Need Recommend Courier Service for Cigars U.S. < D.R.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

I hope you are safe and happy.

A few years ago I ordered cigars from CI in the U.S. via Vimenpaq. For reasons that they never explained, Vimenpaq blocked the order in Miami and told me that cigars could not be shipped. It took one month for Vimenpaq to return my order to the merchant and another month to receive my refund. It was a mess.

At that time, when I posted here, several of you gave recommendations for courier services with physical addresses in the U.S. that would ship cigars to the D.R. That information is now dated, so I'm re-posting the original question:

Is there a Dominican courier service with a physical address in the U.S. that will permit me to ship cigars to the D.R. from the U.S.?
Needless to say, any order I make will be less than $200.00. I'm not sure which is worse: La Aduana or Eternal Damnation.

Some family members have offered to gift me "a box of primo cigars." I think that if they new what "a box of primo cigars" cost, they'd have second thoughts. So I'm just going to ask for a few of Nicaraugua Padron . . .

If I get a recommendation here I will set up an online account and also query customer service to get documentation in writing that this is a "go"!

Thank you!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hello All,

A few years ago I ordered cigars from CI in the U.S. via Vimenpaq. For reasons that they never explained, Vimenpaq blocked the order in Miami and told me that cigars could not be shipped. It took one month for Vimenpaq to return my order to the merchant and another month to receive my refund. It was a mess.

At that time, when I posted here, several of you gave recommendations for courier services with physical addresses in the U.S. that would ship cigars to the D.R. That information is now dated, so I'm re-posting the original question:

Is there a Dominican courier service with a physical address in the U.S. that will permit me to ship cigars to the D.R. from the U.S.?
Needless to say, any order I make will be less than $200.00. I'm not sure which is worse: La Aduana or Eternal Damnation.

Some family members have offered to gift me "a box of primo cigars." I think that if they new what "a box of primo cigars" cost, they'd have second thoughts. So I'm just going to ask for a few of Nicaraugua Padron . . .

If I get a recommendation here I will set up an online account and also query customer service to get documentation in writing that this is a "go"!

Thank you!
Have you checked out JUMBO or Sirena and check out the cigars they have? There are a few good cigar stores in and around the colonial city.
There used to be a really good cigar store in Silver Sun Gallery, and a small shop on the second floor of Malecon Center, but I'm guessing they're gone now.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Have you checked out JUMBO or Sirena and check out the cigars they have? There are a few good cigar stores in and around the colonial city.
There used to be a really good cigar store in Silver Sun Gallery, and a small shop on the second floor of Malecon Center, but I'm guessing they're gone now.
I have no issue getting great cigars here. As I said in my post, my family in the U.S. is gifting me cigars and they will be sending them to me from the U.S. and I need a courier service that will not prohibit this as Vimenpaq did.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Hello All,

Thank you!
I been using Domex for about 8 years without issues and they deliver to my house in Sto. Dgo. Este. I've never shipped cigars though but you can call them and ask. I think they deliver to your house in most of the major cities in DR.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I don't know which courier CC used, but he bought all of his from the US.

I have received cigars via Domex, but small quantities. I'd bet a box would be delivered without issues.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
I been using Domex for about 8 years without issues and they deliver to my house in Sto. Dgo. Este. I've never shipped cigars though but you can call them and ask. I think they deliver to your house in most of the major cities in DR.

Thank you. I am impressed by the well-designed website. I have emailed the main office in Sto. Dom. with my question and I'm waiting their response. I also noted in my email that my order would be < 200 USD. Really? They deliver to your house? How does that work?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Thank you. I am impressed by the well-designed website. I have emailed the main office in Sto. Dom. with my question and I'm waiting their response. I also noted in my email that my order would be < 200 USD. Really? They deliver to your house? How does that work?
Anything I order online is sent to a location in Miami. When the package arrives in DR and is available for pickup or delivery, I select delivery and pay any fees online on their payment page. They deliver the package to my registered address usually within 24 hours of payment.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Thank you. I have emailed the main office of domex.do in Sto. Dom. with my question. If that doesn't work out, BM Cargo will be my Plan B.
Once they create your account, ask them to give you an username and password so you can use their services and pay online if you choose.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Lucas. I was in the DR a month ago for some time and had the same problem with Vimenpaq. My 25 box was also refused. They told me that every package of more than 10 cigars need a permission from sanidad and are due to special taxes.
So it is not Vimenpaq but the DR.
So think twice before shipping in boxes.

What I did was ordering 9 at the time, on my account and my wife’s.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014

I have followed up with an inquiry at Domex. As far as customer service is concerned, this company is a waste of time. I wrote to the main office email with my question and did receive a rapid and professional response. However, rather than answering my question--indeed, they are the main office--they shoved me off to another division related to Domex and Customs via another email address. I then wrote to that address. No response. Then I sent a second email to that address. No response. Why couldn't the Main Office simply make the inquiry internally and answer my question. After all, I am a potential Domex client. Per usual, customer service in the D.R. gets a FAIL. If you do happen to get quality customer service, that's the rare exception, not the rule. I am now writing to info@aduans.gob.do and making an inquiry there--taking it from the horse's mouth, as it were. We'll see what happens. I'll just never forget how Vimenpaq blocked a packet of five cigars in Miami a few years ago and it took me two months to get my refund AND they never explained the reason for the block.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I have followed up with an inquiry at Domex. As far as customer service is concerned, this company is a waste of time. I wrote to the main office email with my question and did receive a rapid and professional response. However, rather than answering my question--indeed, they are the main office--they shoved me off to another division related to Domex and Customs via another email address. I then wrote to that address. No response. Then I sent a second email to that address. No response. Why couldn't the Main Office simply make the inquiry internally and answer my question. After all, I am a potential Domex client. Per usual, customer service in the D.R. gets a FAIL. If you do happen to get quality customer service, that's the rare exception, not the rule. I am now writing to info@aduans.gob.do and making an inquiry there--taking it from the horse's mouth, as it were. We'll see what happens. I'll just never forget how Vimenpaq blocked a packet of five cigars in Miami a few years ago and it took me two months to get my refund AND they never explained the reason for the block.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Domex costumer service. My rare costumer support interactions with Domex have been acceptable.

I just called Domex Miami at 1-305-599-3939 and spoke with Roberto. He tells me that the limit is ten (10) cigars. That is, if you ship ten cigars or less to DR there is no issue. The conversation was quick and pleasant.

Reactions: Lucas61

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I use BM cargo for my cigars from USA never a problem , just keep your order under 200usd

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Domex costumer service. My rare costumer support interactions with Domex have been acceptable.

I just called Domex Miami at 1-305-599-3939 and spoke with Roberto. He tells me that the limit is ten (10) cigars. That is, if you ship ten cigars or less to DR there is no issue. The conversation was quick and pleasant.
Told you.