United States has the 3rd highest murder rate in the world.
If you remove Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC, Philadelphia and
St. Louis the United States is then 189th out of 193 countries in
the world.

All of the above cities have one thing in common. Not trying to
drag politics into this thread but I've no doubt most of you are
smart enough to figure it out.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
By the way, I saw on Fox online that a 7th dude has disappeared.

It may or may not work for those 7, but it's really going to complicate things for those Haitians that want a visa. All 7 of them I think are younger males. That demographic rarely gets any kind of visa.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Sounds like Latin America to me.
According to Google
the United States has the 3rd highest murder rate in the world.
If you remove Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC, Philadelphia and
St. Louis the United States is then 189th out of 193 countries in
the world.

All of the above cities have one thing in common. Not trying to
drag politics into this thread but I've no doubt most of you are
smart enough to figure it out.
You and those pesky facts that are so triggering. That is not my truth...la la la la la la la...... :ROFLMAO:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
By the way, I saw on Fox online that a 7th dude has disappeared.

It may or may not work for those 7, but it's really going to complicate things for those Haitians that want a visa. All 7 of them I think are younger males. That demographic rarely gets any kind of visa.
FACT:
All of the young men of fighting age (pick a "minority" country)
are fleeing rather than fighting. Cowards. I've zero respect for any of them.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
FACT:
All of the young men of fighting age (pick a "minority" country)
are fleeing rather than fighting. Cowards. I've zero respect for any of them.
Your white privilege is showing

When have you ever had to make such decisions? Never is the answer.

And of course you have much more wealth, freedom, and passport that makes it easy to travel and do as you please. You would not last a week where they came from but you always have to be the tough contrarian. Ridiculous...:rolleyes:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.